• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

DirectTV released Season 8 Episode 1 four hours early.

'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Premiere Reportedly Leaked by DirectTV

Winter came early when DirecTV Now apparently "leaked" the Game of Thrones season premiere hours before it aired on Sunday night.

Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 1 became available about four hours early on DirecTV Now, the cable provider's streaming app. It was unclear whether this was a mistake or a surprise treat, but fans flooded social media with their excitement about the so-called "leak."

"Four hours early? I'll take it," one fan tweeted, showing a screenshot of their push notification from DirecTV.

they had lots of exposition to take care of in this episode and it showed. The dragon scene was a bit too derivative of Avatar for my taste but like the rest of the episode I understood why it had to be done, good foreshadowing going on throughout the whole episode. Arya's secret weapon anyone?

With all the wonderful intent on the part of Daenerys Targaryen, driving home the conflict of actions last night seemed fitting. To be a good ruler, her destruction and death sentences are going to be the wedge between her and the Westeros people.

I liked it. With so few episodes, they had to dive right in.

7 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Great start. And as usual the Guardian has their excellent recap already up and online:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/15/game-of-thrones-recap-season-eight-episode-one-the-end-is-now

Wow! One of the comments to the article drove home a grizzly book point about Euron's statement about mutes on a ship.

"The lore (from the book, although it's been a while since I read it) is that he went mad in a storm once and they tied him to a mast to stop him from jumping overboard. This made him completely paranoid they might mutiny, so had all of their tongues ripped out to stop them plotting."

Game of Thrones’ new opening credits sequence holds a lot of clues for this season

The title segment, which flies a point-of-view camera around a map of the fictional country of Westeros, used to regularly change to reflect locations that might be significant that episode or season. But in the season 8 intro, the action starts outside Westeros, in the furthest north, clueing the audience into the path taken by the undead army of White Walkers that threatens Westeros.

First, the camera pans over the broken Wall, which was partially destroyed by the Night King and the zombiefied dragon Viserion last season. From there, the intro circles the Last Hearth, Westeros’ furthest Northern settlement, and the last outpost before the Wall. The Last Hearth was home to House Umber before the army of the dead reached it. Off-camera, sometime during the episode, it appears that the army sacked the castle just as its young lord, Ned Umber, was returning to gather his banners.

GoT01.PNG.801ad67254a194a2db5891aa74555f75.PNG

I know I'm probably the only one, but I just realized that zombie kid on the wall was the one earlier in the show Sansa told to hurry back with his people. :whatthe: :eek:

Then we enter the Great Hall, where the Iron Throne stands. It’s the first time the Iron Throne has been shown during the opening-credits sequence, which feels particularly significant, as presumably Westeros’ ultimate ruler will be determined in this final season. Although a Lannister sigil remains atop the Iron Throne, that could change, with two Targaryens vying for rulership.

GoT02.PNG.bdd422578ae9442551c5ae119e58d285.PNG

Spoiler

And the final image shows a larger dragon flying alongside three smaller ones, while a comet falls from the sky. The camera lingers on this image as the Game of Thrones title card appears.

That picture is a nod to the Red Comet, which predicts when dragons would return to the world, as prophesied by many soothsayers. (Maybe that fan theory about dragon eggs hidden under Winterfell isn’t as wild as it seemed after all).

That last comment I had forgotten about. More of them??!!

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

With all the wonderful intent on the part of Daenerys Targaryen, driving home the conflict of actions last night seemed fitting. To be a good ruler, her destruction and death sentences are going to be the wedge between her and the Westeros people.

I liked it. With so few episodes, they had to dive right in.

That scene with Samwell Tarly was sad.  I think he could've handled his fathers death.  Then to find out his brother was by his fathers side was too much for him. Very sad :sorry:

Really enjoyed the episode. Did anyone else laugh at the moments we’d see Bran watching someone? lol

Loved how it ended. A smart homage to end of season 1 episode 1. 

There’s a few things that could happen by the end of the show that would really disappoint me...but after seeing this I feel more trust in D&D that whatever happens will be the best way...:wishluck:

4 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Really enjoyed the episode. Did anyone else laugh at the moments we’d see Bran watching someone? lol

And the preview of next weeks episode puts him in a dangerous situation as they all discuss his past actions.  He will probably find his way out of trouble via Tyrion