• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Now I get where you were going.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't think he was a bad actor or anything wrong with the scene.  It was a fine scene and it conveyed the message that not all the enemy soldiers are "bad" perfectly.

I just didn't like all the news outlets making a big deal out of it.  I'm sure he's a GoT fan and he called in a favor (similar to celebrities hidden in Star Wars movies).  Just all the hype leading up to it was annoying.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Because

Over 16M viewers on Sunday night. Even Lady Mormont is shocked!

:whatthe:

Last Night’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Premiere Smashed Viewership Records

game-of-thrones-season-7-image-10-600x39

Game of Thrones returned to series-high ratings for a first-run telecast with an average 10.1 million viewers. And that’s not even the full scope of it. Adding in the DVR viewership from initial streaming reports, the premiere tally grows to 16.1 million viewers.

That is insane. Even by Game of Thrones standards. It’s a 50% increase from last year’s Season 6 premiere, still an impressive 27% boost if you only count the linear viewership, and easily breaks the record to become HBO’s most watched premiere from any series to date. Both Season 5 and Season 6 drew in roughly 8 million viewers, and prior to Sunday’s episode, last year’s finale was the most-watched live-plus-same day telecast with a total 8.9 million viewers.

If you’re wondering how that stacks up to HBO’s other series, Game of Thrones surpassed The Sopranos as the network’s most-watched series in 2014. Last year’s Westworld finale drew in a series-high 3.6 million viewers across viewing platforms.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

What "priceless gift" does Euron have in mind to give Cersei?  Daenerys Targaryen's head on a plate?

Spoiler

In the books Euron is in the process of trying to obtain the "Dragonbinder". A horn that can control dragons.

Euron supposedly made slight mention of in Season 6. I haven't found it yet.

Spoiler

But the gift could also be an actual object. In George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire book series, Euron claims to be in possession of the Dragonbinder — a sorcerous horn that is used to control dragons.

"That horn you heard I found amongst the smoking ruins that were Valyria, where no man has dared to walk but me," Euron says in A Feast for Crows. "You heard its call, and felt its power. It is a dragon horn, bound with bands of red gold and Valyrian steel graven with enchantments. The dragonlords of old sounded such horns, before the Doom devoured them. With this horn, ironmen, I can bind dragons to my will."

1 minute ago, Key Largo Comics said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the books Euron is in the process of trying to obtain the "Dragonbinder". A horn that can control dragons.

:applause:

We were thinking alike.

15 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Don't get me wrong.  I don't think he was a bad actor or anything wrong with the scene.  It was a fine scene and it conveyed the message that not all the enemy soldiers are "bad" perfectly.

I just didn't like all the news outlets making a big deal out of it.  I'm sure he's a GoT fan and he called in a favor (similar to celebrities hidden in Star Wars movies).  Just all the hype leading up to it was annoying.

I had not heard any hype at all leading up to it regarding his appearance, but I still hated it. lol

Stunt castings, celebrity cameos, etc. nothing pulls viewers out of the narrative more instantly.....this isn't Love Boat and I certainly hope we don't see Jamie Farr or Charo showing up in the King's Landing Bazaar.  

This is definitely very book-spoilery, but I'm fine with it myself.  But I'll keep using spoiler quotes for it.

Spoiler

Given that I'm unclear on what binds the dragons to Daenerys to begin with, I certainly have no idea if Dragonbinder trumps whatever her influence is.  Do the books provide details on Dragonbinder vs. Targaryen?

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I had not heard any hype at all leading up to it regarding his appearance, but I still hated it. lol

Stunt castings, celebrity cameos, etc. nothing pulls viewers out of the narrative more instantly.....this isn't Love Boat and I certainly hope we don't see Jamie Farr or Charo showing up in the King's Landing Bazaar.  

1sonq9.jpg

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

This is definitely very book-spoilery, but I'm fine with it myself.  But I'll keep using spoiler quotes for it.

Reveal hidden contents

Given that I'm unclear on what binds the dragons to Daenerys to begin with, I certainly have no idea if Dragonbinder trumps whatever her influence is.  Do the books provide details on Dragonbinder vs. Targaryen?

