• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #6 Star-lord Comic as an Investment Book?

17 posts in this topic

Marvel Spotlight #6 Star-lord Comic as an Investment Book?

Hi everyone,

I'm Just wondering about Marvel Spotlight #6 (1980) as an Investment comic book?  This is the first comic book appearance of Star-Lord and origin of Star-Lord, but wondering how key is this comic compared to his earlier appearances in Marvel Preview? 

Obviously Marvel Preview #4 is the big first appearance. It is THE KEY star lord comic. But I was wondering if collectors might warm up to Marvel Spotlight #6 in the similar way that they've warmed up to Rocket's first comic book appearance in Hulk #271. 

In the case of Rocket Raccoon, the Hulk #271 seems to be the definitive first apperance in mainstream Marvel continuity while Marvel Preview #7 IS THE first appearance but it does not occur in Marvel continuity, am I correct about this? This seems similar to the continuity problems in Harley Quinn's first appearance in B.A. #12.  Near mint minus overstreet value of Marvel Spotlight #6 is $55, compared to $200 for the Hulk #271, wondering if Marvel Spotlight #6 is undervalued and may have some price increases in the next few years?

Finally, are Star Lord's appearances in the Marvel Preview issues considered to be part of mainstream Marvel universe continuity?  It looks like Marvel Preview #4 was also Star Lord's origin as well so this confuses me about the importance of Marvel Spotlight #6 and #7 as origin issues. I haven't read any of these early Star Lord issues, and I couldn't find any info online, so I hope to get some clarifications here. Thanks.

Peter

Edited by Why Comics Rule

It's an undervalued book but the prices have been slowly rising.  It is also hard to find in high grade likely because it was in the dollar boxes for so long.  You won't see too many 9.8's for sale but when they do show up they are almost as pricey as Hulk 271 9.8.  

I expect this book will continue to grow as Chris Pratt is great in the role and StarLord is becoming more prominent in the Marvel U with the reveal that he is a Celestial.  See what that has done to Eternal #1 & #2 prices.  

Finally, are Star Lord's appearances in the Marvel Preview issues considered to be part of mainstream Marvel universe continuity?  It looks like Marvel Preview #4 was also Star Lord's origin as well so this confuses me about the importance of Marvel Spotlight #6 and #7 as origin issues. I haven't read any of these early Star Lord issues, and I couldn't find any info online, so I hope to get some clarifications here. Thanks.

---

He appeared in a bunch of Marvel Preview issues, which makes me feel like the "first comic appearance" a few years later isn't much of anything.  sure, it's going to be, and is, worth something, but rocket's first app in preview is borderline prototype, whereas the comic appearance, which doesn't have 5 or 6 magazine apps in between, defines him more

Edited by the blob

6 hours ago, the blob said:

---

He appeared in a bunch of Marvel Preview issues, which makes me feel like the "first comic appearance" a few years later isn't much of anything.  sure, it's going to be, and is, worth something, but rocket's first app in preview is borderline prototype, whereas the comic appearance, which doesn't have 5 or 6 magazine apps in between, defines him more

People like their comic books.  No extra supplies to but and they fit in the box and feel right in your hand.  It also has a cool cover.  

I've recently re-read the Bronze Age Star-Lord magazine and comic stories. 

Issue 6 is just a retelling of the origin from Marvel Preview 4.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Thanks for the insights everyone.  the blob, I liked your explanation about Rocket as a prototype in Marvel Preview #7, very interesting.  Unlike Rocket Raccoon, who only had the one appearance in Marvel Preview #7, it seems that Star Lord was well fleshed out in those Marvel Preview appearances so Marvel Spotlight #6 doesn't seem like a very key issue to me. 

On 25/05/2017 at 6:32 AM, Why Comics Rule said:

None of Star-Lord's original Bronze Age stories were tied to Marvel Universe continuity.  Marvel Preview #4, published in 1976, was set in 1990.  Some characters from Star-Lord's second appearance in Marvel Preview #11 were shown with Lilandra in X-Men #125, but this was probably just an in-joke by John Byrne and Terry Austin, who drew both issues.

The first attempt to bring Star-Lord into the Marvel Universe was in Inhumans v4 #4 by Carlos Pacheco and Jose Ladronn, which suggested Star-Lord was a character in the future of the Marvel Universe.  Keith Giffen then contradicted this by writing Star-Lord as a supporting character in Thanos #8-12, set in the present.  Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are said to have considered the Bronze Age stories were canon, but their successor on Guardians of the Galaxy, Brian Michael Bendis, has little time for continuity and wrote a new and incompatible Star-Lord origin in GOTG #0.1.  Following this retcon, the Bronze Age stories are now considered to have happened in reality-791 not reality-616.

