• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to best display high value comic books
5 5

89 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I've never understood people who want to display a high dollar comic book where it can be subject to fading or falling off the wall, or something else equally horrible. But I guess that's just me. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had money to burn

If museums thought that way, it seems like that would slightly ruin the whole experience - "just imagine that there's a beautiful Picasso hanging on the wall over there" ...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be careful about how you display your prized collectibles - just that a knee-jerk reaction of "you will DESTROY the book if you display it!" is silly. I have OA hanging all over my house and comic books hanging on the walls in my comic book room because it gives me pleasure to look at them.

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

I've never understood the people who want to display a comic book they own, but choose to hang a scan instead. If you're simply showing off scans, you can download any that you want from the internet - what's the fun in that?  (shrug)

Rarely do you ever type anything I can disagree with, but you sure did this time! lol

Do you actually know anyone who is just showing off scans of comics from the internet?  When you OWN the comic, the scan is a scan of YOUR comic.  Of course hanging the scan and protecting the comic itself is a good idea.  Look at the scan every day in direct sunlight if you want, because the real thing is safe elsewhere.  

Does your wife physically sit on your desk all day?  Why would you frame a photo of her?  If you're simply showing off scans of your wife, you can download any wife that you want from the internet! 

Edited by valiantman

25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Rarely do you ever type anything I can disagree with, but you sure did this time! lol

Do you actually know anyone who is just showing off scans of comics from the internet?  When you OWN the comic, the scan is a scan of YOUR comic.  Of course hanging the scan and protecting the comic itself is a good idea.  Look at the scan every day in direct sunlight if you want, because the real thing is safe elsewhere.  

Does your wife physically sit on your desk all day?  Why would you frame a photo of her?  If you're simply showing off scans of your wife, you can download any wife that you want from the internet! 

How on earth is that in any way a valid comparison? :makepoint:

I consider comic books to be art & like displaying art in my house.

If I own an original painting, I'm not going to buy a print and then hang the print on the wall - I'm going to frame & hang the actual painting. Comic books are no different to me.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

"Does your wife physically sit on your desk all day?  Why would you frame a photo of her?  If you're simply showing off scans of your wife, you can download any wife that you want from the internet!"

I like the comparison.  

As for displaying comics around the house, I choose to pass.  I am too worried that they will fade, get broken, or get stolen.  

Edited by Comicsarefun

2 hours ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

Is that the answer? Displaying a comic - no matter what the method - will destroy it's value?

How do museums display art? Seems like it's a problem that can be solved if one throws enough money at it.

we're talking about paper items, not oil on canvas.  The Getty Museum displays their manuscripts in rooms that have no external light enter, no windows.  Only special low level lights.  They wouldn't expose their paper manuscripts to natural light.

2 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Where can I buy those holders?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Display-Case-Stand-for-CGC-Graded-Comic-Books-/262615431322?hash=item3d2519789a:m:mDWVqe8ik4-OXhL8HUm8qSw

They're a bit cheaper if you go through the storefront site instead of the ebay listing. Nice thick acrylic all the way around, much more substantial protection than just the CGC holder and you can also order the UV-resistant acrylic as an upgrade (thumbsu

Edited by Martin Sinescu

3 hours ago, mschmidt said:

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I've never understood people who want to display a high dollar comic book where it can be subject to fading or falling off the wall, or something else equally horrible. But I guess that's just me. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had money to burn

If museums thought that way, it seems like that would slightly ruin the whole experience - "just imagine that there's a beautiful Picasso hanging on the wall over there" ...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be careful about how you display your prized collectibles - just that a knee-jerk reaction of "you will DESTROY the book if you display it!" is silly. I have OA hanging all over my house and comic books hanging on the walls in my comic book room because it gives me pleasure to look at them.

I'm not saying don't do it. Obviously, people do. No way in hell I would do it.

Do you have insurance in case all that framed stuff gets damaged? I wonder if museums insure all of their pieces?

1 hour ago, Comicsarefun said:

"Does your wife physically sit on your desk all day?  Why would you frame a photo of her?  If you're simply showing off scans of your wife, you can download any wife that you want from the internet!"

I like the comparison.  

As for displaying comics around the house, I choose to pass.  I am too worried that they will fade, get broken, or get stolen.  

Did you buy your wife?  Gotta side with Schmidt on this one.

I still don't know what book the OP was referring to, I'm so curious now.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

There are uv blocking films you can put on your windows, UV blocking acrylics and museum glass, and you can switch to high quality LED bulbs. It's not like the OP wants to display it outside.  If it were me, I would also want to display my artwork instead of locking it away to never be seen or enjoyed.  But then, I might also fabricate myself a panel to open or close over the display to mitigate exposure.

8 hours ago, mschmidt said:

How on earth is that in any way a valid comparison? :makepoint:

I consider comic books to be art & like displaying art in my house.

If I own an original painting, I'm not going to buy a print and then hang the print on the wall - I'm going to frame & hang the actual painting. Comic books are no different to me.

I agree that comics would fall under art, but at the same time they are reproductions of the OA. Technically you are displaying some form of a scan.  :tonofbricks:

22 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

There are uv blocking films you can put on your windows, UV blocking acrylics and museum glass, and you can switch to high quality LED bulbs. It's not like the OP wants to display it outside.  If it were me, I would also want to display my artwork instead of locking it away to never be seen or enjoyed.  But then, I might also fabricate myself a panel to open or close over the display to mitigate exposure.

