• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

I binge watched the entire 8 seasons for the first (and last time) to catch up to the finale- so having seen so many back to back on HBO GO, I have this observation. How "good" an episode was depended on the content warnings.  Most had 3: Content, Language, Violence.  Others had up to 5, the aforementioned 3, and Nudity and Adult Situations.  I noticed the last 2 season, and 8 in particular began winding down the adult content,and even the language in the later few episodes.  Almost as if we saw the edited version that they were showing in China, and not the "real" episodes they would have filmed and aired 5-6 years ago.  I wonder if there was a deliberate attempt to make it PG-13 for international viewing and larger audiences in general. Violence? That's perfectly ok and American, but god forbid there's any boobs. Shame Shame. Anyway, there seemed to be a steady dumbing down of the story, dialogue, and content in the last 10 episodes and it only got steeper over time.

10 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I think the symbolism of the white horse (goodness) ties in with Arya’s shift away from being a cold-blooded assassin and back to being a noble Stark. She is horrified by the devastation of Drogon’s attack, she frantically tries to help people, and when she mounts the white horse her life’s path has now been changed (becoming an explorer/adventure and sailing to parts unknown in the finale).

Whether she stays that way or not, I guess we have to wait for the spin-off/books to find out...

Wasn't that before she threatened the slit Yara's throat for talking stuff about Jon Snow? 

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, terrible decision.  They are going to destroy an already failing Star wars franchise. 

I watched the final episode again with the wife last night, and we both reached the same conclusion.  If D&D had not shortened seasons 7 and 8, about 80% of the issues and anger could have been avoided.  It may have involved changing some of the structure and progression of season 7, but it would have made clear the 180's in season 8.  Those 7 "lost" episodes would have made a massive difference. 

So instead of the Night King being defeated in S8 E03, he would have been defeated in s7 e09 or maybe even episode 10.  You push the breaking of the wall back from s7 e07 by one or two episodes to episode 6 or even 5.  Then you give the Night King 4 or 5 episodes of running around Westeros to establish him as a threat south of the wall. Eliminate, the Cersei meets zombie episode for some of her armies getting devastated by the Night King, really show winter has come. 

Then leave a full 10 episode season 8 to be the defeat of Cersei and the descent of Dany into madness.  I would argue more clearly plant the seeds of madness even a little further back to the beginning of season 7 or better yet season 6, but start to have characters expressing concerns before Sansa does in s8 e02. I still argue that Tyrion and Varys are way to smart to have not seen some hint earlier.

Again it is not really what happened that is my main issue with season 8, it was the execution and the very rushed felling of the season.

12 hours ago, kimik said:

One loose end - Bran said maybe he can find Drogon? Does that mean with ravens or he can warg the dragon now as well?

I don't believe he can warg into Drogon, but will instead warg into a bird or wolf looking for him. There may be more to his interest in finding Dorgon, but I think it's as simple as, "Let's not have that dragon come back and kill us all...again."

George R.R. Martin is sharing his thoughts on the ending of Game of Thrones on his Not a Blog. After eight seasons, Martin says “it is hard to believe it is over,” thanking the cast, crew, show-runners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, co-executive producer Bryan Cogman, and the team at HBO. The author of A Song of Ice and Fire book series on which the series is based, also addressed question of whether the book ending would be different than that of the show.

"Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes."

"I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…"

"Book or show, which will be the “real” ending? It’s a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?"

He also promised he would eventually finish the long-delayed The Winds of Winter but would not reveal a timeline.

THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

What does he know? Folks have read the books!

:sumo::insane:

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What does he know? Folks have read the books!

:sumo::insane:

So we end up getting Winds of Winter, I still doubt we will ever see a Song of Spring. Also makes me feel that GRRM's ending will be relatively different. 

36 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I'm not really sure how that qualifies as a defense. It's more like an excuse for why the show turned out the way it did. 

I think it is just more evidence that GRRM gave D&D a very thin outline about books 6 and 7, and yes the endpoint may not be that different, but the books are going to get there a very different way. There are dozens of plot points that are very different between the show and book, as well as many characters, plots, and layers of complexity that exist in the books that never made it (and may have been impossible to include) into the show. What D&D got was basically a short list of highlights and then basically set free on their own.

If you listen to how GRRM writes, it is very likely he does not know exactly where the book is going yet, and it may change as he goes. This article may not be exactly my viewpoint, but I think it illustrates what happened with the writing in the show verses the books, and why the books may end up in a very different place.

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thrones-plotters-vs-pantsers/?fbclid=IwAR3xbLEU4R1yP1-x-GEpg0JiHnlAHb9_v41d2nyI1cxyzdAV6p2vZrhe3AI

Edited by drotto

2 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:
4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Those crazy Stark kids.

GoT_kids01.thumb.PNG.28a8909d6047eea0754888d1820bff95.PNG

Someone told Bran 'Make yourself at home!'

Sophie is always vaping. Check any picture of her and she's got that Juul close by.

Every pre-Millennial vapes like crazy.

13377848-0-image-a-255_1557588976100.jpg