On 5/25/2017 at 6:51 PM, Why Comics Rule said:

Thanks for the insights everyone.  the blob, I liked your explanation about Rocket as a prototype in Marvel Preview #7, very interesting.  Unlike Rocket Raccoon, who only had the one appearance in Marvel Preview #7, it seems that Star Lord was well fleshed out in those Marvel Preview appearances so Marvel Spotlight #6 doesn't seem like a very key issue to me. 

If you read Marvel Preview #7 and Incredible Hulk #271, #271 reads more like a prototype.  That has to be one of the worst keys to reads ever.  it is up there with Star Wars #107.

If #271 was the Rocket's 1st appearance, there never would have been a 2nd appearance.

I wouldn't rule out the importance of Marvel Spotlight #6 though.  There are many, many collectors who do not regard non comic book pamphlets as the 1st appearance of any character.  Numerous examples include: Marvel Previews #7, Marvel Illustrated Version of the Empire Strikes Back, Savage Tales #1, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #22, Mystery Comics Digest #5, etc.  Marvel Spotlight #6 will definitely get noticed eventually.  It is just a book that is fairly plentiful which I think holds it back at the moment.

Edited by rjrjr

On 5/27/2017 at 0:18 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

None of Star-Lord's original Bronze Age stories were tied to Marvel Universe continuity.  Marvel Preview #4, published in 1976, was set in 1990.  Some characters from Star-Lord's second appearance in Marvel Preview #11 were shown with Lilandra in X-Men #125, but this was probably just an in-joke by John Byrne and Terry Austin, who drew both issues.

The first attempt to bring Star-Lord into the Marvel Universe was in Inhumans v4 #4 by Carlos Pacheco and Jose Ladronn, which suggested Star-Lord was a character in the future of the Marvel Universe.  Keith Giffen then contradicted this by writing Star-Lord as a supporting character in Thanos #8-12, set in the present.  Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are said to have considered the Bronze Age stories were canon, but their successor on Guardians of the Galaxy, Brian Michael Bendis, has little time for continuity and wrote a new and incompatible Star-Lord origin in GOTG #0.1.  Following this retcon, the Bronze Age stories are now considered to have happened in reality-791 not reality-616.

:facepalm:

It is just a matter of time before another writer comes along and puts those stories back into "continuity".  Good information by the way.  The head holding was because of the Bendis.

Just curious, do readers consider the stories from the time Spider-man was married to Mary Jane Watson to Brand New Day as being out of continuity now?  That's got to be a tough one for collectors to reconcile. 

Edited by rjrjr

On 5/27/2017 at 3:18 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Which means Spotlight 6 isn't really part of the Bendisfied version either as it is the guy from the magazines. So, aside from comic collector's weird obsession with the size of a comic book (as if magazine size makes it any less of a "comic book"..so what are big golden age books?...), I'm not sure why it would be a key.

On 6/2/2017 at 2:51 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I can't move them on eBay. Realizing that I may be an outlier, but they just sit.

they seem to be selling for $15-$30 on ebay in VF to NM- sub-CGC worthy grades

On 5/29/2017 at 3:46 AM, rjrjr said:

If you read Marvel Preview #7 and Incredible Hulk #271, #271 reads more like a prototype.  That has to be one of the worst keys to reads ever.  it is up there with Star Wars #107.

If #271 was the Rocket's 1st appearance, there never would have been a 2nd appearance.

I wouldn't rule out the importance of Marvel Spotlight #6 though.  There are many, many collectors who do not regard non comic book pamphlets as the 1st appearance of any character.  Numerous examples include: Marvel Previews #7, Marvel Illustrated Version of the Empire Strikes Back, Savage Tales #1, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #22, Mystery Comics Digest #5, etc.  Marvel Spotlight #6 will definitely get noticed eventually.  It is just a book that is fairly plentiful which I think holds it back at the moment.

"There are many, many collectors who do not regard non comic book pamphlets as the 1st appearance of any character."

Which is silly, of course. Especially in the case of graphic novels or graphic pulp magazines like Savage Tales. 

On 5/29/2017 at 3:58 AM, rjrjr said:

:facepalm:

It is just a matter of time before another writer comes along and puts those stories back into "continuity".  Good information by the way.  The head holding was because of the Bendis.

Just curious, do readers consider the stories from the time Spider-man was married to Mary Jane Watson to Brand New Day as being out of continuity now?  That's got to be a tough one for collectors to reconcile. 

Of course, the original Guardian of the Galaxy in comics are now part of the MCU, which was outside their timeline in the Marvel continuity. It's all fluid.