• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

Thanks for the update.  I know the finale was sometime ago but it would have been cool for John to have been standing in front of the throne and survived the dragons fire at the end as only a Targaryen could!  Seems like a simple tweek that would have made a much cooler ending.  Martin will change the ending I'm sure, he's no where as pc as the HBO writers apparently were.

Edited by ThothAmon

"As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much.   Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce.   But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for WorldCon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine."

OK, you might have to put your thinking caps on for this one as my memory of these shows is kind of fading fast.

I have a question about a woman I saw in one of the later seasons, but I don't know which. She was talking to Jorah while wearing a mask (you could only see her eyes), but I can't remember what she said. (Was it a warning?) They were at some kind of gathering, I think, but I don't recall what the occasion was.

I really don't feel like rewatching the entire series to find out who she was, or what her story was. Can anyone help? I know I'm being very vague.

13 minutes ago, Gaard said:

OK, you might have to put your thinking caps on for this one as my memory of these shows is kind of fading fast.

I have a question about a woman I saw in one of the later seasons, but I don't know which. She was talking to Jorah while wearing a mask (you could only see her eyes), but I can't remember what she said. (Was it a warning?) They were at some kind of gathering, I think, but I don't recall what the occasion was.

I really don't feel like rewatching the entire series to find out who she was, or what her story was. Can anyone help? I know I'm being very vague.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Quaithe

HBO wants to order more Game of Thrones prequels. Several of them. 

In addition to the upcoming prequel series House of the Dragon, the network is looking to potentially greenlight more shows set in the world of Westeros, sources say.

One of which, just reported by Variety, is a project based on Dunk and Egg in early development. The Dunk and Egg stories by author George R.R. Martin follow the adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall and a young Aegon V Targaryen and are set 90 years before the events in Thrones.

But that's not all. HBO has been meeting with several top writers pitching other ideas based on Martin's works. Among the ideas being contemplated is a prequel series based on Robert's Rebellion, the war for the Iron Throne that upended Westeros a couple of decades before the events in Thrones.

One of the writers is a name familiar to HBO genre fans: Bruno Heller, who created the acclaimed historical drama Rome, a series that was seen as a bit of a short-lived precursor to Thrones. That said, no writer is yet officially attached to any project.

All the ideas are prequels set in Westeros and Essos before the events in GoT; there are no sequels or spin-offs from the original series currently under consideration.

The idea is for HBO to go big on Thrones for HBO and HBO Max, not entirely unlike how Disney has done with Star Wars and Disney+. Disney announced 10 Star Wars shows during its Investor Day conference in December, and the next day the company's stock price shot up 14 percent, to an all-time high. While after Thrones ended in 2019, HBO saw its adult demo viewership drop by about half as it struggled to fill the dragon-size hole in its lineup. HBO's parent WarnerMedia is investing heavily in HBO Max in general, seeing the streaming service as its "you win or you die" effort to future-proof the company's entertainment division. 

The new move is not entirely unlike how HBO had a then-unprecedented "bake off" of five different Thrones prequel projects in development before the series ended — a process that ultimately resulted in one pilot being shot that did not move forward (the Jane Goldman pilot starring Naomi Watts) and another (House of the Dragon, by co-showrunners Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik) being greenlit to series. This new push is even more intensive, however, and not just looking for a single successor but, ideally, more than one title to join House of the Dragon on the air.

That said, this is still early days for the initiative. No projects have been officially put into development as of yet; plans are fluid and could change. HBO had no comment.  

It’s hard to think about any other actress playing Daenerys on HBO’s Game of Thrones other than Emilia Clarke. However, one actress did play the Mother of Dragons in a TV pilot that failed to launch. Tamzin Merchant was twenty-one-years-old when she was cast as the iconic character for a GOT pilot that was filmed back in 2009. The pilot was swiftly scrapped, redone, and most of the cast was replaced – like Merchant.

In a recent interview, Merchant talks about shooting that ill-fated pilot:

“Shooting that pilot was a really great lesson. It was an affirmation about listening to my instincts and following them, because I tried to back out of that situation and, during the contract process, I did back out. I was talked back into it by some persuasive people. Then I found myself naked and afraid in Morocco and riding a horse that was clearly much more excited to be there than I was.”

Merchant continued:

“It was a lesson that if my guts are telling me a story isn’t something I’m excited to tell, then I shouldn’t try to be excited just because other people are telling me that I should be excited. I didn’t have any training as an actor, I only have my instincts. And what excites me and what drives me is a compelling story and a compelling character. So for me, Game of Thrones was never that. I think it’s a testament to Emilia Clarke for making that role iconic — she was obviously excited to tell that story, and she was epic and excellent. But for me, it wasn’t in my heart to tell it.”

HBO executive Michael Lombardo cited Merchant’s scenes with Jason Mamoa not working as part of the reason why they didn’t continue with her:

“There was a piece of casting we had to rethink, [a role] that was compromised. We all knew Daenerys’ journey was critical. Her scenes with Jason just didn’t work.”

Co-executive producer Bryan Cogman added:

“I thought Tamzin did a really good job. It’s hard to say why things didn’t work out. Ultimately, it’s obvious Emilia Clarke was born to play that part.”

HBO is developing three more Game of Thrones prequel projects.

The network has a trio of additional ideas in the works based on author George R.R. Martin's fantasy world, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

One of the projects, working title 9 Voyages, is from Rome creator Bruno Heller and follows Lord Corlys Velaryon, a.k.a. The Sea Snake, the Lord of the Tides and head of House Velaryon.

A second project revolves around the warrior queen Princess Nymeria, a revered ancestor of House Martell who founded of the kingdom of Dorne (she became so legendary in the realm that two characters bore her name in the original series – Sand Snake Nymeria Sand and Arya's direwolf).

The third project is set in the notorious King's Landing slum of Flea Bottom – the maze of tight streets in the capitol city where characters like Davos Seaworth and Gendry Baratheon were born.

:banana:

10 hours ago, bentbryan said:

Peace out Winds of Winter. Peace out. 

He's had another project in production hell as well I would love to see moved forward.

Now more than ever the zany yet fantastic stories would be acceptable. These books are so worth reading.