• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Good ending, little clarity and honesty at the end. Monsters got reveled, heroes suffer as needed, and the world is still a crappy place, just with less chance of dying for Targaryen wish fulfillment.

Im fine with the choices made this season (The night king getting scooby-dooed not so much but Arya needed a signature kill to help launch her series so no biggie). I just wish they had it at least be a normal length season so it would have felt less breakneck.

I bet if you make all these same decisions but spread out over a normal season you get a lot less blowback. Make it two seasons and most would walk with you happily. 

I loved the touch of filling in Jaimes page. It was the joke his had very little entered. It was fitting to add that scene.

Except, I wondered how she knew how to write so well? She was after all, a female in a male oriented world and if it was some kind of medieval world she probably would not have been schooled.

17 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

How did Jon entirely reject his heritage? Pretty sure he was the one riding Rhaegal.  

He was unaware of his heritage when he first rode Rhaegal.

He did not want his heritage known to anyone bar his 'family'. He did not want the throne that came with it.

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Except, I wondered how she knew how to write so well? She was after all, a female in a male oriented world and if it was some kind of medieval world she probably would not have been schooled.

She was high borne.  Her father was a Lord.  She would've been educated.    

The market for GoT toys is definitely a fraction of the market for Star Wars or Marvel though.  It's an adult show, and the action figures that are made from it are geared towards adults, too, in terms of detail and price point.  Action figures for kids usually cost $5 to $10, but the GoT toys I've seen all cost $20 and up.

9 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You understand I was taking things to silly extremes, right?  Just a way of trying to emphasize how much I love the show.

Thank you...I did enjoy it.

Absolutely, I got that. Just stating you're free to feel however you want about it, even if you hated it. It's a great thing to find enjoyment in something that could ( and did ) go different ways for different people.

So hear me out here, the entire Game solved nothing in the long run? 

For the entire Westeros history they have had a monarchy government.  Despite the major hiccup where the Targaryens lost the throne, succession has been mainly blood birth.  A bad system but one the rulers and the people understood.  

Now they have a hastily conceived and arranged Aristocracy that will pick each successive king (maybe Queen), comprised of 6 kingdoms that do not really get along that well (just at war for the last 10 ish years just in the series). Many of the players on this new council are new as several major families have been destroyed and replaced. 

Yeah, that is going to go well when Bran dies (or is killed). The wheel may have been broken, but a new one that has just as many issues has been put right back in its place.

Maybe this has been GRRM's intention from the start, but the series solved nothing in the long run, it has just given Westeros short reprieve. 

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The market for GoT toys is definitely a fraction of the market for Star Wars or Marvel though.  It's an adult show, and the action figures that are made from it are geared towards adults, too, in terms of detail and price point.  Action figures for kids usually cost $5 to $10, but the GoT toys I've seen all cost $20 and up.

precisely, GoT doesn't have a fraction the licensing potential of Star Wars-  because they can't market it to 9 year olds.  What are they gonna do? Make a Jon Snow Action figure and call him "Aunt-Man" and put it in a Happy Meal????

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

-Tyrion cries over conveniently placed brother and sister

-Jon walks up many steps

-Dany says she wants to “ liberate” the world. Does that literally mean kill all who oppose her instantly? Can we get a better look into this officially queened state of mind for more than 5 minutes and then stab her? :censored:

-Tyrion tells Jon to make the choice now, as in kill her now (?), and be the savior (and obviously new king) of Westeros. Fast forward and Tyrion (and the Starks?!?) make no mention of Jon’s true heritage? Wasn’t this plot “kind of a big deal” the whole :censored: show? No, The unsullied are obviously too scary to fight with so off you go Jon, to your “true” home I guess. Glad you petted Ghost but that didn’t save your story IMO.

-Tyrion arranges chairs. The council pulls them out to sit down and apparently this is hilarious. 

I don’t hate that Bran ended up as King. But the war against the Night King needed more episodes, Dany’s state of mind and perhaps eventual madness needed more episides, Bran becoming and ruling as King needed more episodes, if only just one. 

Not even any real twists at the end. Serious disappointment and having my annual series re watch will really lose its flavor. No way will I support their Star Wars flicks. 

THE NEW YORKER: Daenerys Tells All!

Much of that frustration from fans came from the treatment of Emilia Clarke’s character, Daenerys Targaryen. Now Clarke has offered her own response to the petition.

Dany arrived in King’s Landing and went mad, burning the city and its citizens from the back of her dragon. Fans were not pleased with her villainous turn, and many weren’t happy with her ending in the finale either. Clarke admits that there are some things she would have changed about the show’s final season.

“Oh, my goodness,” Clarke said during an interview with The New Yorker. “Well, I can only speak to my own character, and the people that I interact with on the show. But I would’ve loved some more scenes with me and Missandei. I would’ve loved some more scenes with me and Cersei.

“I would’ve loved some more scenes between Grey Worm and Missandei. I would’ve loved to see a bit more between Cersei . . . I feel like there was . . . The genocide was there. That was always going to happen. And I just think more dissection and those beautifully written scenes that the boys have between characters—that we are more than happy to contently sit there and watch ten minutes of two people talking, because it’s beautiful. I just wanted to see a bit more of that. But I’m in no position to critique the geniuses that have written eight seasons’ worth of wonderful stuff.”

