• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

I think Drogon just recognized that Dany's obsession with the the throne was her downfall. He blamed the throne, and the Seven Kingdoms for her corruption, and not Jon for killing her. 

Dragons are supposed to be very intelligent, and understand humans. Tyrion mentioned this when he freed them earlier.

Agreed. That scene in Meeren when Tyrion freed Rhaegal and Viserion.

“Dragons are intelligent – more intelligent than men according to some maesters. They have affection for their friends and fury for their enemies. I am their friend.”

Edited by Bosco685

45 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Are GoT dragons supposed to be smart enough to understand human society or symbolism?  I didn't see them demonstrated as being significantly smarter than horses.

In one episode Tyrion remarks that dragons are thought to be as smart as humans. He was well read.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed. That scene in Meeren when Tyrion freed Rhaegal and Viserion.

“Dragons are intelligent – more intelligent than men according to some maesters. They have affection for their friends and fury for their enemies. I am their friend.”

Yes that was it. You just beat me to it!

Just now, Anfield Fox said:

Yes that was it. You just beat me to it!

:foryou:

I changed the video to the longer scene, where he tells Varys, Grey Worm and Missandei about the history and characteristics of dragons.

Anyone notice Jon did to Daenerys exactly the same thing that the Night's Watch did to him for what both believed to be justied reasons. Then Jon came back to life. Daenerys is taken away and not seen again. The show may be over but the story doesn't end there, at least not in our minds.

I still don't get how they'd know all about human society or what the iron throne represents.  Dogs and cats are fairly intelligent compared to most species, but they have no prayer of understanding society.  Kids are intelligent, but they can't understand symbolism or society until they learn language first, and even then it doesn't make much sense until they're 7 or 8 or so.  Unless dragons can comprehend human language I don't know why they'd know anything about what Dany's goal was, what a king or a queen is, or what the iron throne represented.  Dany only knew what it was because of her background; otherwise an empty throne would have meant nothing to her.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Why exactly did Drogon burn the throne?  I get that he was upset about Dany's death, but I didn't get why he focused his fire right on the throne and as soon as it melted he stopped.  Was it incidental and he didn't realize what was in front of him, or was it intentional?

And why the heck didn't he gobble Jon up in one bite?  Are we to assume it's just because he's Targaryen?  Targaryen or not, he just killed his "mom."  I had no idea why he didn't focus his rage on Jon but instead pointed away from him and at the throne.  ???

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I think with Drogon melting down the throne, it was symbolism for all the deaths and pain suffered to finally sit upon that seat. Including his brothers dead for it. So with Dany gone, he wanted nobody to have it.

I think with Jon, it came down to the Targaryen loyalty. No matter how much he wanted to roast him on the spot. He didn't have to obey him. But he couldn't kill him.

34 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

I think Drogon just recognized that Dany's obsession with the the throne was her downfall. He blamed the throne, and the Seven Kingdoms for her corruption, and not Jon for killing her. 

Dragons are supposed to be very intelligent, and understand humans. Tyrion mentioned this when he freed them earlier.

This is why I think in the moment, they really should have had Jon lean into his father's bloodline, stand there and face down Drogon with the authority of a Targaryen king and say "dracarys" while pointing at the throne.  I think it would have made more sense than having Jon stare at Drogon and then cower down hoping not to get burnt to a crisp.  It would have given the audience a glimpse at his potential as king, even if he didn't want it, while showing that he was truly willing to break the wheel by not only stopping Daenarys, but also by ridding them of that accursed throne.  

Edited by Doc McCoy

1 hour ago, bane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And when he does the unthinkable I didn't really care.

What he does to Dany really brought no emotion from me because its all been rushed to get there.

All of the deaths in this show for me at least have brought forth some emotion... 

Ned Stark
Red Wedding - I shouted at the TV that I could not believe this was happening.
Joffrey - I rejoiced when he breathed his last.
Walder Frey & Littlefinger - I loved it when Arya slit their throats
Ramsay Bolton - When Sansa feeds him to the hounds after Jon beats the out of him, awesome.
Jorah - protecting his queen was great
Theon - redeemed, great scene

Jon stabbing Dany, didn't care. I should have, it should have brought some emotion but I didn't care.

To be honest season 8 has made Jon Snow nothing more than a bland secondary character sat on the sidelines, I've been disappointed with the way he's been handled. My opinion of course.

That might be because a death of a character in a final episode does not hold as much emontional weight as it would if it happened earlier. Live or die you will never see them again anyway but if a favourite character is written out during the run of a show and you no longer get to see that character it leaves you wanting more.

Or you could just be a simpleton :baiting:

Anyway I was disapointed with the finale. The first 1/3 was great but was unhappy with the direction it went afterwards. That small council scene was like an SNL skit. Did not like the character resolutions and had hoped for one last twist at the end. Still though, the journey is more important than the destination. 72 and 1/3 episodes were almost perfect.

6 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

This is why I think in the moment, they really should have had Jon lean into his father's bloodline, stand there and face down Drogon with the authority of a Targaryen king and say "dracarys" while pointing at the throne.  I think it would have made more sense than having Jon stare at Drogon and then cower down hoping not to get burnt to a crisp.  It would have given the audience a glimpse at his potential as king, even if he didn't want it, while showing that he was truly willing to break the wheel by not only stopping Daenarys, but also by ridding them of that accursed throne.  

Yea that does sound better.

6 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

That might be because a death of a character in a final episode does not hold as much emontional weight as it would if it happened earlier. Live or die you will never see them again anyway but if a favourite character is written out during the run of a show and you no longer get to see that character it leaves you wanting more.

