• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, bane said:

That time was allotted to the Tyrion chair straightening scene. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, Comicopolis said:

Did you not understand the symbolism of that?

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

So what was the symbolism?

14 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Order from chaos.

Chaos is a ladder.

Chaos is a chair.

Sorry, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I still vote for stoopid.

Now we know what the Night King and Bran shared with one another in that final scene.

'Can you believe we are finally shooting this scene after all that waiting?'

Miguel Sapochnik is the director on the Battle of the Bastards, The Winds of Winter, The Long Night and The Bells.

1 hour ago, Anfield Fox said:

I watched the documentry. It's really sad when people spend 2 seconds to sign a petition to remake season 8 when you see the blood, sweat and tears the thousands of people put into it over 2 years. Most are behind the camera or extras and get no plaudits. They spent 7 months building a set of Kings Landing for goodness sake!

It's not sad. They aren't signing the petition because the acting was bad or the effects were poor.

They signed it because it was rushed and the story telling lacked. Over 1.5 million people.

Edited by I like pie

I watched the documentry. It's really sad when people spend 2 seconds to sign a petition to remake season 8 when you see the blood, sweat and tears the thousands of people put into it over 2 years. Most are behind the camera or extras and get no plaudits. They spent 7 months building a set of Kings Landing for goodness sake!

What was really sad about the documentary was the fact that it drove home how hard people worked for something that two guys ruined. Everything about the show's production was absolutely top notch except for the writing, which is what the petition is about. 

2 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

How many other TV shows and movies had dedicated people who went thru large efforts to bring something to life?

GoT cast/crew didn't do anything that plenty of others haven't done.  

For that matter, how many people in business go thru the same thing?

When ur in the business of ultimately providing something for others, there is only one rule - "the customer is always right"

So when a sizeable portion of ur 'customer base' expresses disappointment with an aspect of your product ( in this case the writing), ur foolish not to listen.  Since the show is over they don't have to care and can have tone deaf responses.

38 minutes ago, csaag said:

How many other TV shows and movies had dedicated people who went thru large efforts to bring something to life?

GoT cast/crew didn't do anything that plenty of others haven't done.  

For that matter, how many people in business go thru the same thing?

When ur in the business of ultimately providing something for others, there is only one rule - "the customer is always right"

So when a sizeable portion of ur 'customer base' expresses disappointment with an aspect of your product ( in this case the writing), ur foolish not to listen.  Since the show is over they don't have to care and can have tone deaf responses.

Well the show may be finished but they are working on 4 or 5 spinoffs so HBO don't want the brand tarnished. Regardless It's just not realistic to remake a season of a TV show. It's never been done before let alone one that cost something like $100m or more. Neither do i think 1.5m is sizeable when it gets over 20 million viewers in the US, let alone worldwide.

I appreciate some people didn't like it. I was unhappy with the second half of the last episode. It's just not going to change though. The best you can hope for is GRRM's books being different, if they ever come out.

1 minute ago, Anfield Fox said:

Well the show may be finished but they are working on 4 or 5 spinoffs so HBO don't want the brand tarnished. Regardless It's just not realistic to remake a season of a TV show. It's never been done before let alone one that cost something like $100m or more. Neither do i think 1.5m is sizeable when it gets over 20 million viewers in the US, let alone worldwide.

I appreciate some people didn't like it. I was unhappy with the second half of the last episode. It's just not going to change though. The best you can hope for is GRRM's books being different, if they ever come out.

I don't think anyone that signed the petition actually believes the season will be remade, even if they hit 100 million signatures. The petition exists to make a statement about how terrible the 8th season was. 

2 hours ago, I like pie said:

It's not sad. They aren't signing the petition because the acting was bad or the effects were poor.

They signed it because it was rushed and the story telling lacked. Over 1.5 million people.

I ponder whether some of those 1.5 million folks are the same ones that consistently complained about a drop-off of writing quality once the show runners went from source to original material; from adaptation to original content.
I can see (but not necessarily excuse) the writers being tired of the criticism of their original content, year after year.  So instead of enduring a few more years of complaints, they rushed the ending to two shorter seasons so they could move on to other things.  Some folks were gonna be unhappy regardless, why prolong it.

I'm not saying the criticisms weren't justified; the quality did start to drop in parts of season 5.  And it's clear the story became very compressed in the last season and a half compared to prior seasons, which is a downright shame.  But when you have a story of Tolkienesque quality that journeymen are forced by necessity to complete, there are going to be some consequences.  Tolkiens and Frazettas don't grow on trees.

Sure, the producers might have moved on to other writers, but we don't know the details of what went on behind the scenes and what contractual and monetary obligations had to be considered.  So we got what we got.
I'm betting that the writers, more than anyone, wished things had been different.  Like more source material being generated within 8 years.

29 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

I ponder whether some of those 1.5 million folks are the same ones that consistently complained about a drop-off of writing quality once the show runners went from source to original material; from adaptation to original content.
I can see (but not necessarily excuse) the writers being tired of the criticism of their original content, year after year.  So instead of enduring a few more years of complaints, they rushed the ending to two shorter seasons so they could move on to other things.  Some folks were gonna be unhappy regardless, why prolong it.

I'm not saying the criticisms weren't justified; the quality did start to drop in parts of season 5.  And it's clear the story became very compressed in the last season and a half compared to prior seasons, which is a downright shame.  But when you have a story of Tolkienesque quality that journeymen are forced by necessity to complete, there are going to be some consequences.  Tolkiens and Frazettas don't grow on trees.

Sure, the producers might have moved on to other writers, but we don't know the details of what went on behind the scenes and what contractual and monetary obligations had to be considered.  So we got what we got.
I'm betting that the writers, more than anyone, wished things had been different.  Like more source material being generated within 8 years.

Except we do know that HBO offered more money and more seasons and D&D turned it down. 

And of course D&D wanted more source material. They had never written anything before they started Game of Thrones. That doesn't excuse what they did. If they knew that they were lacking in their ability to continue the story they should've brought in other people to do so. 

3 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Except we do know that HBO offered more money and more seasons and D&D turned it down. 

And of course D&D wanted more source material. They had never written anything before they started Game of Thrones. That doesn't excuse what they did. If they knew that they were lacking in their ability to continue the story they should've brought in other people to do so. 

Not true. Benioff had some impressive credits. 25th Hour (book and movie), Troy and Kite Runner.

Hate on D&D all you want but without them there would be no GoT. They convinced GRRM to do the show then managed to get HBO to produce it. GRRM has said before they came along he had a few offers for 2 hour movies telling Jon Snow's story or Daenery's story, leaving out the rest and of course all watered down PG13. 99% of the people who signed that petition would have never heard of ASOIAF if not for D&D.

Not true. Benioff had some impressive credits. 25th Hour (book and movie), Troy and Kite Runner.

I liked the 25th Hour, however for fun I looked up his other credits on RT for the critic consensus, sensing a theme.

Troy - “A brawny, entertaining spectacle, but lacking emotional resonance.”

The Kite runner - “Despite some fine performances, The Kite Runner is just shy of rendering the magic of the novel on to the big screen.”

This surprising as he/they were good at adapting GRRMs work.

Not forgetting:

Wolverine Origins - “Though Hugh Jackman gives his all, he can't help X-Men Origins: Wolverineovercome a cliche-ridden -script and familiar narrative.” :eek:

I don’t discount the fantastic work they did on the show, for what it’s worth the petition is just silly but for me I disliked the rushed last 2 seasons we got from a show that told a slow burn story.

I will be rewatching the whole thing in the future no doubt. (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, bane said:

I liked the 25th Hour, however for fun I looked up his other credits on RT for the critic consensus, sensing a theme.

Troy - “A brawny, entertaining spectacle, but lacking emotional resonance.”

The Kite runner - “Despite some fine performances, The Kite Runner is just shy of rendering the magic of the novel on to the big screen.”

This surprising as he/they were good at adapting GRRMs work.

Not forgetting:

Wolverine Origins - “Though Hugh Jackman gives his all, he can't help X-Men Origins: Wolverineovercome a cliche-ridden --script and familiar narrative.” :eek:

I don’t discount the fantastic work they did on the show, for what it’s worth the petition is just silly but for me I disliked the rushed last 2 seasons we got from a show that told a slow burn story.

I will be rewatching the whole thing in the future no doubt. (thumbsu

Well I loved Origins Wolverine. It's my guilty pleasure. Fox screwed up Deadpool. And i know you liked it too, unless you changed your mind since :baiting:

3 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Well I loved Origins Wolverine. It's my guilty pleasure. Fox screwed up Deadpool. And i know you liked it too, unless you changed your mind since :baiting:

With the Origins: Wolverine movie. Act 1 and 2 are actually entertaining and reference very interesting source material (Origin #1-6, Wolverine Vol. 2 #10 and some of and some of Marvel Comics Presents #72-84). It's that Act 3 that goes off so far, I'm not sure what the thinking was. Such a shame. It could have been at least a good Wolverine movie.

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

With the Origins: Wolverine movie. Act 1 and 2 are actually entertaining and reference very interesting source material (Origin #1-6, Wolverine Vol. 2 #10 and some of and some of Marvel Comics Presents #72-84). It's that Act 3 that goes off so far, I'm not sure what the thinking was. Such a shame. It could have been at least a good Wolverine movie.

Wasn't there a scheduling conflict with Ryan Reynolds?  Didn't they have to think of a way to use Deadpool without everyone knowing it wasn't Reynolds?.

It was clear in the documentary who had and who had not read the final --script before coming to the table for the cast reading.

Kit Harrington had clearly NOT read the --script beforehand.

ETA: And the actor who played Varys looked a bit ticked at his death.

Edited by jcjames