• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Unofficial" Silver Age Classic Covers

22 posts in this topic

"Unofficial" Silver Age Classic Covers

There are SA issues that have designated classic covers by Overstreet and CGC. Then there are those "unofficial" classic covers that are not but should be. Please feel free to post a cover that you believe is a classic. Here's one that doesn't have the classic cover demarcation but should (not my copy):

IMG_1895.JPG.e3cc1d090095e35aca3b4155a13b53b7.JPG

This book needs no introduction and has the single greatest FF SA story by Stan & Jack. Perhaps the historical and literary  view of this book along with Kirby's incredible artwork inside the covers has kept the focus off just how fantastic the front cover is? Does anyone believe this is not a classic SA cover? Btw, a statue of this cover was done by the sculptor known as "Digger" if my memory serves me correctly and it captures the essence of the Thing in this cover. "The Man...This Monster...This Classic Cover"

Thanks for any insight!

john

Edited by bronze johnny

10 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Are any of the Steranko Fury covers designated as "classic"?   Maybe #4 has it?   I'd say #1 and #6 (and maybe 7, my favorite) should be.   

All of the Steranko Fury/Cap covers are classics for me.

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

All of the Steranko Fury/Cap covers are classics for me.

They are...ST 167 and Cap 111 are officially designated classic covers. Are there any SA Cap covers that are not designated but should be? I'll add an easy one- Avengers 16 (not my book):

IMG_1418.JPG

Edited by bronze johnny

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

It's not designated classic cover, but I certainly consider it one of the classics.

RAD502C32017427_16575.jpg

I'm not up on what OSPG and CGC consider "classic" SA covers, but this has been considered a classic cover by fandom for decades.

Spoiler

Image result for thor 126

Spoiler due to image being huge.  There are so many early awesome Kirby and Ditko covers that it would be easier for me to post in a thread about covers I don't like as there wouldn't be as many to choose from.  I have to go with Thor 126.  One look at this one and you know what you are getting.  The story does not disappoint either.  It is not as wordy as many Silver Age stories and the action and layouts are so good that even the Colleta inks don't bother me.  

On 6/2/2017 at 1:55 PM, rjpb said:

I'm not up on what OSPG and CGC consider "classic" SA covers, but this has been considered a classic cover by fandom for decades.

Mind boggling how this is not an officially designated classic cover by Overstreet nor CGC.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:57 AM, entalmighty1 said:

It's not designated classic cover, but I certainly consider it one of the classics.

RAD502C32017427_16575.jpg

The greatest Silver Age Cover of all?  It would definitely get my vote.

18 minutes ago, spideyfan68 said:

The greatest Silver Age Cover of all?  It would definitely get my vote.

It would definitely be a contender for top SA battle cover.

I just got that TTA 48 off ebay about a month ago.  Ant-Man has to be the least intimidating super hero ever.  In that issue he almost drowns in a kitchen sink.  In the 39 I have he is confined to a water fountain in some park (That is an excellent Kirby cover btw).  It seems that in each case he would have been better off just being regular old Hank Pym.