2,269 posts in this topic

243 posts
11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

There's a new trend of popular films or shows being lavished with critical acclaim that fans complain about vociferously.  First it was Last Jedi, now Game of Thrones season 8.  I don't remember ever seeing this before those two examples, but I'm sure I'm unaware of or forgetting something.  hm

Every season of GoT is rated above 90% on Rotten Tomatoes except for season 8, which is at 58%. I wouldn't call that critical acclaim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,950 posts

I never look at Rotten Tomatoes television ratings, but that's interesting.  Why would critics bash it in reviews but Emmy voters lavish it with more award nominations than any show in television history?  ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243 posts
1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I never look at Rotten Tomatoes television ratings, but that's interesting.  Why would critics bash it in reviews but Emmy voters lavish it with more award nominations than any show in television history?  ???

They're just nominations, not wins. There could be a lot of reasons why, but the biggest probably is that the only real complaint about the season was the writing. Everything else was top notch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
954 posts
2 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

They're just nominations, not wins. There could be a lot of reasons why, but the biggest probably is that the only real complaint about the season was the writing. Everything else was top notch.

I agree with this the cast and crew did an amazing job and they deserve the recognition for their hard work. Sets were awesome costumes cool scenes epic etc.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913 posts
18 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I never look at Rotten Tomatoes television ratings, but that's interesting.  Why would critics bash it in reviews but Emmy voters lavish it with more award nominations than any show in television history?  ???

It is a combination of a few things.

 

1. GOT has always been an Emmy's darling

2. Being the final season, most of these nominations are more like lifetime achievement awards for a well respected and until recently loved show. It is being reworded for the entire body of work, not season 8.

3. Heavy lobbying occurs behind the scenes for these shows. HBO has essentially bought these nominations. The fans have little to no power in comparison. So Emmy does not care what fans think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,950 posts
1 minute ago, drotto said:

3. Heavy lobbying occurs behind the scenes for these shows. HBO has essentially bought these nominations. The fans have little to no power in comparison. So Emmy does not care what fans think.

Yea, but critics have been expressing discontent as well, not just fans.  I don't EVER remember something getting such mixed reviews critically that also got such overwhelming love at either the Oscars or Emmys.  Fans regularly hate award nominees or winners, but critics also disliking something yet it getting so many nominations is new.  And possibly even unique in the history of both sets of awards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913 posts
5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, but critics have been expressing discontent as well, not just fans.  I don't EVER remember something getting such mixed reviews critically that also got such overwhelming love at either the Oscars or Emmys.  Fans regularly hate award nominees or winners, but critics also disliking something yet it getting so many nominations is new.  And possibly even unique in the history of both sets of awards.

Then my best guess is it the "lifetime" achievement award for a once great show that will never be nominated again because it is over.  My bet is it will win many of these categories despite the poor final season, because of what it was before, not presently.

 

You also get the problem that many voters will vote on reputation (which is still perceived as good), and may have limited knowledge and may not have even watched the show.  They will view selected scenes and bits and pieces, that like a trailer for a movie, can make a turd look like a diamond. In that way they will totally miss the problems or they will choose to ignore them.

 

All this is ashamed because HBO and the showrunners will point to this as vindication and proof the fans (as well as some critics) got it wrong,  and they will learn nothing for future shows. It also means much more deserving shows and performances will get essentially cheated out of wins.  

 

I am looking at you Jethro Tull (I know not the Emmy's).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913 posts
1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Surprise!

 

Great to see they stand behind their work.  :eyeroll: That panel would have been entertaining to put it nicely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,950 posts
1 hour ago, drotto said:

Great to see they stand behind their work.  :eyeroll: That panel would have been entertaining to put it nicely

I would've skipped it too.  What's more to say?  They spent a decade of their lives on the show, wanted to move on, and all anyone was going to essentially ask them was why didn't they work on it longer.

I'd assign half the blame to HBO for not transitioning the show to new writers/producers and half to Benioff and Weiss for either suggesting or just going along with wrapping it up too quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
954 posts
2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Surprise!

 

no surprise there. they are definitely trying to avoid the backlash and hard criticism they would of received from the fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
954 posts
3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I would've skipped it too.  What's more to say?  They spent a decade of their lives on the show, wanted to move on, and all anyone was going to essentially ask them was why didn't they work on it longer.

I'd assign half the blame to HBO for not transitioning the show to new writers/producers and half to Benioff and Weiss for either suggesting or just going along with wrapping it up too quickly.

interesting.. haven't really heard many fans putting a little blame on HBO but I tend to agree a bit, if they knew Benioff and Weiss wanted off to do other things and they wanted a few more seasons they probably should of transitioned new writers over to replace them and maybe have them consult if needed part time etc.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,975 posts
18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'd assign half the blame to HBO for not transitioning the show to new writers/producers and half to Benioff and Weiss for either suggesting or just going along with wrapping it up too quickly.

This. I don't understand why this didn't happen. 

Ok D&D spent years on this and rightfully want to do other things, getting that Star Wars money for instance but doesn't mean they couldn't have handed it off to different show runners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,364 posts

Ugh - this discussion is just bringing back so many bad memories about the end of the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913 posts
8 hours ago, bane said:

This. I don't understand why this didn't happen. 

Ok D&D spent years on this and rightfully want to do other things, getting that Star Wars money for instance but doesn't mean they couldn't have handed it off to different show runners.

Or they could have done the step back approach, and have them moved to an executive producer position.  Would have left them somewhat in control, as well as given the show an injection of new blood, and enough time to finish the show properly.  Often changing show runners ends up helping franchises, and improving quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
80,936 posts

I own GoT Season 1-7 on VUDU. It will take one heck of a special sale for me to make the jump for Season 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
80,936 posts

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
80,936 posts
Quote

In the series finale of Game of Thrones, Varys (Conleth Hill) kept up with his mysterious, shady ways right until his death. Though it was never expressly stated that he was actively trying to kill Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke), it was heavily implied. Now, Hill himself has confirmed that yes, Varys was working on killing the Breaker of Chains, because he foresaw her villainous turning coming.

 

Hill was on-hand at San Diego Comic-Con earlier tonight to make the revelation during a send-off Hall H panel for those involved with the show.

 

"Yeah...The coin, when a Targaryen is born, is going to be one side or the other," Hill explained. "And [Dany's] has come down a bit cray cray towards the end. I think Varys knew long ago he was going to die, and what the sorcerer might've said to him, might've been what [Dany] says when he's burnt to death."

 

"So I think all this has an inevitability; he knew he couldn't get through to Jon Snow, or Tyrion because they were both in love with Daenerys," the actor continued. "That blinds people's judgements. So he knew he had to try anyway to stop her, and that it was very possible he'd be killed. I thought it was a cool death, very dignified... there are ways to get fired and that was one of the best."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
80,936 posts

Man, the announcer had to warm up the audience by asking them to please be positive before bringing out the cast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
8 8