• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to best display high value comic books
5 5

89 posts in this topic

How to best display high value comic books

Just picked up the 9.0 on ComicLink for what I think was a good price (but still more than I have spent on just about anything else in my life that wasn't a car)

Will post a picture when it arrives.

It's my first comic book purchase since the 1990s. My plan is to put it on the wall as art. Do folks have suggestions for the best way to do that?

I found these two resources using Google:

http://www.thecollectorsresource.com/

http://www.gweedoscomics.com/cgc-graded-frames/

Any reason to choose one over the other? Or is there something else I'm missing?

(I know some people will say that any display is bad. I should put it in a safety deposit box or something. I won't be doing that. I got it so that it can be wall art. But I want to protect it the best way I can. I will be putting it somewhere that gets light, but no direct natural sunlight and very little natural light at all)

X-men #1 was the comic. Sorry. I cross-posted from the "X-men #1 Club" thread and didn't do it very well....

I'm definitely set on displaying it. It seems pretty silly to drop $40K on a piece of art and then display a photocopy of that piece of art....

But I want to do it smart. Museums exist, so there must be a way to do this.

14 minutes ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

X-men #1 was the comic. Sorry. I cross-posted from the "X-men #1 Club" thread and didn't do it very well....

Ah, that makes more sense. Judging by your screen name I assumed you were talking about an AF15, but there was no 9.0 on CL.

I've never understood the people who want to display a comic book they own, but choose to hang a scan instead. If you're simply showing off scans, you can download any that you want from the internet - what's the fun in that?  (shrug)

As long as you keep your books completely out of direct sunlight, minimize the exposure to indirect sunlight and don't display them in a room filled with fluorescent lights you should be just fine.

4 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

I've never understood the people who want to display a comic book they own, but choose to hang a scan instead. If you're simply showing off scans, you can download any that you want from the internet - what's the fun in that?  (shrug)

As long as you keep your books completely out of direct sunlight, minimize the exposure to indirect sunlight and don't display them in a room filled with fluorescent lights you should be just fine.

I hear Nicolas Cage used to display his copy of Action Comics #1 right there on the fireplace mantel. 

18 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

I've never understood people who want to display a high dollar comic book where it can be subject to fading or falling off the wall, or something else equally horrible. But I guess that's just me. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had money to burn

43 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

What do you recommend for framing the high value books?

57 minutes ago, Foley said:

Ah, that makes more sense. Judging by your screen name I assumed you were talking about an AF15, but there was no 9.0 on CL.

Sorry about the name. I originally only planned on posting once on the AF15 thread based on what I was planning to do as a newbie to collecting. It was meant as throw-away account. But I was too lazy to create a new account after I made this purchase.

Original plan was just to buy a single AF15 to frame as art (and keep until I die). But three things happened:

1- AF15 got real expensive really fast

2- The money I was coming into got bigger

3- I got excited about the idea of an art "wall" rather than a single piece. Goal now is to have the 9 keys I care about (AF15, X1, FF1, H1, A1, JIM83, TOS39, TOS57, DD1). 2 down, 7 to go.... Was outbid at the last minute on A1, FF1 and JIM83 this week.... 

1 hour ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

I'm definitely set on displaying it. It seems pretty silly to drop $40K on a piece of art and then display a photocopy of that piece of art....

But I want to do it smart. Museums exist, so there must be a way to do this.

It also seems silly to turn a $40,000 comic into a $10,000 comic because you stubbornly want to display it.

2 minutes ago, MoRighter said:

It also seems silly to turn a $40,000 comic into a $10,000 comic because you stubbornly want to display it.

Is that the answer? Displaying a comic - no matter what the method - will destroy it's value?

How do museums display art? Seems like it's a problem that can be solved if one throws enough money at it.