• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

No one thought, after the Night King threw a spear and missed one dragon, to possibly have the other dragon blast the Night King and his generals standing all alone on the hill? 

We've seen the Night King walk through fire with impunity, so I'm unsure of the effect of fire on him and his generals (of course, a dragon's blast may be a different matter entirely).

I'm wondering if the Night King intentionally waited before acting, actually wanting a dragon to come closer to attack him before throwing a spear (still, he was 1 for 2 at long distance).

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

No one thought, after the Night King threw a spear and missed one dragon, to possibly have the other dragon blast the Night King and his generals standing all alone on the hill? 

Thematically they had to do what they did to up the jeopardy to the heroes for the ultimate final battle. 

Basically, they have dragons to keep the undead soldiers busy, but it will have to be the humans who will have to take on the White Walkers and the Night King in the end. 

Without the jeopardy the final conclusion is a little too predictable and a lot less exciting. So I get why they did it, why they had to do it, but I agree there was probably a better way to get there that doesn't lobotomize the main characters. 

4 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

I hope that one of the Game of Thrones spin-off shows that HBO is working on is a Tormund/Hound buddy comedy. :wishluck:

Wrong brother otherwise it could have been the sequel to Brokeback Mountain. 

Hmm.. dragons had fun with the dead or Wights, they didn't take out ANY of the White Walkers (let's not confuse the two) much less the Night King.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hmm.. dragons had fun with the dead or Wights, they didn't take out ANY of the White Walkers (let's not confuse the two) much less the Night King.

Right. I think, thematically, that was intentional. The final battle, and the heroes of it, will not be CGI. 

Regarding Gendry's Fitness Level and the distance traveled.

Distance Traveled:  I would guess somewhere between 5-10 miles from the battle site to the Eastwatch castle.  It doesn't seem like they were traveling that long, like a day maybe to get there on the way out.  And they had more people, had supplies to carry, etc, and were moving in a way where they were generally trying not be detected, and the weather was worse than when Gendry was running.

Gendry's Fitness:  We remember Robert Baratheon as being fat and drunk, but he was allegedly a great and powerful warrior in his youth, and Gendry appears to be at apex age for men's fitness generally (mid twenties?).  Add that to the fact that he has a very physically intensive job, he normally carries a 30 pound hammer, and doesn't seem to do anything in his free time but medieval crossfit and hammer fight club, to prepare for the future, and you've got a dude with some pretty heavy stamina and endurance.  Add that to a super adrenaline rush + fear of zombies + fate of the world depending on you, and I think he could cover it in 4-5 hours.  And water is generally accessible, so that's nice.

I have more questions about how fast ravens and dragons can fly.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I'm wondering if the Night King intentionally waited before acting, actually wanting a dragon to come closer to attack him before throwing a spear (still, he was 1 for 2 at long distance).

My question is why did the Night King throw the spear at the dragon flying wildly in the sky instead of the largest dragon that was on the ground and carrying his enemies?

Also, if he can throw a spear that far, why didn't he just chuck one at Jon in his boat last season? hm

Time and distance don't seem to matter any more. It took the Hound several episodes to get from The Red Wedding to the Arie, yet now people travel to and from Kings Landing, and then to the Wall in a single episode. Yet the Dead are still marching on the wall for what has to be months now.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Time and distance don't seem to matter any more. It took the Hound several episodes to get from The Red Wedding to the Arie, yet now people travel to and from Kings Landing, and then to the Wall in a single episode. Yet the Dead are still marching on the wall for what has to be months now.

Good point.

3 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:
6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Good point.

Could it be the White Walkers are scouring the lands building their army to greater number ?

Speaking of time. 

Jon and his posse are ambushed, and send to the Wall for help.  He makes it there, Ravens are sent to Dragonstone, Dany pauses to have a fur coat made and flies north to rescue them.

As she had no idea the Night King was capable of killing a dragon, why didn't she simply send the three dragons north to destroy the army  of the dead as soon as it became a distraction  while she continued her war with Blondie?

16 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

Good episode.

Hopefully the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that watch in advance illegally will keep their mouths shut in this thread going forward.

Those no-goods! Send them North!

298AB5F900000578-0-image-a-12_1434037268

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

As she had no idea the Night King was capable of killing a dragon, why didn't she simply send the three dragons north to destroy the army  of the dead as soon as it became a distraction  while she continued her war with Blondie?

She had to go. The Dragons wouldn't know who to toast. Plus Danny wanted to see for herself. And she maybe wanted to keep up her little game with Jonny Boy some more.

Edited by Gotham Kid

23 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

My question is why did the Night King throw the spear at the dragon flying wildly in the sky instead of the largest dragon that was on the ground and carrying his enemies?

Also, if he can throw a spear that far, why didn't he just chuck one at Jon in his boat last season? hm

I was wondering that myself. But then figured he was seeing the flying dragon doing the most aerial damage compared to Drogon being grounded.

32 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

And this was the other thought that hit me.

If the White Walkers have this arsenal of ice spears that can kill from a distance, I am surprised they didn't use this on Wun Wun while he was running away with his back to them in the water. He had to be moving extremely slow. Hardhome would have been an even larger massacre.

Edited by Bosco685