• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

I think Bran has seen and knows more than we think. He gave Arya that Valyrian steel dagger last season knowing what Arya was going to do with it.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That is such a nice touch, and Arya has done so much with that gift.

Following the path of the dagger is interesting, as well.
It was the same dagger that was used during the assassination attempt of Bran in Season One, right?
Originally thought to be given to the assassin by Tyrion, when in reality it was given by Little Finger, who was machinating the conflict between the Starks and the Lannisters in order to spark the war between them.
Catelyn Stark had the dagger after the assassination attempt and eventually it found its way back to Bran, who then gave it to Arya.  The reason it was given to Bran was because it was used to try and kill him.

It's all due to Little Finger, (who set off the whole Game of Thrones to begin with, and who used that particular dagger in order to frame Tyrion), that the dagger ended up in Arya's possession.   The right weapon needed by the right person to kill the Night King.  I'd say the last half of the episode was orchestrated by Bran.  That's why he wargged into all those Ravens during the battle; to keep track of the moving pieces.

8 hours ago, ChasingKingKirby said:

Cool.  That's big for the good guys.  

Who exactly are the good guys?  Daenerys looked in episode two like she wanted to whack both Sansa and Jon Snow.  I'm now thinking that "I'm here to free all the slaves of Westeros" pitch was pure politics and that she just wants power and will do anything to get it.  hm

8 hours ago, Beige said:

Tormund (Thanks!)  disappeared under a mass of walkers.I didn't see him after.

I thought that not only was he dead but they showed him reanimating when the Night King stopped to raise more dead.  But I wasn't at all sure of it, they just lingered for a few seconds on a body that looked a lot like Tormund that then opened his eyes.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Who exactly are the good guys?  Daenerys looked in episode two like she wanted to whack both Sansa and Jon Snow.  I'm now thinking that "I'm here to free all the slaves of Westeros" pitch was pure politics and that she just wants power and will do anything to get it.  hm

Yep, I've never liked Daenerys.  I'm wagering she doesn't get the throne.

7 hours ago, jcjames said:

WTH were you and Drogo doing just sitting there on the ground!!??

While it didn't make sense I'm very glad they did it.  The sight of Drogon floundering around with dozens of wights all over him was spectacular to watch.  (worship)

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I thought that not only was he dead but they showed him reanimating when the Night King stopped to raise more dead.  But I wasn't at all sure of it, they just lingered for a few seconds on a body that looked a lot like Tormund that then opened his eyes.

I don't think so - when Jon was running thru the castle before his encounter with the undead dragon, I thought he ran past Tormund and one other person standing on a table fending off the wrights.  This was after the Night King raised the dead at Winterfell.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, sacentaur said:

They made a point to showcase Arya’s accuracy with weapons last night, once with the dragon-glass daggers and once with a bow-and-arrows. Then with the special emphasis on the customized weapon Gentry made for her, I think we’re due for her to take out a major baddie next episode!

Very prescient post in hindsight. Nice work out of you.

Why did Melisandre die at the end?  And what exactly was Bran worging for while all the guys guarding him died?  I kept hoping he'd actually contribute to the battle by worging Viserion or Ghost or something, but nope, just out to lunch throughout the battle for some reason I couldn't figure out.

Last night’s episode was like eating a bag of candy for dinner. It’s fun and really fulfills one specific want VERY well. But when you are done you find not only was it not truly satisfying, you sorta feel a little regretful of it the next day. 

The Night King went out like that?! That’s all it took was for everyone in his undead magical army to forget to pay attention? He was so easily tricked after all those years of planning and self preservation safe guarding? He was the main enemy lurking for years, now he goes out sorta silly style and we still know nothing truly about him. Well other then he and his 1000+ body guards become magically stupid at just the right time for total victory to be lost. Why not have Bran brought to you in a defensible position? He has always understood the rest are expendable (like the fire bridge fighters). Why go through all that to just at the last moment go into an unsecured battlefield without anyone watching your back? How is that consistent with someone laying centuries of plans and safeguards to ensure that success? And heck even if he gets magically that stupid at the worst possible time...how can a creature with 1000s of years of hand to hand combat knowledge, who single handedly brought down a DRAGON,  be undone by such a simple easy to spot trick? When something like it has just happened like 30 minutes earlier to his main fighter?

Also who set up those defenses!? Talk about having no idea. And why was there no siege defense? What castle and army doesn’t know how to defend a castle by preparing defenses? 

I wasn't expecting it to be both so grand in filming, but yet so poorly written and down right stupid in terms of an actual story.  Little girl tricks vastly superior enemy because they don’t pay attention to her hands...twice...that’s what saved the army and than the war...the same trick....twice....

I just didn’t think the army of the night was made up of Scooby-Doo villains...guess I learned lol.

Edited by zhamlau

While I wasn't a fan of the dark scenes either, I knew they'd do it that way last season or the one before.  I mean he's the Night King, and they're undead.  Of course they're going to attack at night when the humans are most disadvantaged.

I didn't foresee the snowstorm though.  Did they show that in previous seasons?  Are we to assume that's some kind of spell that either the White Walkers or Night King cast to make happen?

