• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you a comic art addict?

Are you addicted to comic art?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are you addicted to art collecting or is it a light intetest? I check the boards and CAF daily - multiple times a day. I might be addicted. How do you feel?

• Crazy addicted
    • Moderately addicted
    • Casuallly interested
    • Can quit any time

41 posts in this topic

Just wondering if I am alone on this.  Constantly thinking about art.  When I collected comics, it was something I did on the weekends. Mind you - there was no internet back then.

I used to be crazy addicted, but, I've been on the methadone for a couple of years now and would say I'm more moderately addicted, with a danger of falling into the casually addicted camp before long.  I haven't put a dime of new money into my collection since 2015, but, more importantly, I just don't think as much about comic art as I used to.  Why?  I reached a point where I'm more satisfied with what I already own than I am hungry for the things I don't.  And, as such, the pursuit of what I don't own and still want just doesn't seem as important as other things these days.  I marvel at some guys in the hobby who have been around as long as I have (or longer) and are still hitting it as hard as they ever did.  My own collecting appetite has followed a classic diminishing marginal utility curve, to the point where other things give me more pleasure than buying another piece of comic art.  

Though, of course, there are always exceptions. :whistle: 

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Just wondering if I am alone on this.  Constantly thinking about art.  When I collected comics, it was something I did on the weekends. Mind you - there was no internet back then.

Anyone who's a comic art MESSAGE BOARD addict...is probably a comic art addict.

Which is to say...guilty.

I have to say Crazy Addicted. I've been doing this off and on for 30 years. I used to get the CBG and tear into it every week (Used to be a weekly newspaper before turning into the magazine) to go to the back to look at the classifieds for original art. The BEST were the phone/fax/mail auctions (before internet used to be a "thing") and seeing what i wanted to bid on. I can still remember making a deal with a fellow collector to not bid on a Neal Adams batman cover because he wanted it...so i passed at like 800 bucks....sigh...

Anyway, long story short here I am years later. Wife and kids now, and I still dream about it. I still think about the deals and the trades possible. I personally only put 1-3 items a year into my collection but ill go through piles of art to do that. I love looking at it still, i love examining it and understand the inkers style and intent.  Heck even when I sell it I love seeing who has that piece later. When i feel down i go into my art room and look at my portfolios and it still works for me.

I respect eventually all art gets sold and we cant take it with us. But that doesnt mean we cant love it and cherish it while its in our hands. Its a hell of a hobby and collectable in general. I even still like making trips still to buy and sell it.

I check CAF and the dealers' sites in-between things, looking for that Grail, or just to see what hobbyist are collecting. 

I'm with Gene though. Although four years into the hobby, I peaked much earlier. I have two small children so I told myself that I wouldn't spend actual money on the hobby, but though eBay sales of my collectibles. That's tough, because, yes, art, particularly vintage art, is getting harder to find and more expensive since I got in. I have figured that even a Grail piece from the early Copper Age that may mean nothing to most anyone else would cost me $2000-$3000 and that's just too much for me. Even the awesome new/just release art costs that much. That's just hard to swing. There was something that Felix said in one of the podcasts to one of the collectors in the "talk show" segment that really clicked for me. I think the collector was interested in Sam Kieth (who is on my want list). We all know good Kieth isn't cheap. But Felix said that you don't have to own the art to enjoy it. That made a lot of sense, as "dumb" as it sound writing it out. 

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

For sure. I think most here are in the top 2 categories. Also guilty

I go though phases.  Discovering this board, an actual community I could interact with about something I'm pretty nuts about has definitely kicked it up a notch or two recently. I hit Most Comments on caf almost daily to see what's new.  But it comes and goes.  I thought I would ease out as I got older, but this last year I have spent, by far, more money on the hobby than I ever have.  I need therapy.  

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Message Board Addict...guilty as charged!  Though, at least half my time here is spent talking about stocks, Bitcoin, football (soccer), etc. over in The Water Cooler...  

