• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

I'm almost certain it's someone from the same house. I mean, who else is immune to dragon fire besides Targaryens?

I don't think it even has to be that elaborate.

The NK seems to also be the personification of cold/frost. I equate it to taking a flame thrower to an iceberg - some damage surface damage may occur, but it still remains, on the whole, unharmed.

Add "magic" via Children of the Forrest and . . . . voilà'.

Or maybe it's just the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect (shrug)

Edited by Antpark

31 minutes ago, jcjames said:

What scene are you referring to here? 

BTW, the NK is 1-for-3 in javelin throws at dragons.

Not the prime example of fighting experience there. (Even Bronn got one on his first shot too). 

When the other little girl with a knife single handedly killed the giant. Basically they just hold them close, but don’t kill them and allow their free hands to murder them. It’s just...lazy writing and really calls into question how inept the night king and his champions (toughest fighters) really are. This was just one of many issues I had with the basic reasoning and decision making of both sides in this battle.

35 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I realize that is the real answer. Especially after we saw that vision.

But if there was some handoff for a given reason (i.e. with each major attack on mankind, there must be a handoff to a new Nightking) I was giving it a go. :nyah:

That's not the Night King, that guy is being turned into a White Walker.  They never showed when or how the Night King came about, did they?

Him being created more recently would explain why it took so long for the undead army to march south.  If the Night King had been around for centuries why'd he wait until now to assault Westeros?

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

When the other little girl with a knife single handedly killed the giant. Basically they just hold them close, but don’t kill them and allow their free hands to murder them. It’s just...lazy writing and really calls into question how inept the night king and his champions (toughest fighters) really are. This was just one of many issues I had with the basic reasoning and decision making of both sides in this battle.

I thought zombie giant was going in to bite the girl.

I would say this show is a very difficult one to wrap up and have a satisfying ending for everyone due to something I haven’t seen brought up in this thread before. 

When the Double D’s (the two guys producing this show) signed on for this project about a decade ago, they were under the assumption that GRRM would have finished his books and that they wouldn’t have to find their own way to the end. Yes, GRRM has worked with them and I’m sure communicated his end vision for this but I would wager a guess that help only goes so far. These guys don’t have 5 or 6 years to develop each leg of this story and the rumor is that is has taken its toll on the producers. Basically they are (or more accurately, have been) ready to wrap this up and move on with their lives to work on other projects.  Hence why they have left out a bunch of great material and have moved the narrative along at a pace that has affected the story. :whatev:

1 minute ago, topofthetotem said:

The problem with the Targaryen hypothesis is the Targaryens are relatively new comers to Westeros only 400 or so years ago while the wall has been in existence for at least a few thousand years.  

Yea, but there have been multiple waves of undead marches to the south which implies there have been multiple Night Kings.  That doesn't mean this latest one isn't Rhaegar.

1 minute ago, bentbryan said:

GRRM has worked with them and I’m sure communicated his end vision for this but I would wager a guess that help only goes so far.

And even if Martin told them his ending story points I'd bet that Martin's are not the ones we're seeing this season.  Otherwise the show is a huge spoiler for his unreleased book, eh?

4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I don't see any sort of intelligence built into the Night King's army (other than, maybe the Generals). The rest is just your typical undead horde. Stop. Go. Kill.

Looks like EW already had interviews with the actors before Episode 3 it was sitting on.

Game of Thrones: Maisie Williams on that Winterfell battle’s surprise ending

Spoiler

Maisie Williams arrived at the table read for the final season of Game of Thrones not yet realizing that Arya Stark kills the Night King.

Like her co-star Kit Harington (Jon Snow), she hadn’t read the season 8 scripts (well she had read some parts) and instead wanted to largely experience the final season performed live by her castmates around a conference room table in Belfast.

“I was coming into work and everybody was talking about episode 3 and [director Miguel Sapochnik] was like, ‘Have you read the [season 3 -script] yet?’” she recalls.

When GoT star said she had not yet read the episode, Sapochnik replied, “Oh, I can’t tell you then.”

Williams couldn’t understand his reluctance. “I was like, ‘Are we fighting the wights? Does The Night King die? So who kills him? What happens?’ And no one would say anything. Why is no one saying it? This is crazy.”

Spoiler

When the cast reached the end of episode 3 where Arya saves the Seven Kingdoms by sprinting into the action and stabbing the Night King with her Valyrian steel dagger, “it got a huge f—king cheer,” Harington recalls.

The twist is a monumental success for her character, and entirely unexpected. It was so unexpected, however, Williams initially worried fans wouldn’t like it.

“It was so unbelievably exciting,” she says. “But I immediately thought that everybody would hate it; that Arya doesn’t deserve it. The hardest thing is in any series is when you build up a villain that’s so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. It has to be intelligently done because otherwise people are like, ‘Well, [the villain] couldn’t have been that bad when some 100-pound girl comes in and stabs him.’ You gotta make it cool. And then I told my boyfriend and he was like, ‘Mmm, should be Jon though really, shouldn’t it?’”

