• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone get sigs on top of blue-label slab?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone get sigs on top of blue-label slab?

Tried searching for this, but didn't find anything. Does anyone ever get signatures over-top of their universal blue-label slabs? (ie. on the plastic slab itself?) Main reasons I'm thinking about doing so:

- Already have a blue-label slab of the book (if books are raw, definitely makes sense to go yellow label from the start)

- Just for my personal collection to hang on wall

- Don't want to crack it to get yellow label and: 1) pay slabbing / shipping fees again; 2) risk potential downgrade (especially with my 9.8s); 3) deal with arranging for witnesses (even though this is generally painless most of the time); 4) pay a higher autograph fee (as many artists / creators charge a higher fee when getting graded)

- Allows me to get the signature personalized to me, which I like for my personal collection (and given it's for my PC, I know it's authentic)

- If for some reason I want to sell down the road, I still have the existing blue label, and can just "wipe away" the signature. I also like the energy / exchange with the creator when I ask to get it personalized - even though it's a wrong assumption on their part (as discussed on many threads here, including the Starlin thread and the C2E2 "no-window-bags" thread), they think you're a "real fan"

I guess this is more unique to my personal use case (signatures more just for my own PC, I really enjoy meeting the creators myself even though I really appreciate facilitators who help get books signed I couldn't otherwise).

Just curious if any one else does this?

No. I personally think it's a complete waste of money.

I remember having a guy come to the CGC booth with a blue label Walking Dead slab that had 15 or so cast member signatures on the case - he'd accidentally dropped the slab and needed it reholdered. Goodbye $1000+ spent on signature fees.

32 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

No. I personally think it's a complete waste of money.

I remember having a guy come to the CGC booth with a blue label Walking Dead slab that had 15 or so cast member signatures on the case - he'd accidentally dropped the slab and needed it reholdered. Goodbye $1000+ spent on signature fees.

That's a good point... if you ever need to get it reholdered, you're SOL. Didn't think about that, though that being said, I think that was probably a unique case where someone's handling it continuously getting it signed by many cast members. In my use case, it's more for 1-2 sigs (so wouldn't be handling that much), and again only for books I already have blue-label slabs of.

I know this isn't applicable to many people's SS use cases, but just occurred to me as I think about attending cons where price for witnessed sigs is considerably more than unwitnessed, and I already books slabbed blue label. If that trend continues (and if "backlash" against SS from creators a la Starlin continues), I could see myself considering getting certain slabs signed in more situations. Of course, there'll always be a place for yellow label in my collection (ie. especially for my high-grade raw books getting signed, to me it's a no-brainer).