• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phil Jimenez

14 posts in this topic

I asked him why and he replied to my tweet. Just said that he hates it and won't do it anymore. Not the end of the world, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if I don't understand it. You can see the tweets I think, I am @doctorstarman 

I got a bunch of Hughes books signed in February at Dallas Comic Show. Phil was there too so I got a lot of WW books signed by him too. Here are some of them. Mine were window bagged all along the sides/top/bottom so you can see he signed right above the bottom of the window bag at the bottom. Didn't seem to be a problem. He did it in the same place on all the ones he signed. I think I got him to sign about 6-8 books. He does have a rather lengthy signature so I could see making small spaces an issue.

Obviously, he can do what he wants and I wonder if it would make a difference if he were signing more books where he made the cover? Im sure he does many where he did the cover art, but I bet majority is for his writing/interior work. I don't know.

IMG_9069.JPG

I just dont get it. I mean I see both sides of it. His twitter feed seems to definitely have some uneducated "fans" that probably were on Marvel's side with the window bagging issue as well. I'm sorry though, I got Stan's signature this weekend at MegaCon. I had my Amazing #252 from about Spidey's waist down open, more than ample space, Stan gave me a blob signature in the corner rather than using all the space allotted in the window. I feel like I got a bit had in that case. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez also signed a book of mine that I had almost the entire cover available for (Scott Snyder also signed this book) and he remarked about the "blue tape" under his breath. All of these artist/writers took my money no problem though. If I try and keep the integrity of my book secure after learning the hard way on my first Signature Series submission (did not window bag, artist signed, then flipped through my book and told a story about how the specific portion came to be that he contributed on) that I feel have the window helps at the very least to make that clear and safe, what is the problem? 

2crantrantover. 

Listen, it's not a problem for me (other than those teeny tiny widows).  I don't think it's a problem for most of my fellow professionals to sign a windowed comic either, particularly those of us that charge a fee.  I think it just bugs a few guys who get into a signing rhythm and have to be more careful with odd placement or small windows.  Don't sweat it.

Scott Williams

14 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Listen, it's not a problem for me (other than those teeny tiny widows).  I don't think it's a problem for most of my fellow professionals to sign a windowed comic either, particularly those of us that charge a fee.  I think it just bugs a few guys who get into a signing rhythm and have to be more careful with odd placement or small windows.  Don't sweat it.

Scott Williams

Hi Scott,

Speaking for myself here I just want creators to know not everyone who uses window bags is in it to make money off your signature! I believe a good chunk of creators think that if they see a window bag or even a cgc witness that this person is there only to sell your signature on ebay.  I have a really nice display of signed comics in my comic den that look great in a cgc case. Obviously I use a window bag because I'd like your signature in the general area that I want to see it. Also to keep the book safe, we're collectors after all! I like 9.8's! 

I understand there are guys who yes are there to flip books but it's the same for any collecting field. End of the day that sig on that book will end up on someones shelf who will cherish it.

Long story short, It may be a minor pain for you but we're not all bad guys! 

9 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

Hi Scott,

Speaking for myself here I just want creators to know not everyone who uses window bags is in it to make money off your signature! I believe a good chunk of creators think that if they see a window bag or even a cgc witness that this person is there only to sell your signature on ebay.  I have a really nice display of signed comics in my comic den that look great in a cgc case. Obviously I use a window bag because I'd like your signature in the general area that I want to see it. Also to keep the book safe, we're collectors after all! I like 9.8's! 

I understand there are guys who yes are there to flip books but it's the same for any collecting field. End of the day that sig on that book will end up on someones shelf who will cherish it.

Long story short, It may be a minor pain for you but we're not all bad guys! 

No worries, and I never meant to imply that signature collectors were bad guys, even those who also do it for profit.  If someone lies in order to get signatures, that's disgusting of course.  Otherwise if someone simply collects signatures, or provides a paid service to allow customers to get those signatures who wouldn't  have another option, I think it's all good.  As long as everything is upfront and respectful and everyone (the collector, the signature gatherer and the professional) get's what they want, you'll hear no complaints from me.

Scott