Surprise, Arya! :whatthe:

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That's not the Night King, that guy is being turned into a White Walker.  They never showed when or how the Night King came about, did they?

Him being created more recently would explain why it took so long for the undead army to march south.  If the Night King had been around for centuries why'd he wait until now to assault Westeros?

I always assumed it was him, being the White Walker that then created his army. Harper's Bazaar Magazine published a very interesting article on the Night King I am still going through.

What You Need to Know About the Night King on Game of Thrones

hbz-got-night-king-1553209304.jpg?crop=0

He was created by the Children of the Forest.

The Children of the Forest, a race of mythical creatures who were the first inhabitants of Westeros, originally created the White Walkers to defend themselves against the First Men. In one of Bran’s visions, we see a group of the Children creating a White Walker (presumably the Night King) by tying a man to a tree and plunging dragonglass into his chest until he began to transform.

No one knows who he was before becoming the Night King.

"Somebody made him the Night King," Furdik told Entertainment Weekly. "Nobody knows who he was before—a soldier or part of [nobility]. He never wanted to be the Night King." t

That probably explains why the Children tied him to a tree when they first created him; it’s not like he volunteered to become a White Walker.

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

And even if Martin told them his ending story points I'd bet that Martin's are not the ones we're seeing this season.  Otherwise the show is a huge spoiler for his unreleased book, eh?

Alternate ending at a book store near you in 20 years? :devil:

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I always assumed it was him, being the White Walker that then created his army. Harper's Bazaar Magazine published a very interesting article on the Night King I am still going through.

What You Need to Know About the Night King on Game of Thrones

hbz-got-night-king-1553209304.jpg?crop=0

+1

Children of the Forest created the White Walkers.  That's the first White Walker being created IMHO. So if he is the first, he's the king.  All the men he has killed in the past, he raised to be in his army.  It took time for him to get a large enough army to attack the South. All babies handed over to him as offerings were turned and eventually became generals.

3 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

That's the first White Walker being created IMHO. So if he is the first, he's the king.

So why isn't he blue with the Darth Maul horns in the video then?  Also if he's the very first White Walker, then that would have been one of the earlier waves of undead, not this latest one we just saw last episode.

Just a little note on NK/Arya...

The Night King was the only one impervious to dragon fire. Given that the dragons were supposed to be defending Bran (although they got lost in the storm, which BTW, had been seen before at Hardhome and when Jon goes north to get a wight), he was the only one who could be guaranteed to get through. He had to go to make sure Bran was taken care of.

As for Arya, it was always going to be her. She was trained for that moment. She's not a soldier, she's an assassin. Jon trying to do it would have been (a) predictable and (b) a guaranteed loser. In the first episode of season eight, we see her go to meet Jon in the Godswood and he comments about how she was able to creep up on him (in otherwise total silence), so slipping through to the NK with battle still raging would be a matter of little moment given her skills.

Don't forget that Arya has the most intimate relationship with death...and the NK was death itself.

1 minute ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

Just a little note on NK/Arya...

The Night King was the only one impervious to dragon fire. Given that the dragons were supposed to be defending Bran (although they got lost in the storm, which BTW, had been seen before at Hardhome and when Jon goes north to get a wight), he was the only one who could be guaranteed to get through. He had to go to make sure Bran was taken care of.

As for Arya, it was always going to be her. She was trained for that moment. She's not a soldier, she's an assassin. Jon trying to do it would have been (a) predictable and (b) a guaranteed loser. In the first episode of season eight, we see her go to meet Jon in the Godswood and he comments about how she was able to creep up on him (in otherwise total silence), so slipping through to the NK with battle still raging would be a matter of little moment given her skills.

Don't forget that Arya has the most intimate relationship with death...and the NK was death itself.

You should post more on these boards.

34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, but there have been multiple waves of undead marches to the south which implies there have been multiple Night Kings.  That doesn't mean this latest one isn't Rhaegar.

No there hasn’t. 

By the time of Robert’s rebellion some 8000 years or so after the War for the Dawn when the Children and the First Men drove the Night King back to the northern most region of the kingdoms that make up what would become Westeros the Night King, the Children and Giants have been relegated to children’s stories and lore. 

Before that for a couple thousand years the Children and First men were engaged in war hence the creation of the Night King by the Children. The Children used magic to break the arm of Dorne and flood the Neck in their desperate attempts to stop the First Men/Andels from encroachment. The Night King “rebelled” and turned against everybody. 

During the invasion by the Night King 8000 years ago they swept through the continent killing everybody and only the pact between the First Men and Children were able to push them back and they were never seen again (except by wildlings perhaps) until now.