• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phoenix Comicon 2017

18 posts in this topic

Phoenix Comicon 2017

Was anyone around to witness the armed man targeting the police?  My best friend texted me about it and I was like, "gunman? What gunman?" (shrug)  I stuck just to the Exhibitor's Hall on the bottom floor so I never saw anything out of the ordinary.  Except for this (no, not the blue people - I don't know who they are, like 50% of cosplayers these days):

IMG_20170525_200409.jpg

So my girlfriend laughed at me upon viewing that and said "yes, they are a real thing and you should have bought me a pair!"  :tonofbricks:

I bought her a baby Groot t-shirt and Spidey baby booties instead.  And went home with nothing but cash after selling a few books.  I did have a lot of fun at the con despite not sticking around the rest of the weekend to catch any celebs.  Maybe next year - this was more about getting money for grading and upcoming house expenses.  And hiding part of the profit from the little woman.  Never disclose your full profits in case you want to splurge on a book later!  My gift to you, ladies and gentlemen.

I just started going to con's year before last, and that was the first thing that I thought was the security was lax. I enjoyed it as it was a memory of what once was! As far as not having to get a pat down or something.

I've been a lot of places with tight security. In fact the first con I went to I brought my bag over to security to let them inspect and they looked at me CRAZY. I just figured it was already this way...... I'd laugh but it's not funny. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Not a big surprise to me. Luckily, no one got hurt. A comic con would be an ideal place for mayhem if some one would be so inclined. I have a friend who is an ex police officer who always has a permitted weapon on him and attends many comic shows. He tells me he has never been questioned or searched at a show. He is one of the "good guys" but suppose he wasn't? How easy would it be at SDCC or NYCC or any big show to just walk in and cause massive collateral damage with any kind of a weapon. A little scary. Crappy times we live in folks...

Real bummer that this happened, but soooooo glad they stopped the nutjob before he could hurt anyone.

Also feel bad for the folks waiting out in the 100F heat today in long lines to get in and for the folks who couldn't bring their great cosplay costumes (that many of them spend a lot of money and time and talent on).

But.... I completely understand PhxCC organizers doing this to reduce their own liability (I don't think it really protects anyone since all those long lines before they get to security could be easily attacked by the next nutjob).

I'm skipping it this year anyway, but I heard that it "seemed" less crowded today - we'll see on Saturday the big day.

I attend Fan expo canada every year, (3rd largest north american con) this is my 5th in a row.

Not once as any security asked to look at whats in my bag, iv'e never gone thru a metal detector or even looked at twice. I always thought this is a real possibility of happening. Crazy world we live in. It's almost too bad this is making nation headlines tho. Nothing like hanging a sign on the door for Isis lol

I've never felt unsafe at any con iv'e ever attended but the thought of this has always crossed my mind.

It's an unpleasant thing to admit, but something like this is much more likely to happen at a comic book convention than at a convention of model train enthusiasts or philatelists: there's a thin line for some people between enjoying fantasy as art and/or escapist entertainment, and living it out in real life.  And the ONLY reason the cops caught this nutter was because they were tipped off.  

This time, they got lucky; next time, it will be a real blood bath unless some hard choices are made by the organizers and promoters.

It's also very difficult for me to believe that bag checks are not mandatory at big events like this (my wife has to open her tiny purse for inspection every time we go to an Orioles game).  Going forward, they should be...

Security had checked bags in the past, but sounds like this guy scouted out the area first and found a gap in security. Granted, not something you'd want to hear as an attendee, but he didn't get in for a total lack of security.

I wonder what will happen to the con circuit going forward... total ban on weapon props? Or metal detectors/baggage scanners? Whatever happens, security will be tighter and ticket prices will likely increase.

I agree 100% I'm shocked any time I walk into a con and not asked to see what I have in my bag. I usually have a larger packsack for my comics and lunch and water etc.. 

I'd have 0 issues with a quick search. I know i'd feel a little safer at least. 

I got searched going into Rogers Center for a Blue Jays game, Patted down going up the CN tower but walk into the comic con next door with over 100,000 people there and nothing...

1 hour ago, TheRealVenom said:

I agree 100% I'm shocked any time I walk into a con and not asked to see what I have in my bag. I usually have a larger packsack for my comics and lunch and water etc.. 

I'd have 0 issues with a quick search. I know i'd feel a little safer at least. 

I got searched going into Rogers Center for a Blue Jays game, Patted down going up the CN tower but walk into the comic con next door with over 100,000 people there and nothing...

And people openly flashing "fake" weapons... 

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And people openly flashing "fake" weapons... 

Any weapon props HAVE to have it checked and a ribbon put on it at the con's I go too, but still check a bag, hopefully we won't have to wade through metal detectors--idk----safety IS worth it though :) 

Never a matter of if, but of when.  This will certainly change the landscape of security at cons.

One person with a trench coat can conceal a lot and one person with enough motivation will figure out how to get it done.  Glad to see no injuries or fatalities.  Kudos to Phoenix PD.  

This incident should be a wake-up call.  I've been concerned about the prospect of some kind of large media/comic event incident at San Diego for several years.  I'm sure that this has crossed many minds, but it's not something fans like to discuss.  Sadly, media/comic events are a perfect storm of opportunity for crazies, terrorists, whatever.  At SDCC you've got too many people packed tightly together ...many in costume... with too many points of entry to check consistently, celebrities in the mix and major media coverage.  San Diego is also home to one of the country's most important naval bases, so that has to be factored in as well.  

Of course, there's no place that's completely safe and we shouldn't live our lives in hiding because jerks with an agenda want to use fear against us.  Nevertheless, masked cosplayers ratchet up risks, lack of sufficient venue security ratchets up risks, masses of unfamiliar people herded together ratchet up risks.  If these complicating factors aren't taken seriously enough, eventually something will happen.  Unlike a limited duration sporting event or a 24/7/365 airport with in-place security, major conventions like SDCC are privately run multi-day events with free-flowing crowds built on personal anonymity.  It goes without saying that it makes these events an attractive target.

If my opinion were consulted, I'd discourage cosplay even if it drove down attendance.  I'd recommend doubling down on security to limit entry and improve checkpoints.  I'd do away with the oversized promo-bags and recommend that big-draw major celebrity appearances be held away from the convention center.  I'd also remove and detain blow-horn church zealots for the duration of the con.  OK, that last one probably won't improve security, but it would definitely improve the SDCC experience. :grin:

I'm not sure that this was a wake up call to law enforcement. They already know and train for this. In 2010 when I lived and worked in California, as part of my job, I read several daily law enforcement bulletins put out about SDCC. There were a ton of local, county, and state undercover law enforcement working that convention. There were federal agents assigned too. The worst thing I read (and then released to local media) is that there was a guy dressed as Pedobear taking pictures with kids at the convention. Of course there are always fights too.