• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

Just an aside, even though she went off the deep end, I find myself sorry for and missing Dany. 

She's a tragic figure, as I see it was consumed with something akin to a disease. 

At the end, I even thought maybe she was thankful for Jon "saving" her in a sense.

Ugh - what a cluster F.  The last 2 episodes were just cringe worthy due to the insane fast pace of the 2nd to last episode and the snooze fest of the last episode.  They could have ended the series with the death of the white walkers and I'd have been happier then the crappy ending.  Oh well - the first 7 seasons were epic.

I'm ok with the way this episode went, especially after previous ones this season. It was a little more "Happy Ending" than I expected, but the war is over and life goes on, I guess.

I've heard it from others that it seemed as though the writers started with this episode/ending and worked backward which is why it felt so disjointed and I generally agree with that. They knew where they ultimately had to go and rushed to get there. It's like they just built the episodes around the major plot points outlined by GRRM without bothering to flesh out the story that would have connected them all together in a coherent manner.

28 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

I was disappointed with the finale. So many illogic things.

How could Jon Snow kill so easily Daenerys? She was always surrounded by bodyguards and suddenly she is alone in the burned castle?

What is the point with Arya and the white horse? We didn't see too much of her in the last episode. Was she not supposed to kill people with green eyes?

Tyrion finds the dead bodies of his brother and sister in just a few minutes?! Come on...

Even though I am disappointed with this last season, this was one of the TV shows ever. I feel empty and sad now that this is over :frown:

Not to mention how a portion of the red keep was rebuilt in days?  So Bran is elected king and selects his small council.  Given a few weeks may have passed between the election and the small council getting together, they have their first meeting in what appears to be King's Landing? The damage to the city would take years if not decades to rebuild. This is just the last issue in a long series of illogical time frames which have plagued the last two seasons.

Edited by drotto

26 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

How could Jon Snow kill so easily Daenerys? She was always surrounded by bodyguards and suddenly she is alone in the burned castle?

Drogon was guarding the entrance. 

I don't think anyone was going to get past him that wasn't supposed to.

I particularly liked the way Darth Dany, after disembarking the Star Destroyer Drogon, addressed the collective stormtroopers present regarding how the senate would be disbanded and replaced with the Empire....

Her speech would have been totally at home in any Star Wars film, or any megalomaniac's diatribe right here on earth prime. 
I liked that part, even if it was heavy handed..."Hey, just in case me slaughter innocents by the thousands and burning children alive wasn't enough to clue you into my character's arc...I'm taking the show on the road to Winterfell next!" 

The all black costume was an exclamation point on the end....

55 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Only a couple things that I questioned.  Greyworm takes Jon prisoner for 2 weeks instead of executing him when he has just killed their precious queen?  

This I agree with.

49 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

That would never happen with Jon. He seems to be incapable of lying even when it involves lying to very bad people for a very good reason.  After all, he was raised by the Honorable Ned Stark!

And this I agree with as well.

Just now, drotto said:

Not to mention how a portion of the red keep was rebuilt in days?  So Bran is elected king and selects his small council.  Given a few weeks may have passed between the election and the small council getting together, they have their first meeting in what appears to be King's Landing? The damage to the city would take years if not decades to rebuild. This is just the last issue in a long series of illogical time frames which have plagued the last two seasons.

I wonder if they disposed of the thousands of charred corpses and reestablished basic city functions before they switched gears to rebuilding the Navy and/or the Bordello industry....

1 minute ago, drotto said:

With Dany destroyed, the slave masters of Astapor quickly got back to their old ways.  As a thanks to Westeros for killing Dany, they loaned them enough slaves for a hasty rebuild.  

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

I wonder if they disposed of the thousands of charred corpses and reestablished basic city functions before they switched gears to rebuilding the Navy and/or the Bordello industry....

And how many people survived Mad Danys attack for the small council to rule over?

2 minutes ago, bane said:

And how many people survived Mad Danys attack for the small council to rule over?

Well they rule over 7 kingdoms, or 6 + the Riverlands now. There are 5 large cities in Westeros and many towns. King's Landing is just one of them. Agree about how KL was up and running in a matter of weeks though. In fact i hated everything about that small council scene.

Going to watch it again this evening. Hard to process everything at 4am.

