• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trump issue still sealed in publishers wrAPPER

9 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Justntymeproductions said:

Trump issue still sealed in publishers wrAPPER

I found a 3/90 playboy issue still in its publishers wrapper. Is it worth getting  cgc appraised or should I just keep it the way it is. I was hoping on selling it to help w/christmas this year.  

If you get it graded by CGC, the wrapper must be removed.

Looking on ebay, that issue in higher-grade (9.4-9.6) sold on ebay for about $500.  Once you get to 9.0 or below, the price goes down to $200 or less.  These are before ebay/paypal fees.  Also keep in mind that it'll cost $50-$100 to get the magazine graded and returned to you. 

Condition will be key.  You could stand to make a few hundred dollars (possibly) if the book has few to no bends or creases.  If the condition is worse, it'll be much less. 

I'm currently selling a Al Hirschfield Bill Cosby caricature. I can't believe the hateful emails I've gotten, with several people vowing to never buy anything from my store.

Be prepared.

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'm currently selling a Al Hirschfield Bill Cosby caricature. I can't believe the hateful emails I've gotten, with several people vowing to never buy anything from my store.

Be prepared.

Just stupid. It's not like your raising money for his defense fund. 

CGC graded and encapsulated this issue does seem to be selling for a lot more than when sold raw. You can buy raw, appear to be high grade copies on eBay for $20-$40. 

If you send your copy in to CGC and it gets a 9.0 or better you should make more money than selling it raw. If it gets 9.4 or better maybe a LOT more money. HOWEVER, I would not wait until around Christmas to sell. Playboys of this vintage are plentiful. Their circulation was in the range of 3-5 million copies per issue. And men saved their Playboys magazines. Right now, there is a nice premium associated with the issue being CGC graded. If lots of copies get sent in for grading, that premium may well start to evaporate.