• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

If so, I still don't get the symbolism.  That scene above was about people jockeying for position at the small council table.  

The scene in the last season was just Tyrion straightening the chairs up.  Then everyone comes in and haphazardly pulls them out to sit down with Tyrion seeming annoyed by it.  It didn't make any sense.  

I wasn't referring to the claim of symbolism.  I was pointing out the scene as a call back to an earlier scene.  And yeah, I think it was all about jockeying for position at the council table only this time it's Tyrion at the head of the table, not his father.

Just now, Unca Ben said:

I wasn't referring to the claim of symbolism.  I was pointing out the scene as a call back to an earlier scene.  And yeah, I think it was all about jockeying for position at the council table only this time it's Tyrion at the head of the table, not his father.

But that's my point.  They didn't Jockey for position in the more recent scene.  They all simply walked in, pulled their chairs out and sat down.....with Tyrion seemingly annoyed by the way they haphazardly pulled out their chairs.

Now....I get that they might have done that scene in an attempt to be funny.  In the earlier scene, Tywin was annoyed with Tyrion for making a lot of noise with his chair.....and then in the more recent scene, Tyrion was annoyed with everyone else for making noise with their chairs.  If that's the case, I sort of get it....but I also think it was stoopid, since he didn't really need to straighten the chairs up for this to happen.  It seemed more like he was annoyed that they messed up his neatly arranged chairs.  

On second thought....I still don't get it.....it was just stoopid. 

The only thing that I can see is that the empty chairs are more or less angled toward the head, making him the center of attention.

He moves them to point towards each other, maybe making it more of a "we" atmosphere, and not expect him to have all the answers.

15 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Mebbe this (?) -  Tyrion arranging chairs as to see who sits where in reference to an older scene:

I think you hit on the real reference. In reading some of the Reddit discussions about the scene (though these are probably people like us but with a background in film), they are leaning towards the same. Plus the symbolism in the scene.

REDDIT: That moment when you realize Tyrion moving chairs took more screentime then Dany's death

According to r/GoT, it's a reference to how Tyrion rearranged the chairs of the small council when he was first made hand, after taking over from Tywin. Tywin had all the chairs facing him, whereas Tyrion had everyone face the middle. Even if that was true, the execution was a joke.

I enjoyed that scene. Much can be said without words, and slow moments like that create contrast with more intense scenes, making both kinds shine brighter.

While I can’t know what anyone responsible had in mind for that scene in what relates to symbolism, what I saw was Tyrion with a newly-found dedication to do his job properly, mindful of the little things. First he was Hand by chance and cared more for the prestige, then under Dany he was Hand again but felt like he was a failure in that role (which honestly, he was). Now, in his third chance he never dreamed of receiving, he’s really trying his best to be competent — down to the arrangement of the chairs.

I don’t claim to be right, but this is my interpretation and I like it. Plus, it made me like the scene.

It would have been a great scene, if they gave the right amount of time to the important things.... but they didn’t.

It just shows how detail-oriented and maybe even anal retentive he is.. which is a nice thought. But not at all relevant to put in the last show of the last rushed season.

D&D: 'But he was setting things straight...literally.'

No doubt D&D were going for some not so subtle symbolism there, i.e. the hand of the king bringing order, and bringing the masters into line.

Truly though, I was just sitting there impatiently thinking "Okay we get it! This is as subtle as a kick to the loin!"

I think it was supposed to be a counterpoint to the time that he came in late, drunk, and obnoxiously dragged a chair over to the table. Now he's responsible, early to the meeting, and trying to make everything right as everyone else bumbles in like a[$$]holes.

But that's the stupidest thing to waste time on showing.

:whatthe:

You mean even they were a little frustrated with that scene?

Edited by Bosco685

I can not confirm this (and who has time to do like this), but I heard a that someone cut the final episode only using footage with no dialog and the episode ran 57 minutes with no speaking.  So apparently there are only about 20 minutes of dialog present in the final installment. 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:11 AM, fantastic_four said:

I didn't understand the explicit reason or symbolism of Tyrion rearranging the chairs either.  I could tell in the moment it was supposed to mean something, but I wasn't sure what.

