• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got Stan Lee's Autograph at Megacon Orlando- a few observations

78 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

There will never be a shortage of Stan Lee signatures out there.  If you plan on selling a signed item (especially comic) and are trying to command a premium on your asking price for said signed book, that is a fools errand in my humble opinion.   Supply has definitely outpaced demand.

It probably won't add much, if any monetary value (well maybe when he dies).

I have a few Stan signed books, and for me, it's more of a sentimental thing - having ASMs signed by the creator.

47 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

It probably won't add much, if any monetary value (well maybe when he dies).

I have a few Stan signed books, and for me, it's more of a sentimental thing - having ASMs signed by the creator.

As it should be.  But I wonder if we are in the minority or majority.  Hard to tell when you go to these shows and see what people are pulling out to have signed. 

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

There will never be a shortage of Stan Lee signatures out there.  If you plan on selling a signed item (especially comic) and are trying to command a premium on your asking price for said signed book, that is a fools errand in my humble opinion.   Supply has definitely outpaced demand.

You are absolutely right, the trick is to get something special signed.  I'm a fan of the Milestone Editions in that they are reprints of books he actually worked on and are plentiful in high grade.  The covers that he actually appears on are a good bet too.  I think people that are having him sign random Deadpool, Wolverine, Gwenpool, and any other flavor of the month will be sorely disappointed.  Of course, at this point everybody may be disappointed.  

14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Honestly the demand isn't what the majority of the people in line want his autograph for. They are paying the $100 plus fee in hopes that they can get up there say hi, shake his hand, and ask him a question with him directly in front of them. The autograph is the consolation prize of what a lot of these fans are really looking for. Now with 80 percent of the celebrities and comic talents you can get this service with your autograph fee, but the other 20 percent nope they have too long of lines and you are told to say hi, hand the item over, show where you want the item signed, and your name for personalization if wanted that is it.

I was in a line with a few boardies and a special needs kid in line behind us. This kid was talking about how he was going to ask Stan all these questions and that is why he paid the fee for his autograph to meet him up close. One boardie tried to explain to the kid Stan Lee is def and won't here you from that distance. I tried to explain to him the process with a Stan Lee and that he won't be able to do anything except say hi, show placement, and his name if he wanted it personalized. I was up front with the kid in case he wanted a refund before the signature went on his poster, the kid said no I have never seen a line do that before it's gotta be more than that.

He came up to me afterwards and said you were right. I'm glad at got that close to Stan, but at $100 bucks I'm not sure the less than 5 seconds was worth it. Then asked if he can friend me on Facebook.

Edited by reddwarf666222
used wrong word

2 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Honestly the demand isn't what the majority of the people in line want his autograph for. They are paying the $100 plus fee in hopes that they can get up there say hi, shake his hand, and ask him a question with him directly in front of them. The autograph is the consolation prize of what a lot of these fans are really looking for

Yes and no.   Why do many people need a 'witness' from CGC before it gets entombed, or why are they given the option to purchase a hologram (on top of the $120 autograph fee?!?!)  to prove Stan Lee signed their item.  Aftermarket.  

4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Not when he has over a thousand autographs out there listed on Ebay right now you can buy.

Yes that is very fair but I would say that the majority of books he signed he had nothing to do with - it's those signed books that make no sense to me.

Signing ASM or FF books that he WROTE makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Jordysnordy

19 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

If there is such a case of senior citizen abuse, these greedy handlers should be convicted of it! 

4 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Yes that is very fair but I would say that the majority of books he signed he had nothing to do with - it's those signed books that make no sense to me.

Signing ASM or FF books that he WROTE makes perfect sense to me.

Oh I agree and especially on those books he has came out and said he hates those characters like Venom and Carnage.

1 hour ago, jbeez909 said:

If there is such a case of senior citizen abuse, these greedy handlers should be convicted of it! 

I am deeply concerned about this but don't know where to start with a lack of solid evidence, address, or even full names.  

21 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

I am deeply concerned about this but don't know where to start with a lack of solid evidence, address, or even full names.  

Adult Protective Services has already been called out to his mansion in Santa Barbara. All is well.

1 hour ago, MedicAR said:

Well he is a guy who doesn't like to disappoint fans. I believe it is his fans that drive him to continue living on. Now from multiple people I hear he is almost def, falls asleep while signing now (sometimes in the middle of an autograph, and more. As long as Stan Lee is ok with this continuing himself and the doctor's continue to sign off on his travel then I am ok. If he is being taken advantage of and bullied into continuing then I am not ok. 

On 5/28/2017 at 3:29 PM, somewhereintexas said:

Huge difference between not having to mix in with the regular line and causing the regular line not to move at all.  Of course a VIP is entitled to a separate line that feeds in to the front of the table.  But it's not slighting VIPs to have a system that gives VIPs uber priority and yet allows the line with the peons to not have to wait for every single VIP to get their items signed (some of them multiple times) before a single peon gets anything signed.  Kind of like the fast pass system at theme parks.  Patrons with a fast pass don't have to wait nearly as long as everyone else, but the world doesn't stop for them.

Yeah but not the fault of the VIP pass holders.  Blame the poor management by the cons.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:00 PM, Drbearsec said:

Yeah but not the fault of the VIP pass holders.  Blame the poor management by the cons.

Definitely, and that is kind of my point.  Poorly run.   Stan is on a treadmill, they should just cap the tickets sold, and had a numbering system.  I think they just said 'Stan you will be signing as much as you can in the allotted X hours', as the VIP's filtered in, and peons stood in place for essentially 4 hours.   Again, by the time I got out of line, I just wanted to go home.  Left money in my wallet and not with a dealer.   This is all 20/20.  Evidently he is done.  If he comes back next year, I am not going.   FINITO! 

On 5/28/2017 at 10:20 AM, somewhereintexas said:

You are being a more than a little douchey.  Even if you're a VIP, you still have stand in line with other VIPs.  So you're always going to be standing in a line.  Even if you walk up in the middle of a signing you don't go straight to whoever is signing.  You have to queue up with whoever is already at the table.  So would it be so bad if you had to wait a few extra minutes because they let a handful of people go through who had been in line for hours?  Seriously.  The sense of entitlement these days. :screwy:

Agreed. You get what you pay for.