• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer 6 1st time submission

12 posts in this topic

PGM Silver Surfer 6 1st time submission

I stumbled upon this gem at a local convention, then after checking it out at home realized its actually pretty nice, perhaps slab-worthy.  I'm very curious as to what you guys think; I am very new to grading.

Note: what looks like defects on mostly the black part on first scan, those are from the plastic sleeve.

Silver%20Surfer%20scan%20front_zpssdrrtp

Silver%20Surfer%20scan%20back.jpeg_zpskb

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%207_zpsfplcfcz

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%206_zpssx6iyjz

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%205_zpswemwhnh

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%204_zps4nrpyam

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%203_zpsqsksnel

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%202_zpsih091wx

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%201_zpsjwwbgox

Edited by Joosh
added pics

I see a few issues. The lower left corner looks to be a bit crunched as does the top  outer  back. The large issue I see is the color break in that unusual curve off to the right of the surfer's left arm. It must have been pressured at one time making that odd crease and  I think that brings down what otherwise is a really nice looking book with excellent color and sheen, very nice spine with no staple tears at all. I would hazard an 8.5 possible an 8.0. CGC grading remains opaque to me at times. I imagine it has a value at about $150 perhaps a bit less if  that grade is accurate so slabbing is a decision that's fair. It might help to press it but it's hard to tell if that peculiar munch is breaking the color. Pressing would cut down the profit for sure if that motivates you. If you love it for itself, good for you.  Once it's in its little plastic prison you can't read it anymore. 

Nice Book. 

Thanks! So that curved line near his left arm is actually from the plastic. I'm going to get a better naked cover pic later today. The plastic makes it look bad, I totally see what you are looking at. 

I just don't  trust putting it in the scanner without plastic sleeve. 

Looks like a dust shadow on the top back cover which seems to be getting harder by CGC.  I'll still go 8.5 due to the killer gloss and the square bounds having to get a small bump since they have so many production type issues.  Great book

more pics!  Thanks again for the detailed explanations, you guys are great.  There is a little crushing on the bottom left corner going on.  Do you think it could press out significantly?  Also I noticed a slight  (looks like a fingernail drag mark) dent at top edge in my latest cover photo, that could also use a press.

I'd be totally stoked with a 9.0!  Happy with 8.5. 

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%2010_zpsmb5083

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%209_zpsswx1qyx

Silver%20Surfer%20resized%208_zpsbumw6mo

I love the books for themselves, not the money but the money is the prime mover. Right now in GP Analysis, a 9.2 pulled $215.00 in April. A 9.0 was down trending and had a  $116.00  in  April, a slight downtrend.  Anyone buying the book is looking to see if a press can increase value and that is marginal for lots of books compared to the press and grade costs.  I'm relatively new at this but I can add. 

Your book is really really nice. If you want it because you love it, I would not slab it and read it really carefully when you find the muse. If you're looking for money, I would not slab it now but rather see what the market does. Not all books automatically go up.  Processing the book from being a great graphic arts book ( which you've got) to a monetized slab is a strange and sometimes pricey experience that may not pay you.

At this point I tend  to think this could be a 9.0. I have doubts about higher and I can't see a press making that corner disappear. Getting rid of the crease was an enormous help.  It has very few other problems. Just a pretty book and it's in my hoard. This book peaked for now at $365 in winter for a 9.4 and I don't see this getting there. I don't know what the dust shadow is that 1Cool sees. Perhaps he could explain.   I am learning, just like you are. 

Seems like a 9.0. Maybe a 9.2 if the grader has a couple drinks.

• dust shadow on back
  • very light edge creasing
  • some teeny creases near the binding
  • minor blunting 

If you're looking to sell, seems like you could get at least $100 for it raw. I'm not sure you stand to gain much by getting it slabbed.

If you were to get it slabbed, you'd be hoping for the 9.2 to make it worth the effort.

Edited by adampasz

The dust shadow on the back is real.  I tried to capture it in the back cover closeup.

Even an 8.5 is fantastic; I only spent $5 on this book; assuming it was a decent mid-grade silver age Marvel. Imagine my elation once I pulled it out of the scuffed up sleeve to see how nice it really is!

Thank again, guys! I've never sold any of my comics (nor have i really tried.)  I did however just start to get interested in grading/slabbing.  I like displaying the slabbed books as art; just looks cool to me to line up the favorites and know they are protected well, and see them whenever I walk into the room.  I haven't submitted any to CGC yet, I've only bought CGC books already slabbed.  I have digital copies, including this one, so reading it is not a big deal.  The monetary value does matter for insurance purposes and perhaps a unique inheritance for the kids if they get into comics.

So here's a question: If not going the the full graded/slabbed (expensive) route, what's out there nowadays to give maximum protection for display purposes?

On a backer board in a mylar sleeve mildly compressed flat and out of sunlight in a nice cool place would be my choice. Having them out where you can see them has an extractive cost.  Again, It's not a four or five figure book. Enjoy it. You can get higher quality glassine pieces at Staples that can likely seal it a bit better but it would put them in a binder. 

It does seem to me that the term"Dust Shadow" is really an oxidation of the paper due to temperature and potential exposure to light causing the browning tone. Is that essentially correct?

Edited by Glassman10

On 5/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, Glassman10 said:

On a backer board in a mylar sleeve mildly compressed flat and out of sunlight in a nice cool place would be my choice. Having them out where you can see them has an extractive cost.  Again, It's not a four or five figure book. Enjoy it. You can get higher quality glassine pieces at Staples that can likely seal it a bit better but it would put them in a binder. 

It does seem to me that the term"Dust Shadow" is really an oxidation of the paper due to temperature and potential exposure to light causing the browning tone. Is that essentially correct?

As per Overstreet -

Dust Shadow = Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and it was exposed to settling dust particles.

Oxidation Shadow = Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and it was exposed to the air.

Sun Shadow = Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and it suffered prolonged exposure to the light. A serious defect, unlike a Dust shadow, which can sometimes be removed.

Very nice book. Square bound are tough. I'm at 9.0