Spoiler

To my recollection the books did not address which influence is stronger. Martin probably saving that reveal for the final battle.

5 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Hide contents

To my recollection the books did not address which influence is stronger. Martin probably saving that reveal for the final battle.

I'm pretty sure the hell horn would trump Dany.  The red priest says that any dragon who hears the horn will obey the horn's master.  But remember what the horn says "I am Dragonbinder ... No mortal man should sound me and live ... Blood for fire, fire for blood."  As such, anyone who sounds the horn for Euron will die (as happened in the books) and they would not be the master of the horn, thus the Dragons would not obey them.  Dany and Jon can probably use the horn however.  

10 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

So much for hiding those spoilers.  lol

ADWD came out 6 years ago lol Should I put spoiler alerts around the fact that Keyser Söze is really Verbal Kint???

14 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the hell horn would trump Dany.  The red priest says that any dragon who hears the horn will obey the horn's master.  But remember what the horn says "I am Dragonbinder ... No mortal man should sound me and live ... Blood for fire, fire for blood."  As such, anyone who sounds the horn for Euron will die (as happened in the books) and they would not be the master of the horn, thus the Dragons would not obey them.  Dany and Jon can probably use the horn however.  

There is so much backstory from the books I miss out on from not having gotten to these yet. I only heard about this the other day when a Variety article summarized Season 7 Episode 1 details, and made mention this is probably what he is going to use. But the article also noted he mentioned it briefly in Season 6. I can't seem to find that scene. Even during his showing up to be crowned.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

There is so much backstory from the books I miss out on from not having gotten to these yet. I only heard about this the other day when a Variety article summarized Season 7 Episode 1 details, and made mention this is probably what he is going to use. But the article also noted he mentioned it briefly in Season 6. I can't seem to find that scene. Even during his showing up to be crowned.

I don't know of any reference to Dragonbinder in the show at all.  The only horn they have teased was the Horn of Winter.  Are you sure they didn't confuse the fact that the ACTOR who plays Euron mentioned Dragonbinder while filming season 6?

23 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

I don't know of any reference to Dragonbinder in the show at all.  The only horn they have teased was the Horn of Winter.  Are you sure they didn't confuse the fact that the ACTOR who plays Euron mentioned Dragonbinder while filming season 6?

:boo:

I bet you are right. I had gone back to his two main appearances (the murder and then his sea-bound coronation). He never mentions it. Just that if they built him a fleet, he would bring them riches.

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

ADWD came out 6 years ago lol Should I put spoiler alerts around the fact that Keyser Söze is really Verbal Kint???

The majority of GoT fans watch the show but never read the books, so citing info from the books is spoilery in a thread clearly geared towards the show and is an "F you" to the likely two-thirds of fans in that boat.  The same protocol applies to Walking Dead--if you're going to describe something from the comic that relates to story elements that haven't appeared in the show yet, put it in a spoiler tag because there's a decent chance you just spoiled the show for people reading it.

But everyone's got their own standard for what's rude and what isn't.  I'm sure you just ruined The Usual Suspects for someone who's really pissed about it now.  :blush:

26 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The majority of GoT fans watch the show but never read the books, so citing info from the books is spoilery in a thread clearly geared towards the show and is an "F you" to the likely two-thirds of fans in that boat.  The same protocol applies to Walking Dead--if you're going to describe something from the comic that relates to story elements that haven't appeared in the show yet, put it in a spoiler tag because there's a decent chance you just spoiled the show for people reading it.

But everyone's got their own standard for what's rude and what isn't.  I'm sure you just ruined The Usual Suspects for someone who's really pissed about it now.  :blush:

:baiting: they wouldn't have known what movie I was referencing if you hadn't name checked it.

Just now, jaybuck43 said:
27 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

:baiting: they wouldn't have known what movie I was referencing if you hadn't name checked it.

Also, Tom Hanks gets off the island at the end of Castaway.  :gossip:  And Wilson doesn't make it.  :cry: