• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

Man, the announcer had to warm up the audience by asking them to please be positive before bringing out the cast.

He did everything short of saying "Please don't boo", lol.

To have it be the "Final Sendoff" of the cast without having the major players there (Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Lena Headey, etc.) was kind of meh.

If you were one of the many people that thought Drogon turning away from Jon Snow and burning the Iron Throne after watching Daenerys die in the series finale of Game of Thrones, you'll probably think even less about the moment now. After being nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for the writing of the finale, HBO released the full -script for the episode online for all to read. Somehow, some way, the scene of the throne melting is even worse on the page than it was on the screen.

Drogon was eternally faithful to Daenerys for the entirety of his life, and it was proven time and time again that he'd do anything to protect her. So while it seemed absurd for Drogon not to kill Jon and burn the Iron Throne instead, there was a notion amongst fans that there was at least a deeper meaning to it. The ever-intelligent dragon noticed that the throne was the subject of his mother's desires, and that it was the sole cause of her downfall, so he decided to destroy it and rid the world of its evil. However, the -script makes it clear that this isn't the case at all.

According to the -script, the Iron Throne was simply a "dumb bystander" in Drogon's way as he lashed out at the world around him in anger. It specifically states that he chose not to kill Jon, though no reason is given, and that Drogon wants to "burn the world."

"We look over Jon's shoulder as the fire sweeps toward the throne -- not the target of Drogon's wrath, just a dumb bystander caught up in the conflagration."

drogon-the-iron-throne-1181284.jpeg?auto

Another major misstep in this section of the -script comes at the very end of the screenshot above, where producers/writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss seem to answer an audience question for them in the -script itself, despite it never being asked by the characters in the show.

"Who will sit on the Iron Throne? No one."

:frustrated:

The Creator of Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin, wanted to reassure excited readers when the final books come out in this long-running series new tales will be told.

"Come 2066 when the next book comes out, this is going to be all brand new material. Promise, You can hold me to it. Of course, only if I am still walking this Earth by that time."

Spoiler

:insane:

Game of Thrones creator George RR Martin won’t change what he plans to write to finish out his book series, even though some possible endings have already been explored on the HBO television show based on his novels.

Speaking to The Guardian, Martin said that the TV show version had not been “very good” for him, and said the TV endings won’t influence his path on the remaining two novels in the GoT series.

Many fans agree with Martin that the endings on TV weren’t very good. An online petition calling for a rewrite on the final season garnered over a million signees, and at San Diego Comic Con last month, the GoT panel began with a plea for civility, so high were passions running against the TV show’s creators.

“Of course HBO are going to change the whole thing, “ joked Nikolaj Coster-Waldau during that SDCC panel.

The 70-year-old Martin lamented to The Guardian that the show and his new-found celebrity actually slowed down his writing.

“The very thing that should have speeded me up actually slowed me down. Every day I sat down to write and even if I had a good day … I’d feel terrible because I’d be thinking: ‘My God, I have to finish the book. I’ve only written four pages when I should have written 40.’”

51 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Not taking away from any individual wins but there must have been a lot of crappy TV this year for GoT to win best drama.

It was parting gift, not really a reflection of the last season. That's why they didn't win anything else outside of Dinklage for acting. 

I was very happy to learn Dumb and Dumber didn't win for best writing. :banana:

yeah I think it was a gift to win for that one award. They had a ton of nominations though. Dinklage was great in the show he definitely deserved to win. 

Just now, Krishosein said:

yeah I think it was a gift to win for that one award. They had a ton of nominations though. Dinklage was great in the show he definitely deserved to win. 

I would've given it to Alfie Allen this year, but I'm not mad about Dinklage winning. 

Dinklage could win it every year

The writers in the final season should have won for

"Worst --script writing ever"

Are you not supposed to at least make an attempt to appease your audience.

Having Tyrion arrested for treason and Jon Snow arrested for regicide and having his true identity subdued and his consequence right back to the beggining is below par IMO.

And Tyrion's, the orator of electing a new monarchy was equally strange. Had Dinklage role as position of kings hand not always appeared forced, I could see that scene as very strained and forced

Edited by Hollywood1892

Proof they Emmys are about who you know, who you pay off, and self aggrandizing as opposed to quality.  No way this deserved to award for Best Drama.  Just more proof the critics and Hollywood are becoming completely disconnected from their consumers.   

5 hours ago, drotto said:

Proof they Emmys are about who you know, who you pay off, and self aggrandizing as opposed to quality.  No way this deserved to award for Best Drama.  Just more proof the critics and Hollywood are becoming completely disconnected from their consumers.   

When was it ever different? They're industry awards chosen from inside the industry, same with every other awards show. It's why Jethro Tull won best metal album Grammy over Metallica, or why Forrest Gump won the best picture Oscar over Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction.