• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

The King Beyond the Wall will work out better for him - he has a thing for redheads with an attitude (and I don't mean Tormund).

Up North sometimes you have to make do with what you've got. :) 

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Interesting to see the same actor portraying Robin Arryn, the misfit child grown up as a lord who sits on the council.

I wonder if he has learned to shoot the ol' bow and arrow yet. 

6 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

I can live with it, but to quote Jon Snow “It doesn’t feel right”.

Fingers crossed that we eventually see the books.

My biggest issue: 

Hide contents

Would it have been too much to ask for them to give Jon one kingly act and have him order Drogon to burn the throne instead of cowering down?  He is a damn Targaryen /Stark after all.

I felt like...

Spoiler

even though he had fear, he also stood there ready to meet his fate.

Plus, he was emotionally overwhelmed in having felt forced to kill his queen, and the woman he loved. But he had performed his duty nonetheless, even though betrayal is against his values

So Jon would be a mess already. Still, ready to die if Drogon struck.

6 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I think it would have been nice if John gave a little smirk when he was told he was going back to the Wall. Also I'm not sure why Tyrion, Sansa or Arya didn't bring up John's heritage at the end, I'm guessing they thought the people of Westreos were not keen on having another Targaryen King/Queen for Westeros?

It was sad to see this story line fizzle out.  All the build up of Jon's true heritage and other characters wanting him to claim the throne only to be treated like a bast  ard   in the end. :facepalm:

Edited by Catwomancomics

10 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

It was sad to see this story line fizzle out.  All the build up of Jon's true heritage and other characters wanting him to claim the throne only to be treated like a bast  ard   in the end. :facepalm:

Really?

I think that Jon's storyline was about the most unfizzled-out in the whole show. It was him that finally 'broke the wheel'. It was his actions that led to the destruction of the cause of all of this...the Iron Throne. He was the hero because he had to do the unthinkable for all the right reasons...but even then, questioned whether he had been right to do so.

9 minutes ago, bane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And when he does the unthinkable I didn't really care.

What he does to Dany really brought no emotion from me because its all been rushed to get there.

All of the deaths in this show for me at least have brought forth some emotion... 

Ned Stark
Red Wedding - I shouted at the TV that I could not believe this was happening.
Joffrey - I rejoiced when he breathed his last.
Walder Frey & Littlefinger - I loved it when Arya slit their throats
Ramsay Bolton - When Sansa feeds him to the hounds after Jon beats the out of him, awesome.
Jorah - protecting his queen was great
Theon - redeemed, great scene

Jon stabbing Dany, didn't care. I should have, it should have brought some emotion but I didn't care.

To be honest season 8 has made Jon Snow nothing more than a bland secondary character sat on the sidelines, I've been disappointed with the way he's been handled. My opinion of course.

Well said.

7 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I predict that the negative backlash over this season might just wave HBO off of one or more of the spin-offs.

Yea, just like the solid decade of beeching about Star Wars Episodes 1 through 3 waved Disney off of Star Wars.  Just as was the case with those films they will look at the revenue records that got set and gauge viewer demand from that.

Whoa! Second largest market and it was blanketed.

The burning question for millions of "Game of Thrones" fans in China on Monday: Is the US-China trade war now being fought in the battlefields of Westeros?

Tencent, the Chinese internet juggernaut whose video platform owns the streaming rights to the HBO series in the country, shocked viewers Monday morning when it announced a delay in posting the American show's eagerly anticipated finale "due to a media transmission problem."

The brief statement didn't give a new air date, and the company declined to provide further detail. HBO, which like CNN is owned by WarnerMedia, said in a statement that it "had no issue with content delivery."

"You would have to get further clarification from Tencent," HBO added.

:whatthe:

Why exactly did Drogon burn the throne?  I get that he was upset about Dany's death, but I didn't get why he focused his fire right on the throne and as soon as it melted he stopped.  Was it incidental and he didn't realize what was in front of him, or was it intentional?

And why the heck didn't he gobble Jon up in one bite?  Are we to assume it's just because he's Targaryen?  Targaryen or not, he just killed his "mom."  I had no idea why he didn't focus his rage on Jon but instead pointed away from him and at the throne.  ???

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why exactly did Drogon burn the throne?  I get that he was upset about Dany's death, but I didn't get why he focused his fire right on the throne and as soon as it melted he stopped.  Was it incidental and he didn't realize what was in front of him, or was it intentional?

And why the heck didn't he gobble Jon up in one bite?  Are we to assume it's just because he's Targaryen?  Targaryen or not, he just killed his "mom."  I had no idea why he didn't focus his rage on Jon but instead pointed away from him and at the throne.  ???

I think with Drogon melting down the throne, it was symbolism for all the deaths and pain suffered to finally sit upon that seat. Including his brothers dead for it. So with Dany gone, he wanted nobody to have it.

I think with Jon, it came down to the Targaryen loyalty. No matter how much he wanted to roast him on the spot. He didn't have to obey him. But he couldn't kill him.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think with Drogon melting down the throne, it was symbolism for all the deaths and pain suffered to finally sit upon that seat. Including his brothers dead for it. So with Dany gone, he wanted nobody to have it.

I think with Jon, it came down to the Targaryen loyalty. No matter how much he wanted to roast him on the spot. He didn't have to obey him. But he couldn't kill him.

Are GoT dragons supposed to be smart enough to understand human society or symbolism?  I didn't see them demonstrated as being significantly smarter than horses.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Are GoT dragons supposed to be smart enough to understand human society or symbolism?  I didn't see them demonstrated as being significantly smarter than horses.

Do horses stare intensely when you kiss their adopted mother? It was like he was judging if Jon was good enough to be her partner.

emotion01.gif.05ef742ee2a99ab211dc1571eaf0d77a.gif

:baiting:

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Have to agree with this. It felt a bit odd.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Do horses stare intensely when you kiss their adopted mother? It was like he was judging if Jon was good enough to be her partner.

I have no idea what's going on their minds, I'm mostly asking to see if someone who has read the books has seen Martin describe their intelligence.  That dragon could be judging Jon, or he could just be thinking "do I need to eat this guy?  Looks like he's chewing on her face."

16 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I have no idea what's going on their minds, I'm mostly asking to see if someone who has read the books has seen Martin describe their intelligence.  That dragon could be judging Jon, or he could just be thinking "do I need to eat this guy?  Looks like he's chewing on her face."

George R.R. Martin was asked this at a 2007 comic convention.

In addition, he said that although AsoIaF dragons are intelligent, they cannot speak and will never evolve into the sort of dragons we see in Tolkien or Le Guin. Specifically he said’ "Drogon is never going to share witty aphorisms with Dany. The Targaryens rule by Fire and Blood and that is what the dragons represent in the story".