Are you saying that you would have no problem spending 40K on a comic and displaying it out where it could get harmed, either by light or falling etc? 

I can't imagine displaying my AF 15, or any other book.

What would be so wrong in displaying a copy of your book, giving yourself a little peace of mind.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:55 PM, mschmidt said:

I also have original art framed and on display, I can't imagine how boring it would be to have kept it in the portfolio, though I don't knock people who choose to do that.

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I also have original art framed and on display, I can't imagine how boring it would be to have kept it in the portfolio, though I don't knock people who choose to do that.

I have OA on display as well, but I sure would be hard pressed to display my AF 15.

I have a bust sketch by Neal Adams out displayed, it can be seen in the "show comic room" thread, I think you should consider information and pick wisely what you choose to display. Many reason's come to mind, like friends being jealous or envious etc and then to the point of stealing or other damaging etc

I understand your original post was that you don't mind the cost that it would take to display something like this, as long as it could be done to protect it.

I'm glad you want to protect it :) I don't know enough about the museum to say discriptively enough what you should do or take into account..... :sorry:

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Are you saying that you would have no problem spending 40K on a comic and displaying it out where it could get harmed, either by light or falling etc? 

I can't imagine displaying my AF 15, or any other book.

What would be so wrong in displaying a copy of your book, giving yourself a little peace of mind.

First, let me say that I'm not judging the validity of an opposing opinion.  I can't imagine spending that on a comic book, but the other day I drove by a guy in a late 60s Ferrari, I'm guessing a 275.  That's a several million dollar car on Houston's Africa styled roads (actually worse than the paved roads in Africa, where I learned to drive).  If I had one, I'd drive it, too.  If I had a $40K car, I'd drive it.  If I had a Lotus Exige, I'd take it on track and push it to my limits (the car's limits being beyond my capacity to drive).

In my opinion, if I locked away a valuable possession, never to be seen, it would seem like Schroedinger's Cat to me.  And if a scan of the item sufficed to replace it in display, I would question the importance of the existence of the hidden Cat.  If a scan is good enough, why do I even need to own the thing?  Granted, even though it's essentially a limited edition print and not the OA, it is still a real piece of art (or is it?  Friggin Schroedinger).  There isn't anything wrong with choosing to display a copy, that's just how I see it.  If you don't see it that way, different strokes.

That's not to say I would seek out door dings and potholes when driving my Ferrari or Lotus.  I would take reasonable precaution.  For a comic, there is justifiable concern, but I feel examining the issue, there is a reasonable solution.  I am from DC.  I've seen the actual Declaration of Independence displayed, if that can be done, a comic display should be achievable.  It seems to me, displaying a comic that, reasonably sheltered from UV radiation by way of UV blocking film on windows, locating the comic out of the direct path of the sun through said windows, behind UV blocking glass/acrylic, in a room with non-UV producing LED light bulbs, with a closable panel/display, is sufficient.  Personally, I can't enjoy the comic just having it in the house. 

Edited by SteppinRazor

I've seen the very real effects of how quickly just normal light can fade something.  I have two copies of the same giclee art print and the one I kept displayed with decent glass for just a few years is very obviously faded compared to the undisplayed copy.  Ever go into a comic shop and notice how bad some of the color is on their wall books? 

I can't speak to museum glass but it may help a bit.  "UV resistant" is a very vague term and doesn't explain to what degree it will resist.  Maybe it only helps 10% compared to nothing at all.  Don't rely on it.  Set up your display area somewhere that you keep your lights off and windows closed 95% of the day.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:45 PM, mschmidt said:

I've never understood the people who want to display a comic book they own, but choose to hang a scan instead. If you're simply showing off scans, you can download any that you want from the internet - what's the fun in that?  (shrug)

As long as you keep your books completely out of direct sunlight, minimize the exposure to indirect sunlight and don't display them in a room filled with fluorescent lights you should be just fine.

If there were teams I would be on this one ?

Edited by gino2paulus2
but then again i don't have any 40K books which i probably wouldn't display if i had them

Collector I knew lived in a very nice community of town homes. He had a bunch of frame mounted comics on one of the walls. His neighbor who was going through a break up landed solo in his town home next door. The now single member went out and purchased a Klipsch home theatre system. The guy I knew came home on a Sunday afternoon from a weekend trip to find a bunch of his comics had crashed/landed on his hard wood floor. The solo neighbor had been demo'ing out his system on a Jason Bourne marathon and the vibrations from the sub just literally shook through the entire structure.  So simple point is be sure to factor in your particular environment, geography etc to ensure your displayed comics are absolutely in a secured position.

11 minutes ago, ARCHIVED COLLECTIBLES said:

Collector I knew lived in a very nice community of town homes. He had a bunch of frame mounted comics on one of the walls. His neighbor who was going through a break up landed solo in his town home next door. The now single member went out and purchased a Klipsch home theatre system. The guy I knew came home on a Sunday afternoon from a weekend trip to find a bunch of his comics had crashed/landed on his hard wood floor. The solo neighbor had been demo'ing out his system on a Jason Bourne marathon and the vibrations from the sub just literally shook through the entire structure.  So simple point is be sure to factor in your particular environment, geography etc to ensure your displayed comics are absolutely in a secured position.

I thought the simple point of this story was that the Klipsch Home Theater System ROCKed!!! ? jk that stinks