• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to best display high value comic books
5 5

89 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I display a lot of fine art on paper in my house.  The key is keeping it out of direct sunlight and UV protection.

Here's where I differ from many on this thread:  Do NOT use UV protective glass.

Use UV protective acrylic

Glass can shatter and puncture your art.  Acrylic will not.  Plus, it is lighter and thus is less of a load on your hangers.

These days, you can also pay the price for a very cool non-glare acrylic which is a joy to behold.  An amazing product.  Now standard of care for Museums.

https://tru-vue.com/solution/optium-museum-acrylic/

this yes, the non-glare acrylic is glorious.  i tried it out with a dead poster i have and i can hardly believe how nice it looks.  (thumbsu

22 hours ago, newshane said:

2. When you purchase your frame, make sure you are using museum quality glass that protects against damage from UV rays. This is very expensive, but well worth it. DO NOT go cheap with regular glass or plastic. If you spent tens of thousands on a book, I can't imagine you'd be dumb enough to keep it in an $8 frame. 

And this, yes.  it amazes me people that have fine family portraits, valuable art pieces/prints, autographed photos... you name it and they invest tons of $ into the piece but then use poor quality glass and matte.  its a travesty that happens far too often.

I never display any of my high priced collectibles or firearms.  In the mid-90's nearly my entire high-end sports card collection was stolen in a break-in of which I never recovered any of it (this was pre-PSA).  By today's value, I'd estimate it to be 50-60k loss. 

based on how the OP describes what he is trying to do, I see no issue with setting up a cool display of his treasures like a personal museum. Do be careful to take some of the excellent advice in the thread (the acrylic UV being number 1 along with avoiding direct light.

One idea I had-- and this might not be for everyone-- would be to get some of that glass that they use that can be completely dark at the flip of a switch called electrochromic glass. Now I would still create a framing for it using the acrylic mentioned previously but in addition, you could have custom box frames built that house these items that could be made to turn off (use a timer with only an off mode) so that light exposure would always be minimized. Yes-- pretty expensive way to go but for a book that cost tens of thousands of dollars-- why not? Might also consider some security measures as well.

Here is the type of glass I am referring to--

and keep in mind that I am not saying to have this glass touching the book-- but in addition to the whatever measures you use to protect the book. The reason I mention this method is that finding a completely closed off room might not be along the same path the OP is hoping for-- and this would allow them to show off the book anywhere while still keeping light exposure to a controllable minimum.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:55 AM, AnonymousAF15 said:

How to best display high value comic books

Just picked up the 9.0 on ComicLink for what I think was a good price (but still more than I have spent on just about anything else in my life that wasn't a car)

Will post a picture when it arrives.

It's my first comic book purchase since the 1990s. My plan is to put it on the wall as art. Do folks have suggestions for the best way to do that?

I found these two resources using Google:

http://www.thecollectorsresource.com/

http://www.gweedoscomics.com/cgc-graded-frames/

Any reason to choose one over the other? Or is there something else I'm missing?

(I know some people will say that any display is bad. I should put it in a safety deposit box or something. I won't be doing that. I got it so that it can be wall art. But I want to protect it the best way I can. I will be putting it somewhere that gets light, but no direct natural sunlight and very little natural light at all)

This is what I ordered for my ASM #300

Also ordered a different one for ASM 252 with a black Spidey face symbol on top of the frame

20861803_1597005823663821_3122022730576840551_o.jpg

I've had a Basil Gogos Famous Monsters painting framed in my office at work for over 10 years.  Acrylic paint, no direct sunlight, limited florescent lighting.  Plain old glass with a frame bought "off the rack."  Looks fine...(shrug)

Of course now after reading this thread I want to get in to work to take it out of the frame.  Going to check if the paint that's under the mat, and covered shows a deeper color than the painting that's been exposed for over a decade...:tonofbricks:

On 6/2/2017 at 12:04 PM, Jeffro. said:

I've never understood people who want to display a high dollar comic book where it can be subject to fading or falling off the wall, or something else equally horrible. But I guess that's just me. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had money to burn

I have the same feeling. Stored them in a dark cool place and take them out to look at. 

2 hours ago, hippiecop said:

I've had a Basil Gogos Famous Monsters painting framed in my office at work for over 10 years.  Acrylic paint, no direct sunlight, limited florescent lighting.  Plain old glass with a frame bought "off the rack."  Looks fine...(shrug)

Just an FYI, it is really hard to detect fading over time when you are looking at the piece multiple time per week especially if the fading is only slight. Fading is a long slow process unless stored under direct sunlight. 

Of course now after reading this thread I want to get in to work to take it out of the frame.  Going to check if the paint that's under the mat, and covered shows a deeper color than the painting that's been exposed for over a decade...:tonofbricks:

Let us know? 

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Let us know? 

Looks good !!!              I was getting a little nervous when I was taking it out, but there's no difference between the part that was under the mat, and the exposed part.        Truth be told, even if there had been a slight amount of fading, you can't put a price on the pleasure I've gotten from looking at this art from the genius, Basil Gogos, these past 12-or-so years.  Now back on the wall for the next 4 years, until retirement day !

1511359222416.jpg

1511381847916.jpg

50 minutes ago, hippiecop said:

Looks good !!!              I was getting a little nervous when I was taking it out, but there's no difference between the part that was under the mat, and the exposed part.        Truth be told, even if there had been a slight amount of fading, you can't put a price on the pleasure I've gotten from looking at this art from the genius, Basil Gogos, these past 12-or-so years.  Now back on the wall for the next 4 years, until retirement day !

1511359222416.jpg

1511381847916.jpg

Lee as Frankenstein's monster? That's awesome! :applause:

1511359222416.jpg

1511381847916.jpg

Thats great that it is in great shape.  Since you have it down, I would go ahead and get UV protective archival plexiglass.  You can get it reasonable at American Frames.  I have had great luck with them.

Now for a comment on the actual artwork, that is FRICKEN amazing !!! (worship)

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Thats great that it is in great shape.  Since you have it down, I would go ahead and get UV protective archival plexiglass.  You can get it reasonable at American Frames.  I have had great luck with them.

Now for a comment on the actual artwork, that is FRICKEN amazing !!! (worship)

Thanks.  I may take that under advisement, because of all the potential hazards that can happen to it, the one I think about the most is it falling off the wall and cutting up the paint with the glass shards...

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, hippiecop said:

Thanks.  I may take that under advisement, because of all the potential hazards that can happen to it, the one I think about the most is it falling off the wall and cutting up the paint with the glass shards...

That would be a real issue in an earthquake prone area.  Alternately, I once had a tree fall on my house and it knocked pictures off the wall everywhere.   As for me, I've taken nice color copies and wrapped them around cheap comic books and they were nearly indistinguishable from the originals.  I'd personally never hang an expensive original, UV light nor not.

Edited by Westy Steve

To OP.. I read most of the answers, and since this is bit old maybe you've moved on, but I can see no right or wrong, just do what you want. I've been majorly robbed before, lost many things of value, was also a firefighter and saw things worth far more than valuable comics lost, priceless family items etc.. Your life is all you got, so maybe get it insured, display it, enjoy the heck out of it, and if something happens, it happens :)

I’ve got my Moon Knight 1 CGC 9.6 up on the wall.  Heck you only live once and I enjoy it. There are two windows in the room the book hangs in and i just covered the windows with aluminum foil.