• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's a Cap 1 ppp these days ?

114 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

They don't have the books in hand for exchange sales usually.   Someone makes the offer the seller accepts then they have to actually send the book to comiclink who then sends it to the buyer.  

What would the recourse be if someone is stricken with seller's remorse and just didn't send the book ?  Maybe comiclink just cancels their account and doesn't take books on the exchange from them anymore...

-J.

I would think this would be the likely result if the seller refuses to honor the sale.  Otoh, sometimes when a book appears and disappears quickly from the exchange it means that it was a sale arranged by CLink rather than a seller just listing a book.  Would seem odd in this case, though, because if CLink was arranging the sale, it would appear to have been in their best interest to wise up the seller so as to increase their commission.  hm

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I would think this would be the likely result if the seller refuses to honor the sale.  Otoh, sometimes when a book appears and disappears quickly from the exchange it means that it was a sale arranged by CLink rather than a seller just listing a book.  Would seem odd in this case, though, because if CLink was arranging the sale, it would appear to have been in their best interest to wise up the seller so as to increase their commission.  hm

Anyone can list their book up for sale for whatever buy it now price they want. at any time.  Might've been too late for CL to advise the seller on its market value?  It sold in a flash I would assume.  Unless of course CL bought the book, then that might be a different story.

Just now, Dark Knight said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Anyone can list their book up for sale for whatever buy it now price they want. at any time.  Might've been too late for CL to advise the seller on its market value?  It sold in a flash I would assume.  Unless of course CL bought the book, then that might be a different story.

I know that, but in the post (see the highlighted sentence), I was referring to the fact that sometimes CLink arranges a sale, meaning that they connect the buyer and seller before the book is actually listed on the exchange. Once the deal is struck, the book appears on the exchange but is already claimed by the buyer. If that is what happened, it would have been odd that CLink wouldn't have suggested a higher price to the buyer.  

So, maybe it was just a seller listing a book below market and then reneging on the deal.  Tough to know unless someone spills the beans,

My guess is seller listed the book, buyer (that immediately saw the deal of the year) took it in an instant. I have seen almost instanst BINs on big books before. Listing was probably live for only 10-15 min or so. Buyer paid and asked ComicLink to remove asap the pending sale. The pending sale was on Thu, today is Sat. ComicLink obliged.

If I were to list say an AF15 9.0 at 150K, ComicLink would have no control of that but rest assured sale would happen in minutes.

Edited by Gotham Kid

22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

My guess is seller listed the book, buyer (that immediately saw the deal of the year) took it in an instant. I have seen almost instanst BINs on big books before. Listing was probably live for only 10-15 min or so. Buyer paid and asked ComicLink to remove asap the pending sale. The pending sale was on Thu, today is Sat. ComicLink obliged.

If I were to list say an AF15 9.0 at 150K, ComicLink would have no control of that but rest assured sale would happen in minutes.

This still seems less likely to me than the seller just pulling the plug, for the simple reason that Comiclink hasn't even had a chance to get the book from the seller yet, let alone the buyer from Comiclink. There just wasn't enough time for that sale to have consummated (and that's assuming the listing was pulled today, we just noticed it today, it may have been poofed Friday). 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

10 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

As I said before, unless ComicLink steps up all else is postulation.

Indeed.  

I have asked comiclink to take down "pending" listings myself in the last but they only did it on auction listings where they do have the book in hand already, and after my money cleared.  

The only other time I could see them pulling it that fast  (literally, like a day) on the exchange is if the seller contacted them and said "Yeah, I accepted an offer, but you know what, sorry, I've changed my mind".  They don't take down pending listings before, at least, they have the book in hand, and they did not have that book in hand.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

18 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Well then I guess we have our answer

Nope.  Comiclink wouldn't have taken it down that fast.  No chance.  Only way that happens (unless they be changed their policy in the last 3 months since I bought something from the exchange)  is the seller bailed on the deal.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Or what if the buyer wanted it down in a hurry? Can't he/she request it after making the purchase? And it wasn't like the sale got taken down right away after it sold.  It was up for a few days.

Edited by Dark Knight

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

Or what if the buyer wanted it down in a hurry? Can't he/she request it after making the purchase?

No.  See my post above.  If it was an auction and comiclink had the book in hand yes they will do that if the buyer has paid.   But this was an exchange sale.  The seller can "accept" an offer and then never send the book to comiclink.  

Which is what I suspect happened here.  

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

No.  See my post above.  If it was an auction and comiclink had the book in hand yes they will do that if the buyer has paid.   But this was an exchange sale.  The seller can "accept" an offer and then never send the book to comiclink.  

Which is what I suspect happened here.  

-J.

Yes that is also a possibility also. If the purchase price was set at $150k, why accept a lower offer and not go through  with the transaction? Just doesn't make sense... Unless it's a bogus seller who doesn't even have the book and just wants to mess around or something.  Unless someone actually asks about it, we will never know.

9 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yes that is also a possibility also. If the purchase price was set at $150k, why accept a lower offer and not go through  with the transaction? Just doesn't make sense... Unless it's a bogus seller who doesn't even have the book and just wants to mess around or something.  Unless someone actually asks about it, we will never know.

I don't know if comiclink would even say.  But that 0.5 copy from a couple of months ago is still up. I'm not even looking at what the possible seller did. I'm looking at what comiclink did based on my experiences with their company policy.  They would not take down a "pending listing", even at the request of the buyer, unless the deal actually closed, or the seller backed out, or yes, maybe it was just a bogus listing to begin with. And since there's no way the sale closed that fast that leaves only the other two possibilities.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Josh is no dummy.  If the book was listed at 150k, he very well may have bought it himself, thus the 10% discount, and plan to resell it.  

He may also have chosen to remove the listing as it wouldn't reflect well on his business.  

There are many reasons for this listing to have disappeared so quickly. 

2 minutes ago, buttock said:

Josh is no dummy.  If the book was listed at 150k, he very well may have bought it himself, thus the 10% discount, and plan to resell it.  

He may also have chosen to remove the listing as it wouldn't reflect well on his business.  

as I have explained before.

27 minutes ago, buttock said:

This would be my guess

1 hour ago, buttock said:

Still doesn't mean the seller actually sent the book out and followed through with the transaction.

And the prospective seller certainly could not have received a cleared money wire, and then sent the book out to Josh, and then received and QC'd by Josh in the time frame that the listing appeared as "pending" and was then poofed (literally, barely one business day).  There aren't "many reasons" why the listing disappeared so quickly.  There are, in fact, just three- the sale went through, the sale fell through, (and the least plausible one) "Josh thought it would reflect badly on his business".  Two of the three assume the sale went through.  But in the time that elapsed, that is not possible.  Which leaves the most likely reason being that the sale fell though (for whatever reason, be it seller's remorse, bogus listing, etc.). 

Just following the obvious logic here.  Maybe the seller is the one who ended up not being the dummy (assuming the listing was even legit to begin with).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I saw the listing less than 5 minutes after it was posted. The price was 135. I know someone, not me, that hit the BIN about a minute later and was told they were 3rd in line. I do not believe it was ever 150. If someone other than Josh bought it, they did so by hitting the BIN in what was likely 4 minutes or less of being listed. 

I watched the listing unfold and given how quickly it appeared and was then sold, as I said to the person who was 3rd in line, the reality is that this listing was a mirage. 

Edited by dem1138

I had a Cap #1 back in 87 bought it from Fantazia Comics for $800 in VG condition. Had it restored to a VF/NM by a well know restorer at the time I was 18 years old..I wish I still had it now.