So...the reborn Azor Ahai....

Turned out Jon was the reborn Azor Ahai....

Lightbringer turned out to be (go with me on this) Tyrion.

Lightbringer could not be forged until it was used to kill the wife of its creator.....in her death Lightbringer was born.

Tyrion's mother died giving birth to him....in her death Tyrion was born.

Jon was unprepared...unarmed...to do what must be done to prevent darkness from overtaking the world. He tells Tyrion as much in Tyrion's cell. 

Tyrion, "arms" Jon, using his only gifts (knowledge, logic, and words), and gives him the weaponry needed to do what must be done. 

Hey, the showrunners suck, so I am gonna twist this pretzel of a plot into something that means something, somehow....

13 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Tyrion tells Jon to make the choice now, as in kill her now (?), and be the savior (and obviously new king) of Westeros. Fast forward and Tyrion (and the Starks?!?) make no mention of Jon’s true heritage? Wasn’t this plot “kind of a big deal” the whole :censored: show? No, The unsullied are obviously too scary to fight with so off you go Jon, to your “true” home I guess. Glad you petted Ghost but that didn’t save your story IMO.

Also once the Unsullied released Jon what reason did he have to go to the Night's Watch anyway?  If he had just done whatever after that what could they do?  Bran or Sansa could just pardon him and that's that.

Which they vividly illustrated at the end anyway.  He didn't stick with the Night's Watch, he just wandered off from Castle Black I assume to be King of the Wildlings.

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

So...the reborn Azor Ahai....

Turned out Jon was the reborn Azor Ahai....

Lightbringer turned out to be (go with me on this) Tyrion.

Lightbringer could not be forged until it was used to kill the wife of its creator.....in her death Lightbringer was born.

Tyrion's mother died giving birth to him....in her death Tyrion was born.

Jon was unprepared...unarmed...to do what must be done to prevent darkness from overtaking the world. He tells Tyrion as much in Tyrion's cell. 

Tyrion, "arms" Jon, using his only gifts (knowledge, logic, and words), and gives him the weaponry needed to do what must be done. 

Hey, the showrunners suck, so I am gonna twist this pretzel of a plot into something that means something, somehow....

Basically Bran is king, but Tyrion won, there is no way around that.  Bran clearly shows he is disinterested in being king, and Tyrion is the person who convinces the remaining loads as who should take the thrown, and then is elected Hand. That in and of itself is a second questionable decision behind making Bran king.  Despite Tyrion being my personal favorite, he failed twice at that job.

The cynical part of me says it is very convenient that the fan favorite character comes out on top.

I also question if based on timeline and ages if this ending would work in the books.  This series of events takes place over about 6 to 8 years.  In the book Bran is 5 or 6 years old when the story starts, so that would make him as young as 11 and as old as 14 when the story ends.  No mater what his experiences and evolution in to the three eye raven, that is not the individual any adult would pick as a ruler.  It makes somewhat more sense in the show where he is 3 or 4 years older, but it is still a stretch. 

4 hours ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

Really?

I think that Jon's storyline was about the most unfizzled-out in the whole show. It was him that finally 'broke the wheel'. It was his actions that led to the destruction of the cause of all of this...the Iron Throne. He was the hero because he had to do the unthinkable for all the right reasons...but even then, questioned whether he had been right to do so.

Yep.

He did what had to be done, risked death, got no reward, instead was punished... like all true heroes.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Why exactly did Drogon burn the throne?  I get that he was upset about Dany's death, but I didn't get why he focused his fire right on the throne and as soon as it melted he stopped.  Was it incidental and he didn't realize what was in front of him, or was it intentional?

And why the heck didn't he gobble Jon up in one bite?  Are we to assume it's just because he's Targaryen?  Targaryen or not, he just killed his "mom."  I had no idea why he didn't focus his rage on Jon but instead pointed away from him and at the throne.  ???

Dragons are supposed to be highly intelligent (even somewhat telepathic). He knew what and why Jon did what he did. Drogon mourned the loss of his mother, knew it was all because of that fing Iron Throne, and knew Jon had no choice. Drogon spared Jon because he knew.

IMO.

48 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Also once the Unsullied released Jon what reason did he have to go to the Night's Watch anyway?  If he had just done whatever after that what could they do?  Bran or Sansa could just pardon him and that's that.

Which they vividly illustrated at the end anyway.  He didn't stick with the Night's Watch, he just wandered off from Castle Black I assume to be King of the Wildlings.

He had no place in any of the kingdoms, and was a constant reminder of the Targaryens, though he COULD have come in handy if Drogon had ever come back some day.

But Jon really had nothing he wanted, just like from the beginning. He just wanted to go home.

1 hour ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

-Dany says she wants to “ liberate” the world. Does that literally mean kill all who oppose her instantly? Can we get a better look into this officially queened state of mind for more than 5 minutes and then stab her? :censored:

We had what, at least 5-6 seasons of her saying she's going to "take" the throne, "destroy" all he oppose her. What more of look into her state of mind do you need after 6 years of her saying she's going to do exactly what she did and why she was going to do it?