• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, drotto said:

Still felt that not only did the show need more time, but the threat resolution needed to be flipped.  In my mind, they needed to lose to the Night King, then realize the only way to win was to unit the kingdoms.  Once they determine who was sitting on the Iron Thrown only then would they have the power and knowledge to defeat the dead. Then you would have a united kingdom temporarily. 

This would have given some room for Dany to be redeemable.  In my thinking after Dany defeats the Night King, Westeros would become fractured again because of the amount of suffering, famine, death and destruction the winter had caused.  So despite her saving everyone by claiming the thrown she proves unable to rule without becoming a tyrant.  An understandable decent, based on her complete story arc and recent events.  This would allow her to be both a savior and then descend into a tyrant. So despite her great deeds, they are forced to eliminate her.

I agree everybody’s story arc needed more development but it is what it is. 

Im sure if GRRM ever finishes the GD books we’ll have a more complete understanding of why this or that happened but until then...

1 minute ago, topofthetotem said:

I agree everybody’s story arc needed more development but it is what it is. 

Im sure if GRRM ever finishes the GD books we’ll have a more complete understanding of why this or that happened but until then...

I think it is a coin flip at this point if the books will ever get finished.

56 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I'm just glad it's over and I can go back to 

no tv in my life.

I only read books 1-4 in 2012 to impress a chick and Chrisco. 

HBO's tomfoolery was a shoehorn. 

8 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

Yep, I’m not counting on it. Most likely finished off by someone else based on his notes. 

And by GRRM's own words he is not an author that outlines or takes a copious amount of notes.  He has said he outlines the major plot points, and main character beats, but the rest he tends to do as he writes.  He writes by letting the characters lead the story, not by establishing the plot points then figuring out how to get them from point A to point B. This would leave a ghost writer or even a co-writer very little to work with if he dies. It would also mean major tonal shifts are likely if anyone else takes over.

This is one of the major roadblocks that D&D ran into.

Edited by drotto

9 minutes ago, drotto said:

And by GRRM's own words he is not an author that outlines or takes a copious amount of notes.  He has said he outlines the major plot points, and main character beats, but the rest he tends to do as he writes.  He writes by letting the characters lead the story, not by establishing the plot points then figuring out how to get them from point A to point B. This would leave a ghost writer or even a co-writer very little to work with if he dies. It would also mean major tonal shifts are likely if anyone else takes over.

This is one of the major roadblocks that D&D ran into.

He has a partner in Iceland or something that keeps notes on everything Game of thrones that he often calls to make sure he is not breaking cannon as he writes the stories to keep everything straight. 

9 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

He has a partner in Iceland or something that keeps notes on everything Game of thrones that he often calls to make sure he is not breaking cannon as he writes the stories to keep everything straight. 

That seems more like a historian, not necessarily someone that knows everything he has planned.  Better than nothing, but still not the same.

He's got two partners, his two co-authors on the book intended to be an encyclopedia of Westeros.  Either or both could probably finish a version of the last book in the event of his death.

A1jxuAgQ+JL.jpg

I loved how Yara Greyjoy was always portrayed as a badass and Arya was able to shut her up with one sentence.

This video cuts it off, but the look that Arya is giving her and the look on Yara's face was priceless (she obviously would have been aware of Arya's reputation and what she was capable of).

Edited by Domo Arigato

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

He's got two partners, his two co-authors on the book intended to be an encyclopedia of Westeros.  Either or both could probably finish a version of the last book in the event of his death.

A1jxuAgQ+JL.jpg

Those 2 are toxic. You should see some of the stuff they have said over the years. Horrible people, especially Linda. Sadly the page listing everything has been taken down.

So can we agree that the true monster of the series was Bran who, after becoming the three eyed raven, used his prescience to coldly engineer his place his place as King?

1 minute ago, Anfield Fox said:

She dies at the same spot she puts down the torch

Cool.

I love visual references and foreshadowings like that.

The show generally did a good job of it; one miss was when Jamie pushed Bran out of the window. It should have been with the hand that was later cut off.

1 minute ago, RedRaven said:

So can we agree that the true monster of the series was Bran who, after becoming the three eyed raven, used his prescience to coldly engineer his place his place as King?

I can get behind that. The showrunners didn't have to beat us over the head with it, but they could have given us a wink and a nod.

I really hope this series doesn't suffer because of the vocal opposition to the final season. Hopefully, when we look back in 10 years it's not a case of taking 7 seasons to build a reputation and 5 episodes destroy it all.

11 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I can get behind that. The showrunners didn't have to beat us over the head with it, but they could have given us a wink and a nod.

I really hope this series doesn't suffer because of the vocal opposition to the final season. Hopefully, when we look back in 10 years it's not a case of taking 7 seasons to build a reputation and 5 episodes destroy it all.

I really doubt it. This show absolutely towers over any other program on pay cable or network.  It wasn’t a great final season but the body of work they achieved in this series won’t be replicated any time soon.   

I am now hopeful for the future of the series. Apparently GRRM only gave Dumb and Dumber a few plot points: 

It’s unclear how detailed that plan was—though rumors indicate Martin gave them less was once believed. Weiss and Benioff have revealed that Martin told them “three holy sh– moments” including Shireen Baratheon’s death, the meaning of Hodor’s name, and one final twist “from the very end.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/game-of-thrones-finale-jon-snow-kills-daenerys-foreshadowing-books

I agree with Robinson that the final twist was probably Jon having to kill Dany, and if that is true that means that all the other BS we had to put up with is an invention of the show. 

Edited by Kon_Jelly
quoted the wrong Joanna