I barely spend any time on CAF, dealer sites, eBay, etc. these days.  It's pretty much just here. :sorry: 

Edited by delekkerste

While I don't have much in the way of art pages, I do love art. Since a child here in Ireland I would get comics bought for me and can even remember "reading" my first comic which was both a disappointment and at the same time wonderful. I would sit for hours yes hours or at least it felt like hours drooling over the pages in front of me the words meant nothing other than strange marks I was in Heaven. Then I started to trace them don't forget I was five at the time, eventually drawing or trying to draw these fascinating images. It was magic and I never knew "who" had drawn them to my young mind it was the same person! No Kirby's no Ditko's only some wizard locked away with his drawing wand, yes I love art in all it's forms but the one I hold most highly is comic book art long may it reign. 

I definitely fall into the crazy addicted category, as I have to look through CAF and dealer sites daily, and am constantly on forums and also networking with friends and artists to find art constantly. When money gets tight, I make due with cheap sketches, sketch cards, and art by unknown artists. Even when I try to "take a break" from the hobby, I can never fully stop. But as long as I am regularly getting art from somewhere, I am good. If I go too long between acquisitions, I do actually get "withdrawals," as bad as that sounds. I know it's all psychological, but it is a habit and a need at this point. 

Mark me down as 'moderately addicted'. I think I'm too calculated to be 'crazy addicted', I exhibit too much self control lol

Even though I primarily collect modern art - both out of a sense of aesthetics and simple affordability - I've never felt comfortable allocating as many resources to it as I could, and I have yet to make an actual impulse purchase. I set limits for myself, and so far, manage to stand by them. As a 'for instance', just today a number of great Tradd Moore pages went up on Felix's site, including one of my top two from the issue in question... but I didn't pull the trigger. It was small potatoes compared to the deep waters some of you guys swim in, but it was outside of my comfort zone on price when discussing a brand new page (even though I love just about everything Tradd has ever done, and I'm happy to see him getting the recognition he deserves). So, while I might regret it later - that page is long gone now - that is an example of why I don't think I can really pick 'crazy addicted'... even though I spend way too much time on these message boards.

Another Comic Art Addicts member.

I have been collecting for over 30 years and there is still comic art out there I want. Here is just the small portfolios of OA, I built the Comicartcase myself to house them. Rest are on framed on the walls or in the larger blueprint cabinet.

bpeck_OA_Port.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

Hello,

yes, I have been doing this for over 20 years now.

nothing has stopped me so far, college, wife...kids...house, all may have been a reason to very temporarily slow down a bit, but I never stopped looking, buying or trading.

Edited by wurstisart

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Message Board Addict...guilty as charged!  Though, at least half my time here is spent talking about stocks, Bitcoin, football (soccer), etc. over in The Water Cooler...  

I barely spend any time on CAF, dealer sites, eBay, etc. these days.  It's pretty much just here. :sorry: 

Same.   Only time I ever got to CAF is when someone links a new acquisition from here.    About 10+/- years ago I was actively seeking out pages on sites and whatnot.  Haven't bought much art over the past few years (besides a collection for resale and then 2 pages with some of the proceeds).  

You said you changed about 2015.  How old is the little guy now?    That may have something to do with "priorities" or just a mindset change of "what's important".   Doesn't hurt to have your collection either.   

14 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

You said you changed about 2015.  How old is the little guy now?    That may have something to do with "priorities" or just a mindset change of "what's important".   Doesn't hurt to have your collection either.   

Got married in 2014 and had the baby in early 2016.  I went on a tear buying art in 2013, figuring I'd taper down my collecting post-wedding.  I did taper a bit, but rebounded with a vengeance in 2015, figuring I'd taper down my buying post-baby!  And, that is what has largely happened (still bought 3-4 big pieces last year, but funded all of those 100% with offsetting sales).

Having the baby was definitely a big part of the change in mindset (as one collector friend of mine said:  once you have a baby, you realize that you're spending THEIR money", which I thought had a lot of truth to it).  Though, I also think I just burned myself out a bit going balls to the wall between 2011 and 2015, to the point where incremental purchases were largely just not giving me the type of joy to justify the record prices.  Not to mention, I acquired enough of what I really wanted most, so that I no longer felt/feel the hunger/urge to pursue the remaining, say, 5% of pieces I still really want with the same vengeance as it took to acquire the other 95%. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

I don’t think you have to be buying all the time to be considered an art addict. If you are involved in the hobby on a daily basis of any kind I think you qualify. If you visit CAF, this board, FB groups, other forums, etc. you are in the demographic. My name is Dave, and I am addicted to comic art.