• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some needed advice ladies and gentlemen!
1 1

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SushiX said:

Thank you guys for all the wonderful suggestions and all! One thing I can say is that my top book high grade  and lesser grade book are off by 2 points with same PQ. This is really an important decision for me and is going to be the biggest purchase ever so I really don't want to regret anything.? 

Eye-appeal is a factor as well as number grade. I'd tale a 6.0 with no dust shadow over an 8.0 with one anytime, I'd take a 6.0 Fiction House with deep reds over an 8.0 with orange where it should be red, a 6.0 with a clean white cover over an 8.0 with a yellowish transfer stain, etc. 

7 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Eye-appeal is a factor as well as number grade. I'd tale a 6.0 with no dust shadow over an 8.0 with one anytime, I'd take a 6.0 Fiction House with deep reds over an 8.0 with orange where it should be red, a 6.0 with a clean white cover over an 8.0 with a yellowish transfer stain, etc. 

I just finished looking at both and both are very nice with deep colors...its such a hard choice..

8 hours ago, SushiX said:

I just finished looking at both and both are very nice with deep colors...its such a hard choice..

WARCHEST 101 :

Sell several of your books that would be easier to replace, and use those funds to snag both of the books that are causing you such consternation. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Let me swim against the tide here. From an investment point of view, go with the highest grade you can.

But if you want nice things that make you smile when you look at them, two is better than one. I stopped buying medium to high graded stuff to drop back to (tightly graded) VG - Fine a couple of years back. I haven't regretted it for a moment, and I have quite a few nice books I wouldn't otherwise have had.

On 5/26/2017 at 10:30 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

If you think of it like a missed date and wondering what it would've been like with the one that got away, it's a much easier choice.  (thumbsu

But using your framing the queation would be is it better to date a 9 or a pair of 7s?

Both scenarios have their advantages...

3 hours ago, AJD said:

Let me swim against the tide here. From an investment point of view, go with the highest grade you can.

But if you want nice things that make you smile when you look at them, two is better than one. I stopped buying medium to high graded stuff to drop back to (tightly graded) VG - Fine a couple of years back. I haven't regretted it for a moment, and I have quite a few nice books I wouldn't otherwise have had.

Most of my absolute keepers are 5.0 to 8.0........ I like them raw and to be able to handle them. As for SushiX, I'm not sure about his focus in that regard, so advice is difficult. Also this is difficult without knowing the book in question..... some books just really should be in higher grade.... like Weird Science 16, Torchy 5, and I'm sure we all have others. Some books in grade become almost surreal. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

But using your framing the queation would be is it better to date a 9 or a pair of 7s?

Both scenarios have their advantages...

If 9 is the goal, a pair of 7's won't get you there even dating the 7's at different times.  Now, if the collector dates them simultaneously, that's a whole different scenario.  Many collectors brag that they're up to this, but most would be lying. ;)

I used to have this book (definitely the better investment)

IMG_0143.jpg

With the money that awesome book brought (sitting in a slab) I can have all these:

A really nice 3.0-3.5 copy - presents better but detached cover  

IMG_3828.jpg

A solid 5.5 raw of my favorite Betty and Veronica cover  

IMG_7614.jpg

A 6.5 raw of a pretty sweet Fight

IMG_1298.jpg

And a pretty nice raw Schomburg

IMG_3376.jpg

I don't know if I have a conclusion of which one is better but this was my choice this time.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

32 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_0143.jpg

With the money that awesome book brought (sitting in a slab) I can have all these:

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

I don't know if I have a conclusion of which one is better but this was my choice this time.

Awesome books! Both choices are right with those ? BTW gotta choose veronica!!!

Edited by SushiX

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

I think if you're painfully on the fence, the answer - for you - is both.  If you can. 

I wish I could but financially it would be impossible. ???

8 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

GREAT books, I think you definitely made the right choice here!

On 5/28/2017 at 4:54 PM, SushiX said:

If I were to try for the high grade and the 2nd book.

Fascinating thread, and a lot of great perspectives. Obviously there's no single right answer, and depends on individual preference, budget, level of OCD, etc.

I guess the question at hand is whether you really just want the book, or really want the book in high grade? If the latter, then the decision is pretty clear. And if it's meant to be an "investment" book, then the decision is more clear. Or, if you're the type of person who knows you'll just start resenting that lower-grade book every time you see a higher-grade version, then again, go for the high grade book.

I'm more in the camp of two books is better than one, since I'm not so smitten by high grade (and can't afford it!), and prefer having more books I love looking at, and reading too, if I can only figure out how to deslab from the new holders...

A lot of it also comes down to scarcity.  If this high-grade book you have in mind comes around maybe once every few years, then as Janis says:

"Get it while you can, yeah!"

janis.jpg.e2dcbc6062714beccad30429fa73c573.jpg

39 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I'd way rather have a low/mid grade Action #1 and Detective #27 than just one of the 2 in higher grade.  

For high profile, iconic books this might seem like a sound primafacia argument as high grades are out of reach for most collectors.  When discussing Action #1 and 'Tec #27, low grades of limited eye appeal are going to span grades from .5 to 3.5 or thereabouts.  Given that scenario two 1.0 books over one 2.0 book makes sense.  OTOH, when you get into less iconic books, higher grades, and choosing between grail books, the best one may matter more. 2c

Edited by Cat-Man_America