• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

It's a great idea to post your run in one thread.  I, for one, am seeing books that I've never seen before, and am especially looking forward to the ultra-tough era of issues from the mid-1950s.  :golfclap:

Edited by namisgr

21 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It's a great idea to post your run in one thread.  I, for one, am seeing books that I've never seen before, and am especially looking forward to the ultra-tough era of issues from the mid-1950s.  :golfclap:

I'm noticing interest in Superboy in our area and have watched several boardies quietly snagging them on the boards.... they're cool books with stories that are often fairly clever..... and don't break the bank, outside of a handful of keys. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Superboy #7. Remember that contest back in issue number ? Well here are the lucky winners. They were drawn into a story with Superboy. I think I got this copy on Comiclink some time ago. I remember getting it and thinking how much better it looked in person than as a scan; super nice pages too. Another yellow cover; if you see these in lower grade, they tend to look pretty drab, but this one just pops. Humpty Dumpty, after recovering from whatever Superboy did to him in the last issue moves over to the cover for his second appearance. 

sb7cgc.jpg

Edited by Silver

19 hours ago, Silver said:

Superboy #7. Remember that contest back in issue number ? Well here are the lucky winners. They were drawn into a story with Superboy. I think I got this copy on Comiclink some time ago. I remember getting it and thinking how much better it looked in person than as a scan; super nice pages too. Another yellow cover; if you see these in lower grade, they tend to look pretty drab, but this one just pops. Humpty Dumpty, after recovering from whatever Superboy did to him in the last issue moves over to the cover for his second appearance. 

sb7cgc.jpg

Bright yellow looks gem mint !!

and lol Humpty Dumpty doesn't seem like much of a formidable threat in name or appearance lol !!

Next up, Superboy 8. I would say from experience that this is a really tough book to get, in any grade. When I was finishing up my run of 2-up I had to settle for a CGC 3.5 copy just to have one. This issue has the first appearance of Superbaby. If you have never read Superboy before, stories of him as a baby became almost a staple. I eventually found an upgrade to my 3.5, this is a really good looking copy I was pretty happy to have found on eBay. The best copy I have ever seen is owned by fellow board member Steecity, who has an 8.5.

IMG_0245.JPG

9 hours ago, Silver said:

Next up, Superboy 8. I would say from experience that this is a really tough book to get, in any grade. When I was finishing up my run of 2-up I had to settle for a CGC 3.5 copy just to have one. This issue has the first appearance of Superbaby. If you have never read Superboy before, stories of him as a baby became almost a staple. I eventually found an upgrade to my 3.5, this is a really good looking copy I was pretty happy to have found on eBay. The best copy I have ever seen is owned by fellow board member Steecity, who has an 8.5.

IMG_0245.JPG

Neat! Superboy

is heating up the pie with his X-ray vision

Superboy 9. Not really a issue with anything special going for it. The colors of the ships are kind of cool. Humpty Dumpty's last (thank goodness) cover appearance, although he does appear in a story two issues later. I got this nice copy from Terry of Terry's comics at a San Diego Comic-Con.

sb9.jpg

Let's finish off the first 10. Superboy 10, a mini key or sorts, one I really wanted when I was filling out this part of the run. First appearance of Lana Lang. It's kind of interesting to watch Lana's early appearance as they didn't really settle on a look for her for a few issues or more.  Another yellow cover. There were issues of Superboy for almost the first twenty issues that just had fun whimsical scenes that were unrelated to any interior story. If I have it right, number 18 is the last one of those. 

Another note about Lana, she is arguably the most popular, prevalent character introduced in this series. She became a staple from this point until the New Adventures of Superboy was cancelled in the 1980's. 

This is another Williamsport copy, but I got it from Heritage:

sb10cgc.jpg

I'm going to move right into #11 so you can see the much less seen issue that has Lana's first cover appearance. She looks like an adult to me. I got this nice copy from Metropolis at a San Diego Comic Con. I find that the 10 is out there and is not a difficult book to find, this issue is less common:

sb11cgc.jpg

Take a look at Lana some years later when Curt Swan was drawing her, this is her as most silver age readers knew her:

adv261.jpg

15 and 16, last two 52 pagers. For me personally these represent the golden age. I love the heft of these books. The 15 I got at SDCC many years ago from Jamie Graham. Funny little story about 20 years ago I was talking to another collector at SDCC and asked what he was looking for. He told me he wanted to find a Superboy 15 because that would complete his set. I thought that was very cool, I was a long way off then and didn't have any early issues at all. I slowly started picking up low numbers and a few years later picked up this 15. I wonder if that collector ever found his?

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

Supboy 17. My original copy was a raw that graded 5.5, but it just didn't really have the eye apparat I wanted. I got this modest upgrade not long ago. Interesting fact, the cover story of this issues was redrawn (not reprinted) in Superboy 113.

IMG_0254.JPG

Superboy 19. The original "Death of" issue. Love the colors of this book. Pretty sure I got this from Mark Wilson. It was originally selling for a pretty high price but I picked it up at auction for a little less. 

IMG_0048.JPG

Superboy 20. Another pretty cool cover. Very early Jor-El appearance. Got this copy from Harley raw and thought it had a shot at 9.0/2 but it has a pinhole in the back cover. I over paid for the grade, but it is a sweet looking copy.

IMG_0257.JPG

The Superboy 21-26 are some of the very toughest issues to find in the run, especially over a g/vg grade. I have upgraded a couple of these from low grade issues used as fillers and would upgrade further if I ever see any of these., but that don't pop up that often.

Superboy 21. Lana as a blonde? DC is still playing around with her looks a little. Sorry for the pun but this is a "super" tough book to find. I really like this cover, it just pops with those greens, would love tomseemanhigh grade copy.

IMG_0258.JPG