• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

Fantastic book!

I've also been collecting the Super family titles, but only for two decades... and seriously for probably only one.

I have about a dozen more 12 centers to go, and I'll have all of Superman and Action done from #150 and #283 on up, respectively.  I keep getting distracted by deals on some 10 centers, however.

That's the blessing and the curse with the Superman titles...There is always more books out there, but then there are a hell of a lot of books to collect.  

Congrats again on the accomplishment.

• Superboy #2. This is my second copy of this book. My first copy was one I would grade as a fine. My brother traded it to me for a Teen Titans 4 that was a raw NM. He had it graded and it came back as a 9.6. He sold it for a good amount at the time. I later discovered the Superboy he traded me had a amateur tear seal on it. I sold it and bought this copy from Heritage (quite awhile ago now). Not a fabulous cover, but it's got a cool SOTI story in it.

IMG_0239.JPG

Edited by Silver

Superboy 3. I bought this copy from a board member. While there is a chip out of the cover, it's placement made it something I can live with as the book has incredible page quality and eye appeal. Not the easiest book to find in decent shape. Even though its lower graded than my other early issues, I don't think I would bother upgrading it.

IMG_0240.JPG

Superboy 4  has a pretty cool cover plus a kind of offbeat non Superboy story in it. You didn't see that very much. I forget the details of how I acquired this book but I remember getting it raw from someone, probably on eBay, after asking "do you have any  early issues of Superboy for sale?" I recall getting it at a really decent price and being mildly surprised at the grade. I had thisnslabbed for my registry set. The whole contest thing is kind of cool too.

IMG_0241.JPG

1 hour ago, Silver said:

Superboy 4  has a pretty cool cover plus a kind of offbeat non Superboy story in it. You didn't see that very much. I forget the details of how I acquired this book but I remember getting it raw from someone, probably on eBay, after asking "do you have any  early issues of Superboy for sale?" I recall getting it at a really decent price and being mildly surprised at the grade. I had thisnslabbed for my registry set. The whole contest thing is kind of cool too.

IMG_0241.JPG

I've got more collectible items on ebay by simply asking "got any other...?"

First number 4 I've seen.

20 hours ago, Silver said:

Superboy - Complete!

I have collected the silverage Superman titles for over three decades. The first set I competed was Jimmy Olsen. I then completed Lois Lane. I went on to compete Action 250-414, Adventure 260-380. I still have a few Worlds Finest to hit my goal of 85-225 and a small handful of bronze issues of Superman to compete 100-300. Lastly, for years now I only needed Superboy 1 to complete 1-258. 

As of last weeks Heritage auction, that quest is over. I posted this is the GA forum, but I mostly post here and collect SA, so I thought I would share this here as well. I think over the next week or so I may try to post the entire run. Here is the Superboy 1:

IMG_0237.JPG

That is one HELLUVA way to complete a title - WOW...:acclaim:

Edited by burntboy

Next up, Superboy 5. This is the Williamsport collection copy. I spoke with Jack a number of times about different books from the collection, this was one I really wanted an am glad to have it. They tried to have it graded, but it wouldn't fit in a CGC holder due to a very slight spine roll. This probably helped keep the price down. I bought the book and brought it to Matt Nelson who did a great job with a press and then it was slabbed. This is or was the census highest copy, showing that this is a lesser seen book than number 1 or 2. I love the Supergirl cover (first time ever) plus the dark blue colors. This is really a awesome book.

IMG_0242.JPG

Edited by Silver

4 hours ago, Silver said:

Next up, Superboy 5. This is the Williamsport collection copy. I spoke with Jack a number of times about different books from the collection, this was one I really wanted an am glad to have it. They tried to have it graded, but it wouldn't fit in a CGC holder due to a very slight spine roll. This probably helped keep the price down. I bought the book and brought it to Matt Nelson who did a great job with a press and then it was slabbed. This is or was the census highest copy, showing that this is a lesser seen book than number 1 or 2. I love the Supergirl cover (first time ever) plus the dark blue colors. This is really a awesome book.

IMG_0242.JPG

Superboy #5 is getting hot ! and it's one of my favorite covers too...

Superboy 6. Back when I started going after this whole run in earnest, I looked up covers in the Gerber books to familiarize myself with the earliest issues. This became one of my favorites. First of all it's red and there wouldn't be another red cover until #35. Additionally I like how the girls were wearing clothes indicative of the times. If I recall correctly, there were only two issues that ranked a 6 in the Gerber guides, 6 and 12. Lastly, this issue introduced Superboy's first recurring villain, Humpty Dumpty the Hobby Robber! Not thinking that his first appearance will go up much on any movie speculation. lol

IMG_0243.JPG

Edited by Silver