He was trying to appear prepared without looking to prepared. Like you should respect the moment but "hey were all friends here". Its almost like first date coolness, how far do you push it without it coming across staged and potentially damaging?

I thought arranging the chairs so they were perfectly straight and even only to have everyone coming in and mess it all up was symbolic of Tyrion spending his entire time on the series trying to set things straight, and no one listening to him (or lying to him or doing their own thing), and screwing everything up. 

Edited by comix4fun

13 hours ago, drotto said:

I can not confirm this (and who has time to do like this), but I heard a that someone cut the final episode only using footage with no dialog and the episode ran 57 minutes with no speaking.  So apparently there are only about 20 minutes of dialog present in the final installment. 

Because D and D checked out to start working on the stupid new starwars trilogy

On 5/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, awakeintheashes said:

So, I take it Varys' message about Jon's true lineage never got disseminated. Or if it did, I guess the council just didn't care.

John's lineage only matters if you believe that the throne rightfully belonged to the Targaryans, and the only person who thought that was killed by John. 

2 minutes ago, rjpb said:
On 5/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, awakeintheashes said:

So, I take it Varys' message about Jon's true lineage never got disseminated. Or if it did, I guess the council just didn't care.

John's lineage only matters if you believe that the throne rightfully belonged to the Targaryans, and the only person who thought that was killed by John. 

79f054bb4726c52393ea1ba7a625e054.jpg 

Game of Thrones' final season might officially be in the books, but viewers can still tune in for one more look at the landmark series. Tonight, May 26th at 9/8c, HBO will be airing Game of Thrones: The Last Watch, a two-hour documentary that will dive into the making of the eighth and final season.

Per press release, "Game of Thrones: The Last Watch delves deep into the mud and blood to reveal the tears and triumphs involved in the challenge of bringing the fantasy world of Westeros to life in the very real studios, fields, and car-parks of Northern Ireland. The film will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand, and partners’ streaming platforms.

"Made with unprecedented access, Game of Thrones: The Last Watch is an up-close and personal report from the trenches of production, following the crew and the cast as they contend with extreme weather, punishing deadlines, and an ever-excited fandom hungry for spoilers. Much more than a 'making of' documentary, this is a funny, heartbreaking story, told with wit and intimacy, about the bittersweet pleasures of what it means to create a world — and then have to say goodbye to it."

22 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I thought arranging the chairs so they were perfectly straight and even only to have everyone coming in and mess it all up was symbolic of Tyrion spending his entire time on the series trying to set things straight, and no one listening to him (or lying to him or doing their own thing), and screwing everything up. 

He'll spend the rest of his life straightening those chairs.

@Gaard I'm with you on the disappointment.  The build up of the show was to have Daenerys or Jon on the throne. Or so we thought.  Which is why so many are upset. 

I watched episode 4 again and thought it was great.  It hinted at the outcome of the show. It's hard to remember all the conversations when you have to wait a week for the next one. Or two weeks after episode 4 for the finale.

Varys pointed out to Tyrion that only Jon Snow ( Targaryen father and Stark mother ) would be able to keep the North in the Seven Kingdoms.

When Tormund and Jon part, Tormund says to Jon that he would be happier in the North.  Jon replies that he wished he could go with him. So the ending makes since even though it's not what some of us wanted.  In episode 6 at the end, you can start to see a smirk from Jon as he rides North with Tormund.  Not the ending I wanted, but I'm okay with it.

Edited by Catwomancomics

I think you're touching on the essence of the upset.

This story has always been about not getting what we want - or what we think we want, but the story resonates and haunts more in the end.

This was such a complicated story, with so many characters that you had to know on some level you wouldn't be happy about some of the outcomes. Like life.

Even though it's simplistic, there is merit that the ending was rushed. They needed the seven or so episodes that would have made for two normal seasons to better found some characters motivations, set up some of the more improbable happenings. But at the end, everything would have been as it turned out. And we wouldn't be happy with some of it,