• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, I like pie said:

Those ships sure had good aim for such a new invention:eyeroll:

Yeah, the aim was a bit perfect, but the weapon isn't really that new. It was created pretty early on last season, IIRC

You're referring to the scene below, but in the books these ballistas have been used for centuries against dragons, so I doubt we should think of them as entirely new.

9 hours ago, kimik said:

Yeah, that was easy pickings for her. All she had to do was go high and circle behind them once they started firing on the ships. That was lazy and rushed writing.

I mentioned it last season when Bronn shot the dragon with that first ballista they had hidden on the wagon, it has limited area of fire and is limited to about a 45 degree angle up. A top down attack (above the clouds and dive bomb or just hover directly above the target) and those ballistae are worthless. It also looks like they have limited lateral turning range. 

Did anyone else notice in the opening animated credits sequence this season that they had a spoiler/clue to tonight's episode? 

I saw it on first watching, the animation builds a ballista, the camera rides along the shaft of the bolt towards the head, then forward....where there's a dragon's head. 

Edited by comix4fun

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I went into tonight's episode just hoping it would find some way to be better....and dear lord did it not disappoint. Easily the best episode of the show I've ever seen or danm near it.

On a side note. Dani has been pretty clearly turning evil/dark for the last few seasons. Anyone else been enjoying her sorta "heel" turn? Also do you think the show will ever make any effort to reveal the Azor Ahai?

It was a masterpiece of viewer manipulation, as good as anything Martin ever did in those early seasons. They pushed all the buttons simultaneously.

Sure, there were some really really horrible tropes and out of character development moments that were head scratchers, but they really REALLY fomented all the hatred towards one group to where their ultimate destruction will be satisfying. It was almost too much, but they balanced it well with some bad behavior on the protagonists' side. 

Dani has that "maybe the Mad King wasn't so mad after all, burning them all sounds about right" look in her eye for sure.

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The last few seasons of the show have been somewhat of a letdown for me. Last weeks episode was the culmination of "what happened to this show?". People loved it for the big clash and great music, but the episode made little to no sense and sorta punked out/ruined the main terror driving the show for years (and it did it in a very stupid way, but so be it that's been discussed).

I went into tonight's episode just hoping it would find some way to be better....and dear lord did it not disappoint. Easily the best episode of the show I've ever seen or danm near it.

Ive never been a fan of "ultimate no effort required" Superhuman's in my fiction. Dani on the dragon was becoming that. It was like flying around in a F-15 going to war against guys with spears and longbows. Finally having an army that can not only fight her "instant win no effort required" forces and actually defeat them, it put something back on the line for the battles. It means that this is not just written in stone "they with the dragons shall win" time filler, but it will actually have to be clever. It will have to involve some guile and planning. Now it can be anyone's game to win. I almost wonder if the throne itself will be destroyed and all the kingdoms will go autonomous?

On a side note. Dani has been pretty clearly turning evil/dark for the last few seasons. Anyone else been enjoying her sorta "heel" turn? Also do you think the show will ever make any effort to reveal the Azor Ahai?

I think it's Arya.

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, the aim was a bit perfect, but the weapon isn't really that new. It was created pretty early on last season, IIRC

Relatively speaking,  it's new. What moving targets were they practicing on? It doesn't bother me too much but it got a big eye roll.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

How does that help when those spear guns have a 180 degree range?

Looking at how the ships were aligned and the weapons being at a 45 degree angle, all she had to do was come from directly above them and they were fooked. She saw the Night King do this to their forces at Winterfell. It would also take time for them to spin the weapons around - a competent battle leader would have faked flying away only to go high, come down directly on top of the closely bunched ships, and have a nice bonfire.

I think I have to start paying more attention to the opening credits....

Spoiler

495390924_gotopeningcredits.gif.2a3ca78c204cb031343c917d3e3d39a8.gif

I noticed it last night for the first time, but it's been there all season....

32 minutes ago, I like pie said:
2 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Relatively speaking,  it's new. What moving targets were they practicing on? It doesn't bother me too much but it got a big eye roll.

This bothered me, and the fact that they seemed to be able to speed re-load after firing.

21 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I think I have to start paying more attention to the opening credits....

Hide contents

495390924_gotopeningcredits.gif.2a3ca78c204cb031343c917d3e3d39a8.gif

I noticed it last night for the first time, but it's been there all season....

Son a gun. I remember seeing that, but not realizing it was a hint of what was to come.

5 minutes ago, Antpark said:

This bothered me, and the fact that they seemed to be able to speed re-load after firing.

I think it was because so many ships were now armed with Scorpions. And if you look behind Euron, they have an arsenal of arrows sitting right within reach of the 'archer'. So it was setup for rapid fire if not from one Scorpion, then from a battery of them across all the ships.

Euron_arrows01.thumb.PNG.9653fb3f64b3febef1a506107a7f2e96.PNG

So Brienne is devastated by thinking that Jamie went back to King’s Landing after their tryst because he still loves Cersei. Yet as already discussed at length, it is thought he is going back to slay her. If he does become the Queenslayer, it will be the ultimate redemption for the character who has been heading in that direction for a while now.

Euron must be wondering how Tyrion knew about Cersei’s pregnancy when he himself only just found out. Do the math, pal... :makepoint:

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Looking at how the ships were aligned and the weapons being at a 45 degree angle, all she had to do was come from directly above them and they were fooked.

What's the range of dragonfire?  In that episode at the end of season 6 where the three dragons roasted a fleet of ships, they weren't more than a few dozen feet over the ships, so you'd have to assume the range is something like 40 to 80 feet.  How does Drogon get that close to the ships in the image below without getting speared by the ships at the edges of the formation?

2000?cb=20190506030156

48 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Euron must be wondering how Tyrion knew about Cersei’s pregnancy when he himself only just found out. Do the math, pal... :makepoint:

Wow DID Tyrion know?

Should we assume Cersei took the Westeros equivalent of the morning after pill after she got it on with Euron so we definitely know it's Jaime's kid?