• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does resto effect the grade? (Hulk 181)

10 posts in this topic

How does resto effect the grade? (Hulk 181)

Hello everybody,

Here is my issue: I recently submitted a Hulk 181 signed by Stan Lee to get a yellow label. Fast forward and it comes back as a restored 7.0 (small amount of color touch on cover, page 10 married with glue, slight c-1). Aesthetically, this is a beautiful book and looks much better than many 9.0's that I have seen so here is my question.... Does the fact that it's restored inherently bring the grade down? I haven't ever received a restored book so I'm unclear on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll post pics if anybody would like to see them. Thanks - ApexComix

C-1 indicates that while the restoration is slight, it is of poor quality. Poor quality color touch might actually negatively impact the apparent grade.

The OP also has to realize that, unlike the Qualified grade, a Restored grade does not ignore the defects that are covered up by restoration. So, if the CT is covering up a crease, the crease is counted against the grade. In my personal experience, a restored book usually looks undergraded.

BTW, a 9.8 with resto, hard to believe.

On ‎2017‎/‎05‎/‎28 at 3:34 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

The OP also has to realize that, unlike the Qualified grade, a Restored grade does not ignore the defects that are covered up by restoration. So, if the CT is covering up a crease, the crease is counted against the grade. In my personal experience, a restored book usually looks undergraded.

BTW, a 9.8 with resto, hard to believe.

Isn't any in GPA data. Doesn't mean anything though.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Isn't any in GPA data. Doesn't mean anything though.

I don't think there is an easy way to cross reference the census. Maybe CGC has some search tools available to them.  Assuming a 9.8 has no major flaw, what would the resto be covering up that would allow it to be a 9.8 ?. Even the slightest CT touch would be covering up something color breaking. If it exists, maybe a 9.8 with resto was graded when tape didn't count against the grade. 

4 hours ago, ApexComix said:

Thanks, everybody. I usually have a good eye and can catch color touches, but it got right by me. I suppose that C-1 is amateur, but it looks like it's done fairly well.

I don't think the designation of 'amateur' has anything to do with the quality of work. I think it's more a designation for the type of ink used. Amateur usually means it cannot be removed. Of course it can be scraped off but I hate that look.