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Well, it's a sliding scale for sure.  Dany is a "good guy" compared to Cersei.   But not so much when compared to Jon.  Jon is a "Good" guy full of honor and nobility.  But remember what that got his father, and his uncle Ned.   

At the end I thought Viserion was going to light up Jon Snow, he'd end up nude but unharmed like Dany when she burned down that hut full of Dothrakis, and that Dany watched the whole thing and realized that yep, he's the true heir to the throne.  Still wish they had done that and had Viserion flop over dead after we saw the proof that Jon is both a Targaryen and that he inherited the dragon gene.

I feel a little let down by the ending, and it's obvious the show is pushing Arya at us hard.   Not surprising as she's a favorite of Martins...  I wouldn't at all be surprised if Gendry and Arya sit the throne.  Robert and Neds children .   Sansa and Tyrion sure look like they might be inheriting Winterfell.   Not sure where that leaves Jon and Dany.  Dead, most likely.   Also think Jaimie and Brienne are toast.   Theon had quite possibly the best redemption arc of the entire series.   Ended his life with complete atonement and forgiveness.   Iron Born we're bad to the bone!

20 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I saw that part, and thought it was Tormund.

16 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

I don't think so - when Jon was running thru the castle before his encounter with the undead dragon, I thought he ran past Tormund and one other person standing on a table fending off the wrights.  This was after the Night King raised the dead at Winterfell.

But I think I saw this too as I was trying to brighten my TV screen to actually WATCH the show.

:boo:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:
23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I saw that part, and thought it was Tormund.

They lingered longer on the known characters as the Night King was animating wights.  They lingered on the pre-teen girl queen as she reanimated, and they lingered on whoever that was that looked like Tormund.  So I still assume it was Tormund, but I didn't notice him standing near people at the end as was pointed out so I could easily be wrong.  I'm sure there were dozens of dudes with full beards like Tormund on that battlefield who could be mistaken for him in that bad lighting.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

They lingered longer on the known characters as the Night King was animating wights.  They lingered on the pre-teen girl queen as she reanimated, and they lingered on whoever that was that looked like Tormund.  So I still assume it was Tormund, but I didn't notice him standing near people at the end as was pointed out so I could easily be wrong.  I'm sure there were dozens of dudes with full beards like Tormund on that battlefield who could be mistaken for him in that bad lighting.

Tormund is alive.   And apparently, so are both dragons...

http://time.com/5578054/game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell-deaths/

NPR did a detailed summary of Episode 3. And with the revealed episode name.

'Game Of Thrones' Season 8, Episode 3: 'At Least We're Already In A Crypt'

Let's get this out of the way at the top: We learned last week that Bran Stark, the Three-Eyed Raven, is more than just a living, 26-volume set of the Encyclopedia Westerosi like we thought he was, doling out precious nuggets of exposition to the characters around him. No, it turns out he's Hugely Important To The Story (Um ... Until Last Night, Anyway). He was this season's central, driving plot device – the thing our villain the Night King wanted to destroy, and the thing our heroes must protect, or die trying.

Alfred Hitchcock famously coined the term of art that applies to something that characters care hugely about and that audiences, by extension, must be made to understand is Very Important: The Maltese Falcon, the Ark of the Covenant, The One Ring – they are all, in film studies parlance, "The MacGuffin."

This is all by way of saying: If you think, given these new facts on the ground, that I would be even remotely capable of referring to the Game of Thrones character played by Isaac Hempstead Wright as anything other than "Bran MacGuffin," we would do well to part ways here, you and I. I have it on good authority that there are one or two other sites recapping this scrappy little basic-cable show. Seek them out and keep their custom, because here at NPR we're gonna be riding the "Bran MacGuffin" train all the way into the station, so just ... know that.

Spoiler

Just like that. After eight seasons of buildup: Poof. One knife in the gut from Arya and the guy shatters into a million icy pieces, taking his entire organizational infrastructure with him. (Have some fun, and rewatch that climactic sequence with the sound off, while blasting Nick Lowe's "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass." It is, I assure you, immensely satisfying.)

It was never an easy fit, and the show knew it. There was always a disconnect between the series' love of palace intrigue (think The Sopranos, but with more draped damsel sleeves) and its evil-ice-zombies-are-evil! bits (think The Walking Dead, but Canada). And now that the Night King has been revealed to possess an Achilles' Abdomen, the show can get back to the business of Great Houses going after each other, of feudal infighting, and then maybe — maybe — after an appropriate amount of time has passed, we can quietly admit to one another that the Night King always looked a little goofy. I mean, those little ice-tuffets atop his head, come on.

The deaths roster:

Spoiler
  • The Dothraki Army
  • A large portion of The Unsullied
  • Eddison 'Dolorous Edd' Tollett
  • Lady Lyanna Mormont
  • Beric Dondarrion
  • Theon Greyjoy
  • Jorah Mormont
  • Night King
  • The Wight Generals and their Army
  • Viserion
  • Melisandre

The Night King’s dragon force Jon’s to the ground, and the beast crashes into the snowy landscape and flung Jon away. That was the last time that Rhaegal appeared in the episode, then becoming lost in the winter storm the Night King summoned. For fans, it was unclear if Rhaegal survived, but the trailer for next week’s episode confirms that both Rhaegal and Drogon survived the battle of Winterfell.