• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Art (Storage) Day

17 posts in this topic

Exactly. Does link require you to log into FB? 

Here's the final piece with the cabinet maker (Art and Artist)

Carlson Cabinetry and Woodworking
908 Rasmus #6
Houston, TX 77063
Image may contain: 1 person

Edited by alxjhnsn

2 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Exactly. Does link require you to log into FB? 

I don't keep a Facebook account either, and I just see your bio info when I click the link.

Re: your new cabinet - that looks like a serious piece of furniture, very nice.

There are lots of construction pictures on the FB page, but you aren't really missing much other than this description:

I've wanted a better way to store my art portfolios and the framed, but not hung pieces.

Working with my wife and our friendly neighborhood cabinet maker, I believe that we have a good looking (and quite heavy) solution.

Martin Carlson has done a lot of work for us in the past and we like his skill, taste, and overall approach.

We discussed what we wanted and he proposed the design and materials.

The cabinet is oak veneer over plywood with four large casters underneath - hidden by the skirt. It has three compartments each holding up to 10 shelves on adjustable mounts. He used a Minwax Honey stain and polyurethane to seal it.

My thought is to put a framed piece or portfolio on each shelf. It's mounted on four large wheels hidden by the skirt so it is fairly easy to roll into the center of the room. That's important because I want to be able to open my portfolios on it.

The granite top is from our kitchen, we had a "step up" on the counter that got in our way so we took it out and replaced the granite in that spot giving us a much deeper countertop. The guys that did the work were able to save the original piece and they bevelled it all the way around. Kathy and I figured we'd use it for something someday.

I think it looks great.

Carlson Cabinetry and Woodworking
908 Rasmus #6
Houston, TX 77063

I hate to think how much it weighs. The cabinet by itself strained two people and the top was even heavier. 

At least the floors don't groan. :)

You might want to air it out for a long while without the doors on it. The off-gassing from the stain/poly will be rough on the paper. I had this happen to me with a custom, open-front bookcase. I had to line the shelves with Microchamber paper and I'm still not convinced it didn't prematurely age a bunch of books. They were markedly tanned. I kid you not.

I think at one point, they sold Microchamber paint/sealant. Might be worth a looksee.

Edited by BCarter27

Wood has a natural acid as well.

i might use the wrong term here, but I heard you have to be careful with storing paper on / in wood.

...but then,  paper is made out of wood.

Some expert should know, me personally I would be careful.

Thanks guys. The piece was open in the shop for more than two weeks before it came to my place. There's no odor at this point. I will leave the doors open though and look into the microchamber paper.

1 minute ago, alxjhnsn said:

Thanks guys. The piece was open in the shop for more than two weeks before it came to my place. There's no odor at this point. I will leave the doors open though and look into the microchamber paper.

A few cedar blocks and some silica packs and you're good to go. Artwork, maps, etc. have been stored in wood flat filing systems for centuries without destruction of the material they are storing. We have the benefit of mylar that they didn't have. I'd say you're doing ok. 

Awesome setup Alex!

I have a friend who's father is retired and was custom building things like this.  I know he'll ship as well, but as with anything of quality, they're not cheap.

But if anyone's interested let me know and i'll see if he's still doing it.