• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOHN WICK 3 (5/17/19)
2 2

127 posts in this topic

In holdover news for the weekend that isn’t about Avengers: Endgame, John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum earned $24.7 million (-57%) in its second Fri-Sun weekend. That’s a better hold than Deadpool 2 (-65%) but not as strong of a hold as Pitch Perfect 2 (-55%) and Mad Max: Fury Road (-43%) on this same weekend. Nonetheless, that still gives the $75 million-budgeted threequel a $100 million ten-day domestic cume. We can expect a $30 million Fri-Mon holiday haul for a $107 million 11-day domestic total. That easily pushes John Wick 3 over the $92 million cume of John Wick: Chapter 2.

Its new $181 million global cume is just above the $171 million cume of John Wick: Chapter 2. We’ll see if it can stick around long enough to become the rare non-Hunger Games/Twilight Lionsgate release to top $300 million worldwide. But it’s still in the realm of possibility. The real “holy ” milestone is if it legs out to $184 million (not likely) and $342 million (less likely) to top the domestic and global gross of John Wick 2, essentially having a trilogy where the first two sequels doubled their respective predecessors.

Still, even legs like Pitch Perfect 2 and Deadpool 2 after Memorial Day gets the R-rated actioner to $155 million domestic. And if it continues to play 57/43 domestic/overseas, it’ll end up with $269 million worldwide. That will still be a 57% jump from the first sequel, which is darn-near unprecedented (I need a few hours to do the research) for a threequel to a sequel that essentially doubled the grosses of its predecessor. Again, we’re talking Captain America-sized jumps, without any added-value Avengers to spice up the stew. This is just a case of John Wick growing as an IP.

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum earned $24.6 million in its second Fri-Sun frame, a drop of 56.7% from its $56.8 million opening weekend. That’s a bigger drop than Mad Max: Fury Road (-45%) on the same weekend in 2015, but about on par with Pitch Perfect 2 (-55%) concurrently and a much better hold than Deadpool 2 (-65%) on this frame in 2018. It’s also a tad better than the 62% drop for Jason Bourne (from a $59 million launch) in 2016. Including its full $31 million Fri-Mon weekend estimate, Lionsgate's $75 million action sequel has earned $107.6 million in 11 days of domestic release. That’s above the $92 million cume of John Wick: Chapter 2 in just the first nine days of release.

Oh, and it has earned $74.4 million overseas, not counting whatever it earned outside of North America on Monday. If the 59/41 split holds through yesterday, John Wick: Chapter 3 will have earned $79 million overseas and thus $187 million worldwide as the month of May comes to an end, or well ahead of the $172 million worldwide cume of John Wick: Chapter 2. It won’t be the biggest domestic grosser in May, since Aladdin literally stayed one jump ahead of the hit man. However, despite being an R-rated action franchise with no popular source material on which to capitalize, it’s also staying well within the comfort zone for at least some of the recent 007 entries, the Bourne flicks and the Mission: Impossible sequels.

Ok, saw this film last night, and I'd have to give it a 70 out of 100 (so a D).  I really enjoyed the first film because while it pushed the boundaries of what one man could do I don't think it crossed those boundaries.  This film, just had me rolling my eyes at a lot of the things going on.  There is no way John Wick should have made it alive to the end of that film with the situations they put him in.

Also, remind me to never go to NYC because it seems like every 5th person is an assassin and the other four people are either completely clueless as to people getting killed 2 feet away from them, or they are being paid a stipend by the Continental to look the other way.

Edited by media_junkie

26 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, saw this film last night, and I'd have to give it a 70 out of 100 (so a D).  I really enjoyed the first film because while it pushed the boundaries of what one man could do I don't think it crossed those boundaries.  This film, just had me rolling my eyes at a lot of the things going on.  There is no way John Wick should have made it alive to the end of that film with the situations they put him in.

Also, remind me to never go to NYC because it seems like every 5th person is an assassin and the other four people are either completely clueless as to people getting killed 2 feet away from them, or they are being paid a stipend by the Continental to look the other way.

This in a nutshell for me. I really enjoyed the first hour but by the 6th hand to hand fight it’s gets tiresome quickly, it’s become very cartoonish and the level of punishment Wick takes especially at the end makes season 2 of the Punisher seem almost normal.

I enjoyed the Casablanca sequence and Halle Berry but after that I was kinda bored.

And what is with people getting killed in daylight like a busy station and everyone around them completely ignoring and carrying like nothing happened. Sadly I prefer the earlier two movies, :(

On 5/18/2019 at 5:13 AM, mrc said:

Not sure about this one. My newspaper says "The violence will get on your Wick" and "Fight scenes turn into lifeless spectacle in this ugly franchise". Seems more like a video game than a movie?

I would ignore any review that uses lines like "the violence will get on your Wick". That is some hackneyed writing. The second quote makes it sound like the reviewer didn't like the first or second ones either.

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, well when I went to school 70 was a D, 69 was an F.

I'm just razz'n ya. :wink:

A lot of schools still consider 70 to be a D. Just depends on the school. 

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, lol!

Edited by Darkowl

28 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I'm just razz'n ya. :wink:

A lot of schools still consider 70 to be a D. Just depends on the school. 

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, lol!

:sumo: :baiting:

I've never heard of a 70 being a D any schools I've associated with, directly or indirectly.

U.S. DEPT OF EDUCATION: How is Grade Point Average Calculated?

grades01.thumb.PNG.42cffde29ebf7723caaf51a04c8110f2.PNG

2 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

From Wiki

Screenshot-2019-06-09-14-09-00-3.png

Interesting. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dept of Education table is from 2011 compared to that 2009 reference. I wonder how much deviation happens around the country?

7 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

From Wiki

Screenshot-2019-06-09-14-09-00-3.png

:roflmao:

Go back to the wiki article and click on the reference link. It goes to what I posted, which is 70 = C.

grades01.thumb.PNG.2dc17c8c759c171b41962d3b3c5088a6.PNG

They never updated Wiki to reflect this.

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

Go back to the wiki article and click on the reference link. It goes to what I posted, which is 70 = C.

They never updated Wiki to reflect this.

That's hilarious! 

I actually moved around a lot as a kid, and it seemed like there was some grading variation amongst the schools i attended. For example, Texas seemed to be harder on grades than Utah did.

Just now, Darkowl said:

That's hilarious! 

I actually moved around a lot as a kid, and it seemed like there was some grading variation amongst the schools i attended. For example, Texas seemed to be harder on grades than Utah did.

I'll log into Wiki and update it myself, as that is too funny. So much for crowd-sourcing information from reliable sources - and then not actually referencing them appropriately.

:insane: