• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2017 at 4:42 AM, Silver said:

Superboy 24. Same story, not a copy you see often.

IMG_0261.JPG

I always like the goofy SA DCs where heroes would get fat, turn into toddlers, get huge heads, or otherwise mutate into something embarrassing, and have wondered if this was the earliest example of one of these stories.

A board member here just recently showed me his crazy high grade copy of SB 34, here is my more modest copy. Like other issues in the 30's it's a middle of the road copy. I found this on at SDCC. If I only held out for high grade issues I would be missing a lot of issues and be broke or single. 

sb34.jpg

I really like this issue for a coupe of reasons, one is that other than #6, there were just these two red covers in all of the early issues. Can you just imagine how awesome a high grade one would look? The other reason is that there is a really cool full page ad for Jimmy Olsen #1 inside. Only a coupe of pre-code issues left:

sb35.jpg

Another one of those "look what our super son can do" covers. I got this copy at a weird one off comic con in Las Vegas that had some great dealers attendance but poor buyer attendance. Comic Cons in Vegas haven't done well until Amazing Comic Cons came around, their show is in its 4th or 5th year:

IMG_0288.JPG

8 hours ago, Silver said:

Now a question for all you silver age scholars out there, are we in the silver age yet, or still in that twilight zone between gold, atomic and silver? Hmm....

I find myself in the minority on these boards over the beginning of the silver age but all i know is that eBay counts the silver age as beginning in 1956 ... that being Superboy #46 and above

if i were to look for Superboy #43 in the silver age on eBay i am likely to miss one........ Just saying

There were not many cover with Superman on it and this is the first one since issue 1. I always liked this cover. Of course the story is from a dream sequence. I bought this issue from an ad in the old Comic Buyers Guide. Sight unseen! Can you imagine?

IMG_0294.JPG