• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you find was your hardest run / set to complete?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

What did you find was your hardest run / set to complete?

Inspired by @Ghostzapper 's amazing achievement here. (well done again GZ):

I was reminded of how difficult it can be to put together a run or set of 'hard to find' comics. During the Completist/Completionist/Nutter years, I had trouble with various lines. Here's a few that gave me (hugely enjoyable) grief:

Australian Price Variants

Trying to put together a run of AUS price variants is so hard! Not only do we not really know what exists, but finding any that haven't been used to wipe a dingos backside is, as the French would say, tres difficile. Try it my friends, try it! :headbang:

Marvel Newsstand Price Variants

Jeptha Jude of Israel, these are hard to locate! Especially when, like me, you have the eyes of Mr Magoo. Image result for mr magoo images Online barcode squinting is not a pastime I would normally recommend! But try it anyway! :headbang: :headbang:

Mark Jewelers Inserts

For 800 years I tried to get the full ASM set (alongside training Jedi). If ASM #124 has an MJI, it must reside in Australia (see above)! Foolishly, I sold the lot. I could start again I suppose.... hm

So, over to you guys. What was your hardest run / set to get?

:headbang:

I've been trying for years to complete my Strange Tales run,1-168.Have #80- 168 filled no problem,issue #1 and about fifty others,but sheesh,some of these are TOUGH!

TTA 1-101(no 27-too pricey) was a breeze compared to ST.

And i'm not going for pencers...

29 minutes ago, skrank said:

So far the only copy I've put towards this 4-part series in Canadian newsstand.  They are tough!

IMG_0026.JPG

The more obscure titles are tough in Canadian prices, for sure. Good luck with the search  (you've got me looking now!) (thumbsu

19 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I've been trying for years to complete my Strange Tales run,1-168.Have #80- 168 filled no problem,issue #1 and about fifty others,but sheesh,some of these are TOUGH!

TTA 1-101(no 27-too pricey) was a breeze compared to ST.

And i'm not going for pencers...

Don't dis da pencers bro! 

Which ones ya missin Jim? They don't call me 'I The Locator' for nuffink ?

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

A run that I have completed:

For me it has to be Planet Comics.

Yowser! 

How long did it take? Couple of weeks? :whistle:

Just now, Marwood & I said:

Yowser! 

How long did it take? Couple of weeks? :whistle:

a few years.

I was trying to get 5.0+ for condition. After searching for a couple of years I realized that some of the books were near impossible to locate in that grade or better so I finally bought copies that I could accept. Issue 15 was the hardest, I did not want brittle pages, and all the copies that were available had brittle pages. Eventually I bought this copy as it presented well and it had off-white pages:

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

7 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Don't dis da pencers bro! 

Which ones ya missin Jim? They don't call me 'I The Locator' for nuffink ?

Oh,I love the pencers..just not actively seeking them.

Many of what i'm missing are just too darn expensive now...ridiculous.#60 is the one I really want. @adamstrange has the nicest copy i've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

a few years.

I was trying to get 5.0+ for condition. After searching for a couple of years I realized that some of the books were near impossible to locate in that grade or better so I finally bought copies that I could accept. Issue 15 was the hardest, I did not want brittle pages, and all the copies that were available had brittle pages. Eventually I bought this copy as it presented well and it had off-white pages:

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

Nice! I suppose you can't be too choosy on grades when the books are this old and scarce.  Congratulations on getting them all (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Many of what i'm missing are just too darn expensive now...ridiculous.#60 is the one I really want. @adamstrange has the nicest copy i've ever seen.

It's a shame everything is so expensive isn't it. If you're in it for love, the big bucks are a drag. Hope @adamstrange reads this soon and shows us his copy. His copy, I said ?

41 minutes ago, skrank said:

So far the only copy I've put towards this 4-part series in Canadian newsstand.  They are tough!

IMG_0026.JPG

I have a 1-4 set, it might include Canadians as they were purchased here in Canada I will check for you.

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

I don't have a 60 (shrug)

34 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I was sure you did...it must be a cover that looks similar?Sorry for my mistake.

111.jpg

Nice. I'll put that on the London fair list jim 

When I completed my AF15, ASM 1-700 I thought I was done with completing full runs.

Now I've been trying to complete full runs of high grade Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella. I am finding it quite the challenge on some books.