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Her speech would have been totally at home in any Star Wars film, or any megalomaniac's diatribe right here on earth prime. 
I liked that part, even if it was heavy handed..."Hey, just in case me slaughter innocents by the thousands and burning children alive wasn't enough to clue you into my character's arc...I'm taking the show on the road to Winterfell next!" 

Seemed consistent with many of the deeds of kings and military commanders from the medieval period in Western civilization, or even the Renaissance or post-Renaissance periods.  Who was the worst from this list--Henry VIII, Napoleon, or Daenerys?

She thought she needed the people of Westeros to fear her.  Peacefully taking the throne wasn't going to achieve any measure of fear, but Drogon burning down King's Landing sure did.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, bane said:

She's only "mad" by modern standards.  By Medieval standards I'm not sure she makes the top 50 list of rulers doing awful sheet.

Edited by fantastic_four

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Seemed consistent with many of the deeds of kings and military commanders from the medieval period in Western civilization, or even the Renaissance or post-Renaissance periods.  Who was the worst from the list--Henry VIII, Napoleon, or Daenerys?

She thought she needed the people of Westeros to fear her.  Peacefully taking the throne wasn't going to achieve any measure of fear, but Drogon burning down King's Landing sure did.

To paraphase Tyrion...."if you added up all the murders, betrayal, executions, and destruction of the Mad King, Tywin and Cersei you wouldn't have 1/2 the death and destruction unleashed by Dany in just one day..."

It's especially dastardly given that her goal was "Liberation" and "Freeing" the oppressed people of Westeros....she wound up "liberating" them from their skins and wound up "freeing" them from living. 

And, if you are stating she was calm, calculating, and deliberative in her actions before she took them and not simply enraged and killing due to inflamed passions (or "madness")  then her actions are exponentially worse. That was, thematically, the point of that final scene between her and Jon.....it wasn't "madness" that took her over because is Missandei's murder, or any other action taken against her. It was who she had become. No redemption from that. 

11 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Well they rule over 7 kingdoms, or 6 + the Riverlands now. There are 5 large cities in Westeros and many towns. King's Landing is just one of them. Agree about how KL was up and running in a matter of weeks though. In fact i hated everything about that small council scene.

Going to watch it again this evening. Hard to process everything at 4am.

I meant just how many are left in KL.

It’s up and running because Bran has that universal remote Adam Sandler had in Click, stuck it on fast forward like most of this season.

Shamelessly stole this from the comments section on another site

So the Stark Direwolves were actually spoilers the whole time??

Jon / Ghost - He’s not really there anymore. He’s just gone.

Sansa / Lady - Queen of the North!

Arya / Nymeria - A fierce warrior who sailed the seas.

Bran / Summer - The enemy of Winter. A season of renewal.

Rob / Grey Wind - Quick, powerful but cannot sustain.

And my personal favorite...

Rickon / Shaggy Dog - in literature a Shaggy Dog is an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax.

Interesting way of looking at it...

19 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

Dany was unredeemable, she had gone from liberator to tyrant in a couple of episodes basically there was only one way for her story to end. 

Still felt that not only did the show need more time, but the threat resolution needed to be flipped.  In my mind, they needed to lose to the Night King, then realize the only way to win was to unit the kingdoms.  Once they determine who was sitting on the Iron Thrown only then would they have the power and knowledge to defeat the dead. Then you would have a united kingdom temporarily. 

This would have given some room for Dany to be redeemable.  In my thinking after Dany defeats the Night King, Westeros would become fractured again because of the amount of suffering, famine, death and destruction the winter had caused.  So despite her saving everyone by claiming the thrown she proves unable to rule without becoming a tyrant.  An understandable decent, based on her complete story arc and recent events.  This would allow her to be both a savior and then descend into a tyrant. So despite her great deeds, they are forced to eliminate her.

Edited by drotto

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

And, if you are stating she was calm, calculating, and deliberative in her actions before she took them and not simply enraged and killing due to inflamed passions (or "madness")  then her actions are exponentially worse.

But decidedly Medieval.  Injecting the reality of Medieval barbarism into the idealistic world Tolkien showed us is one of Martin's main innovations to medieval fantasy.  Heroic examples like Aragorn from Tolkien or Jon Snow here seem more a credulity stretch than what Daenerys became.