Or you could just be a simpleton :baiting:

No that's not it. The rushed manner in the way we got to the end is what deprived of the scene of the emotional weight. :baiting:

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I still don't get how they'd know all about human society or what the iron throne represents.  Dogs and cats are fairly intelligent compared to most species, but they have no prayer of understanding society.  Kids are intelligent, but they can't understand symbolism or society until they learn language first, and even then it doesn't make much sense until they're 7 or 8 or so.  Unless dragons can comprehend human language I don't know why they'd know anything about what Dany's goal was, what a king or a queen is, or what the iron throne represented.  Dany only knew what it was because of her background; otherwise an empty throne would have meant nothing to her.

Sometimes you have to avoid the trap of 'What if crickets had shotguns - would birds still try to eat them' questioning. It can drive you to drink.

In this case:

1) Dragons are more intelligence than men.

2) They served only due to the Targaryens having some magical control over them (did the books explain how?).

3) Drogon heard enough of Dany talking about her being the rightful heir to the Iron Throne enough times, this came to symbolize all that they had endured together.

4) Now that Dany was gone (is she though?), Drogon wanted the throne gone out of defiance for his losses.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sometimes you have to avoid the trap of 'What if crickets had shotguns - would birds still try to eat them' questioning. It can drive you to drink.

In this case:

1) Dragons are more intelligence than men.

2) They served only due to the Targaryens having some magical control over them (did the books explain how?).

3) Drogon heard enough of Dany talking about her being the rightful heir to the Iron Throne enough times, this came to symbolize all that they had endured together.

4) Now that Dany was gone (is she though?), Drogon wanted the throne gone out of defiance for his losses.

From Nate Scott of USA Today:

This is quite possibly the smartest dragon in the world, as it inherently understood that it was the corrupting power of the Iron Throne that led to Dany’s downfall, and not Jon Snow.

Or it’s the stupidest dragon in the world, as it saw a knife in Dany and assumed it was the evil chair made of knives who stabbed her, and then had its revenge. TAKE THAT, KNIFEY CHAIR. MY QUEEN, YOU HAVE BEEN AVENGED.

I understand this is giving D&D more credit than they deserve, so I'll take the credit to help me sleep at night and toss this theory out there...

I think Tyrion knew how this all would end based on his conversation with Bran before the battle with the dead. Tyrion made the drunken comment the night before the battle that everyone in the room would live. He was right...they survived the Battle of Winterfell.

I think Tyrion also knew that Jaime would die in the battle for Kings Landing or sometime soon after the Battle of Winterfell, which is why he became so desperate and out-of-character to save his brother and his sister. He thought he could alter the future, but he played at part in his brother's demise. 

Bran was moving all the the characters around like pawns during the final season. "You were exactly where you needed to be." "I wouldn't have come all this way"

It's a shame D&D rushed everything. Bran's path to the throne - conquering the dead and conquering the iron throne - could have been spread out over two seasons. 

Drogon knew exactly what he was doing and it was a fairly easy concept. His mother had been consumed by the need to sit this throne and it had taken her life, therefore it was the real killer.

It's not a particularly nuanced concept to understand and given the emotional intelligence of the dragons, easy to see why Drogon did what he did.

It seems to me (again) that the problem isn't with what was necessarily done but rather it's not what certain people's personal preference was.

Having entirely rejected his heritage, why would Jon suddenly embrace it and start commanding dragons? That would surely be one of those 180 degree turns that apparently have been cropping up all over the place?

13 minutes ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

Drogon knew exactly what he was doing and it was a fairly easy concept. His mother had been consumed by the need to sit this throne and it had taken her life, therefore it was the real killer.

It's not a particularly nuanced concept to understand and given the emotional intelligence of the dragons, easy to see why Drogon did what he did.

It seems to me (again) that the problem isn't with what was necessarily done but rather it's not what certain people's personal preference was.

Having entirely rejected his heritage, why would Jon suddenly embrace it and start commanding dragons? That would surely be one of those 180 degree turns that apparently have been cropping up all over the place?

How did Jon entirely reject his heritage? Pretty sure he was the one riding Rhaegal.  

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, just like the solid decade of beeching about Star Wars Episodes 1 through 3 waved Disney off of Star Wars.  Just as was the case with those films they will look at the revenue records that got set and gauge viewer demand from that.

not a good comparison, very different properties- there aren't any GoT action figures, cartoons, and video games- and they did wait a decade didn't they? And only after Lucas sold SW to Disney and they trotted out the original cast did they move forward. Now that Disney has fumbled a bit with SW, they too have scaled back, and they have much deeper pockets. Let's see how HBO subs drop in the next month, HBO is sure going to be watching that metric very closely.

2 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

not a good comparison, very different properties- there aren't any GoT action figures, cartoons, and video games- and they did wait a decade didn't they? And only after Lucas sold SW to Disney and they trotted out the original cast did they move forward. Now that Disney has fumbled a bit with SW, they too have scaled back, and they have much deeper pockets. Let's see how HBO subs drop in the next month, HBO is sure going to be watching that metric very closely.

:baiting::foryou:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Game-of-Thrones-Funko-6-Legacy-Action-Figure-Bundle-Daenerys-Drogo/938885810

63e2333e-1f59-4751-b5bf-6cb2d52af25b_1.2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire_video_games

As of October 2018, seven video games based on the A Song of Ice and Fire novels and Game of Thrones series have been released, with an eighth forthcoming. A sequel to a previously released game has been canceled. The following table showcases the correspondent title, release date, publisher, developer and the platforms on which each game was released along with any other relevant information.