• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

A little? 

Nice 1st half hour, and incredibly slow and plodding last hour. 

It's like they read and followed "Everything I ever needed to know about ending a film/show I learned from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings" when they wrote this episode...Complete with "There and Back Again, A Hobbit's Tale" included. 

They out Jackson'd Jackson in many regards making their wrap up longer than the central events of the episode. 

I wonder if it was Martin's desire to see ALL of the portents, omens, set-ups, prophecies and sneaky back stories of hidden royal lineage amount to a steaming pile of beans on a hot day in the end. If it was, cool. If it wasn't then I hope the checks were fat enough to sooth the burn. 

Thank God that's over with. 

I was trying to be kind, lol.

GRRM made a s**t -ton of money rather late in life, as such, he has little reason or time to finish the series, because he's really too busy -busy being an old rich dude and enjoying it.  Kudos to him, but don't hold your breath for any sort of satisfying ending to materialize in any format, written or other wise.  We have no where to go but down.  I predict that the negative backlash over this season might just wave HBO off of one or more of the spin-offs.  Green lights have off switches too. I waited until a month ago to watch all 8 season for the first time, thinking it would pay-off.  I kinda regret it.  I can't get those 73 hours back.  I did enjoy at least 5 of the seasons, but it really slid hard when they ran out of material and even GRRM's notes. I definitely won't watch a spin-off, not unless it's over or cancelled and others have weighed in on whether or not it was worth it in the end. 

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

D&D I think did the best they could with the broad strokes they were given and if GRRM had another twenty years or so to finish the last two volumes and the show runners had two thousand + pages of source material they could have wrapped the series with the same quality we had grown accustomed, but alas that was not the case and we got what we got.

Like an unfinished painting only in egg tempura or burnt umber it’s missing the vibrancy and depth that multiple layers of glazes that add. 

2 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

D&D I think did the best they could with the broad strokes they were given and if GRRM had another twenty years or so to finish the last two volumes and the show runners had two thousand + pages of source material they could have wrapped the series with the same quality we had grown accustomed, but alas that was not the case and we got what we got.

Like an unfinished painting only in egg tempura or burnt umber it’s missing the vibrancy and depth that multiple layers of glazes that add. 

True but D&D didn't need to rush it.  HBO was OK with them having more seasons from my understanding.

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

True but D&D didn't need to rush it.  HBO was OK with them having more seasons from my understanding.

They wanted to move on to other things, wealth definitely has the ability to give you choices.  

8 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

If that's the "best they could" do, they should have asked for some help. If their only choice was altering character personalities, intelligence levels, moral codes, ethics sets, and all around decision making to turn them into B-movie plot-serving robots  they should have brought in someone to give them an alternative. And I'm not talking about one or two characters....it was nearly all of the main characters. Some of the writing became so hackneyed that it would have made more sense that the show runners were being held captive somewhere and hoped that the massive drop in quality of the show worked as a signal to SEND HELP! 

Edited by comix4fun

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

If that's the "best they could" do, they should have asked for some help. If their only choice was altering character personalities, intelligence levels, moral codes, ethics sets, and all around decision making to turn them into B-movie plot-serving robots  they should have brought in someone to give them an alternative. And I'm not talking about one or two characters....it was nearly all of the main characters. Some of the writing became so hackneyed that it would have made more sense that the show runners were being held captive somewhere and hoped that the massive drop in quality of the show worked as a signal to SEND HELP! 

I guess there are only so many GRRM’s you can call on in a pinch. 

I imagine there are very few who know how the series was supposed to end; the Show runners, GRRM maybe his wife or publisher I don’t think they trusted anybody else. 

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

But nobody would lend them a bat-signal!

33 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I'm pretty sure the people complaining and not enjoying the show have just as much right to tell you to STFU as you do to tell them to STFU.....which is none. 

Glad you enjoyed it. 

You understand I was taking things to silly extremes, right?  Just a way of trying to emphasize how much I love the show.

Thank you...I did enjoy it.

20 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Some of the writing became so hackneyed that it would have made more sense that the show runners were being held captive somewhere and hoped that the massive drop in quality of the show worked as a signal to SEND HELP! 

lol

1 hour ago, kimik said:

This was a great ending to the series. It really was the only logical way to do it.

Agreed. 

It's not all I wanted but it's enough for me to be satisfied and moreso knowing Martin is writing the prequel series.  

33 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Interesting to see the same actor portraying Robin Arryn, the misfit child grown up as a lord who sits on the council.

I almost didn't recognize him without a boob stuck to his face.

2 hours ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

Well, that was satisfying. Taken in isolation, the episode worked on many levels and (mainly) worked logically.

The problem was the rush to finish that led us to what we had. What we had was satisfactorily concluded.

I'd go so far as to say that this was one of the best episodes of this season in that it (mainly) all held together and we had a number of scenes that reminded us of how good the show used to be. Given what we might have ended up with, I'll take this.

This sums up my thoughts as well.

4 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Is there anyone here who has only watched the TV series and has never (and has no plan to) read the books?

Yes

Good ending, little clarity and honesty at the end. Monsters got reveled, heroes suffer as needed, and the world is still a crappy place, just with less chance of dying for Targaryen wish fulfillment.

Im fine with the choices made this season (The night king getting scooby-dooed not so much but Arya needed a signature kill to help launch her series so no biggie). I just wish they had it at least be a normal length season so it would have felt less breakneck.

I bet if you make all these same decisions but spread out over a normal season you get a lot less blowback. Make it two seasons and most would walk with you happily. 

I loved the touch of filling in Jaimes page. It was the joke his had very little entered. It was fitting to add that scene.