• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

Whatever your issue with season 8, it's unfair to hold the actors and actresses accountable for the writers' actions. 

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

They were reporting today the Emmys was down by 7M viewers compared to previous years. Wow!

Its a borderline 19th century tradition trying to stay relevant in the 21st century. Besides, no one really likes the shows that win anyway traditionally. Its just stuff were told is "powerful and brave". I'm shocked it wasn't halved. People are cool (if the market supports it) for these folks making 10x the lifetime earning of the average American for simply playing pretend for 6 months on set. However it seems most people in the world are losing interest in those same people then giving each other awards for said pretend-play. We watch movies for the characters they portray not for the people inhabiting them.

Actually do you know you do if you want to make these award shows more interesting? Have the awards be for things like "favorite character" and have the actors appears in character costume, then give the acceptance speech as them. That show would do 20x the number....omg thats gonna happen some day i bet.

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Its a borderline 19th century tradition trying to stay relevant in the 21st century. Besides, no one really likes the shows that win anyway traditionally. Its just stuff were told is "powerful and brave". I'm shocked it wasn't halved. People are cool (if the market supports it) for these folks making 10x the lifetime earning of the average American for simply playing pretend for 6 months on set. However it seems most people in the world are losing interest in those same people then giving each other awards for said pretend-play. We watch movies for the characters they portray not for the people inhabiting them.

Actually do you know you do if you want to make these award shows more interesting? Have the awards be for things like "favorite character" and have the actors appears in character costume, then give the acceptance speech as them. That show would do 20x the number....omg thats gonna happen some day i bet.

It's a fair point about changing up the format.

I can't even remember the last time I watched the Emmy's, even in short bursts to check in to see who won the bigger categories.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a fair point about changing up the format.

I can't even remember the last time I watched the Emmy's, even in short bursts to check in to see who won the bigger categories.

i only watched a few categories as I was bored and nothing else was on to watch and didn't want to start a new Netflix series as I just finished watching Disenchantment.. so just flipped back and fourth 

On 9/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, newshane said:

Whatever your issue with season 8, it's unfair to hold the actors and actresses accountable for the writers' actions. 

Was anyone actually trying to do this? Criticism I have seen was solely directed at the show-runners.

Actors get held accountable for bad acting.

28 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Was anyone actually trying to do this? Criticism I have seen was solely directed at the show-runners.

Actors get held accountable for bad acting.

The actors were getting booed at nearly every public appearance. 

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Is that actually an accurate statement, though? I didn't hear them being booed at the 2019 SDCC panel. But maybe I am mistaken.

"nearly" is an important qualifier in my statement. 

The actors have taken quite a bit of backlash. They are the face of the show. Reasonable people like us understand that it's the fault of the writers, but reasonable people are in the minority these days. 

Here's one OK thing to come out of this awful, world-wide pandemic: we may finally be getting a new "Game of Thrones" book.

"I have to confess, after half a year of pandemic, I am showing signs of cabin fever. If nothing else, the enforced isolation has helped me write. I am spending long hours every day on THE WINDS OF WINTER, and making steady progress," George R.R. Martin, author of the series, tweeted Wednesday morning.

Although the Game of Thrones series concluded over a year ago, fans are still reeling from a controversial finale. Fans of the show even made a Change.org petition urging HBO to re-make the final season. (HBO is owned by WarnerMedia, CNN's parent company.)
Martin, who prefers to use an obsolete disk operating system (DOS) instead of a modern computer, is currently isolating in "an actual cabin in the mountains" and hopes to finish his long-awaited fantasy novel "The Winds of Winter" by next year.

On his blog, Martin explained that his "enforced isolation" has helped him write, and that he is "making steady progress" with the story.

Publishers have been waiting for "The Winds of Winter", the penultimate book in the series before "A Dream of Spring", since the publication of "A Dance With Dragons" in 2011.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, Key Largo Comics said:

Am I the only person that thought Season 8 was pretty good? And yes I've read the books.

No you aren't the only one.  Plenty of people thought it was OK while others loved it.  Of course there were some that hated it and the somewhat illogical flow.  I personally thought it was still great television and right up there with any other season in terms of production.  Was it the best season and did it the ending really justify the build up throughout all of the seasons?  Not really but I choose to instead focus on the individuality in the quality of the acting and each episode of the last season as opposed to the totality of the story from start to finish.  It is still my all time favorite show.

I'm hoping the prequel will actually release in 2022:

https://www.techradar.com/news/games-of-thrones-prequel-house-of-the-dragon-release-date

Edited by Keys_Collector