• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best time to sell -- before or after movie release?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2017 at 11:12 PM, SquareChaos said:

Considering the question at hand, if you could perform the experiment again after Cable actually appeared in a movie, I think that'd be interesting. Obviously you can't, but maybe whomever purchased it might have a similar idea.

Exactly what I was thinking. When Cable is actually on screen as a character, that page will go up in price. Not sure by how much, but there will be more interest in it. 

On 5/31/2017 at 3:28 AM, Flambit said:

I agree that it does seem like there is probably no real new blood entering the hobby though seeing a movie or television show based on certain characters, making them hot.  As someone pointed out somewhere, why would a person introduced to these characters though film or tv buy OA, of all things, which is such a niche hobby?  Especially since it's so nostalgia driven for a lot of us.

But is it possible there's this huge fresh to market aspect that is creating, maybe, a false positive uptick?  I mean prices are getting driven up because new pieces are being pulled out of collections though the promise of higher sales from movie/tv visibility that have been unseen by the general collecting public.

(I count myself among the general public: that is, I'm not part of any inner OA circles, and the only OA I see for sale is at the quarterly auctions and SDCC, maybe caf now and then, maybe the list now and then.  And I'm really only ever aware of new, big pieces emerging into our public collecting consciousness though the Most Comment page on caf, which I check almost daily.)

But prior to the Infinity War rumors, I never remember seeing so many Starlin pages for sale!  Now, maybe they were and I just wasn't aware.  Nor do I remember seeing so many IM 55 pages show up.  It seems like there's one or more every quarter now.  And now that they are so visible, is it driving people into a frenzy to be a must-own page?  

I'd never seen that Drax IM 55 splash before, for example, although I'm sure some of you probably have, so perhaps other general collectors who have deep pockets are going to impulse buy?  Golden age of Marvel Studios + certain unseen pieces + $?

And then add to that fresh to market pieces from black holes that most everyone hasn't seen?  $$$?

I have a theory. I am seeing OA prices across the board, kind of going up just in the last year. My theory is that a lot of older comic book collectors who are in their prime earning years are discovering Original Art and moving into collecting that. Why? The rise of the convention scene. The pop culture convention scene has exploded over the past several years, and comic book creators, particularly artists, have become minor pop stars at these things. Every convention has an artists alley. And if you are there with your kids to look for comics to fill holes in your collection, and you find out that Lee Weeks, or Howard Chaykin, or someone else you like is there and they are selling art, maybe you pick up a piece or two.

Also, the rise of the internet makes buying and selling OA easier than ever. Before, one of the ONLY ways to get it was to go to a convention and buy it from the artists. Or, if your local comic shop had a few pages, you could buy it there. Hell, I bet some folks got into OA just from doing searches for comic books on eBay and saw a few OA pages pop up.

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If you have any 80's Micronauts (Golden or Guice) pages you are interested in parting with, let me know.

Heh.  My post may have been a little vague.

Y'see, I was playfully trolling for boardies to consider selling their Micronauts... to me

:jaws:

So, if you have any Micronauts pages you are interested in parting with, please let me know. :baiting:

In fact, I especially appreciate hearing about Micronauts pages people aren't interested in parting with.

Edited by thethedew
Underline

If I may finally chime in here... I acquired a few Wonder Woman sketches and sold them 8 months before the film's release at the prices I was asking for and relatively quickly too. That hardly ever happens on eBay! Was that because of the movie? Maybe. I wish I could survey the buyers. But if anything, there's a market for good Wonder Woman art, and movie or not, the demand is there.

I'm glad I decided to sell before the movie because as I predicted there was an uptick of Wonder Woman art on the market, which meant more competition. Hardly anything surfaced eight months prior.

That Eduardo Barretto cover is an interesting sale. I think it's a fun cover and as mentioned previously, Barretto is experiencing a positive reappraisal much like Norm Breyfogle. Barretto worked on many popular properties and if you're priced out good copper age Batman, for example, Barretto is definitely a good value right now. To me, I think the unexpected price was the result of an available Wonder Woman cover, period. I could be wrong, but I never see WW covers pop up.

Does a screen presence increase the value of all art? Not all of it. I'm sincerely asking here: Did the CW shows for ARROW, SUPERGIRL, and LEGENDS OF TOMORROW increase the demand or the price of Green Arrow art, etc.? To me it hasn't, but I'm opened to be corrected. I will say that a Firestorm cover popped up on Will Gabri-El's site and it sold pretty quickly. To me, properties like Wonder Woman already have a built-in market; collectors are going to buy WW no matter what, and the better the image, the artist, the older and harder-to-find the art is, the more it's going to cost someone. 2c

15 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have a theory. I am seeing OA prices across the board, kind of going up just in the last year. My theory is that a lot of older comic book collectors who are in their prime earning years are discovering Original Art and moving into collecting that. Why? The rise of the convention scene.

Also, the rise of the internet makes buying and selling OA easier than ever.

Call me crazy, but I feel like these jumps happened in the mid 90s with the introduction of internet to most homes, then another around 2000ish, and again around 2006 or 2007 when prices really started to climb into the stratosphere. I don't have hard data to back that up, just casual observations and an admittedly flawed memory.

Edited by ESeffinga
typo fix

If I remember correctly, Watchmen original art really skyrocketed when the movie was announced and then dropped considerably after the movie came out and a lot of collectors who bought high, had to sell low and take a pretty hard hit.

But, that was then and this is now and I believe a lot of people learned valuable lessons from that situation, which makes me think the Wonder Woman cover was either fueled by two people who really have a nostalgic feel for that cover or by a couple new collectors who were wanting a piece of art that they believed would get hotter because of the popular WW movie.

I'm a Barreto fan and have owned some nice Barreto art, but I would think $5200 is on the high end of his art sales, so maybe it is the movie hype that's caused this sale to go so high. Congrats to the seller, that's for sure. I can remember several years ago when Barreto sold a lot of his covers to one collector and some of the better covers were put up on art dealers' sites and sat there for years without anyone buying them.