• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we have the functionality to ignore specific threads?

Question

Can we ignore specific threads?

Hi @Architecht, I'm sure it's been noted already but we seem to be under attack from salesmen today:

1.thumb.PNG.b97f8c17822a9be865d6a86010b8089a.PNG

I'll have a chicken chow mein please, if you get through.

I don't know about anyone else, but my main focus on the boards is to discuss comic related matters and to enjoy myself. It's a comic chat forum. The world can be a horrible place, and the boards for me are an escape. This last week the boards have become quite a depressing place. We have had threads on terror attacks and people committing suicide within which members have argued and point scored to a level that I personally have found beyond distasteful. Even a thread on everyone's favourite comic has descended into petty arguments in which any post of substance is lost or passed over, such is the hurry for some to make their next financial point for the 88th time.

I support free speech 100%, and have zero interest in censoring anything anyone wants to say on these boards as long as they are within the rules. But I would like the ability to block out threads which I don't want to read, once it has become clear to me what they're about. 

So, is there any way you can create a process in which, like members, I can ignore a thread? When I scroll down the 'All Activity' list, to see what's new, I'd like to be able to hide  posts in threads which, in my opinion, have jumped the shark to the point of surrealism.

Is this possible? 

The threads are usually in the Water Cooler. I was an advocate in an earlier post for having the Water Cooler visible to the non-user to encourage more people to join. I think I used the phrase "because we don't just talk about comics here". What I intended at the time was to convey that we talk about films, music etc. Not people killing themselves and terrorist atrocities. You (CGC) have a policy of no politics, so have set a precedent on censorship in that respect. Are threads about terrorism really what CGC want to see on their Comic Chat Forum? If so, could you at least give us the ability to block them so we can talk about comics without having to fret over the outside world, and feel a little off if we happen to land a light-hearted comic related post which then sit's between posts about people killing themselves, or each other?

2.PNG.090ab0d2d77c2a1b2bc909e8cfb86a01.PNG

Edited by Marwood & I
Expanded the title for clarity

6 answers to this question

The ability to ignore a thread seems harmless enough, and perhaps even useful. I can get behind that. (thumbsu 

But as for requesting MORE censorship on a message board used by adults who choose to come here, I can't back that play.  Politics should be allowed, adult language should be allowed, any topic should be allowed. Let consenting adults be consenting adults.

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The ability to ignore a thread seems harmless enough, and perhaps even useful. I can get behind that. (thumbsu 

But as for requesting MORE censorship on a message board used by adults who choose to come here, I can't back that play.  Politics should be allowed, adult language should be allowed, any topic should be allowed. Let consenting adults be consenting adults.

Good points, fairly put. I get the either or bit, and maybe that's part of the problem. We can have threads where people hurl insults under thread headings that make you wince, but you're not allowed to say d ick for example even though it is a recognised forename. I think CGC should make their minds up whether this is an adult only board, with adult rules in place,  or a place where kids can check out comics along with adults. Maybe the moderation just needs tightening up. The inconsistencies are glaring lately with lots of posts querying what the rules are. 

Possibly it's a timing thing for me. It could be that I've just encountered too many threads lately which made me feel grubby after reading them, in full or in part. Should that be the case? If you think about it, what on earth is a comic chat forum doing allowing threads about terrorism on it? The boards have been around a long time now. I haven't been here long with them I'll admit, but that maybe qualifies me to be more objective and, with a mind free from the love that only a Seasoned Veteran can have, see that the plot has been lost somewhere along the way?

Maybe Arch will give us his thoughts on this at some point. Is it time for a rethink / refresh on posting guidelines?

This thread here touches on some of my points above:

It does seem to be the case that you have to notify if you feel action should be taken on any given post or thread. The moderators aren't necessarily going to do it for you. I'm not a big fan of notifying. There's something unsavoury about it. I have no problem pointing out when the Chinese mafia join just to offer fake passports (they're back right now), but I think the mods should be able to police everything else,  given how many of them there are, and how relatively low the board traffic is (you can often cover hours of posts from the all activity stream in a short period of time, and the problem threads / posts are fairly easy to spot from the expanded preview pane).

I think I'll have to learn how to use the software more effectively, creating my streams etc. In the meantime, the ability to block a thread from view would be nice, so if anyone in admin is reading......

One other point, people like me who have embraced the boards in a short space of time, ask lots of questions because we care. I don't have the benefit of years posting here, and I know that many of my points are old hat to some. I see from Arch's post above that the merits of the Water Cooler have been discussed before. Well, I haven't seen that and I think it's reasonable to refresh these things from time to time as more and more people join. I don't expect people to jump whenever a question is asked, but the lack of response sometimes just makes you feel that your thoughts aren't welcome or worthwhile. 

I'm hovering over 'submit reply'.............hm

Oh what the heck

t.thumb.PNG.1d24d9754e16d7c30537d38923ac4fef.PNG

Edited by Marwood & I
Never did get a response on this....

A response from Arch from a summary post elsewhere:

15 hours ago, Architecht said:

Response to some of the quick issues to address:

1. Ignoring specific threads - no facility on the boards for this one. There might be a plugin out there for this, but I don't think I'm in favor of people narrowing their exposure to topics the community is responding to. I think if you are ignoring the original poster, though, then that thread is not see.