• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

343 posts in this topic

No, Hobgoblin is nowhere near as big as Venom. He could have been but Marvel effed up the whole Hobgoblin story. Still, Hobby was pretty big (really big) stuff before Venom was around. 

Edited by Jeffro.

That’s ok you can but only three bad guys in modern era were “ big “ adds 

hobgoblin 

venom

carnage 

hobgoblin was in pretty much every book from 1983-87

venom then came slowly and exploded in 90s . No argument of Venom being bigger but in 1980s he def was not! The 238 is way harder to find I expect we are nowhere near ceiling on this one

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

That’s ok you can but only three bad guys in modern era were “ big “ adds 

hobgoblin 

venom

carnage 

hobgoblin was in pretty much every book from 1983-87

venom then came slowly and exploded in 90s . No argument of Venom being bigger but in 1980s he def was not! The 238 is way harder to find I expect we are nowhere near ceiling on this one

Plus the tattoos are hard to keep in tact. Venom is huge, but how high will it hit on the hill before downfall. I just don't want to buy at the top of the hill for any of these books.

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Plus the tattoos are hard to keep in tact. Venom is huge, but how high will it hit on the hill before downfall. I just don't want to buy at the top of the hill for any of these books.

Then you should buy immediately.  Stop what you’re doing this very instant and buy the highest grade copy that you can afford right now.

6 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Honestly the ASM 238 is much rarer in 9.8 and just as big for a villain . Both of these are monster books in grade 

What has Hobgoblin really done of any significance after his 1st major arc? As soon as Norman came back, Hobgoblin has more or less  (and rightly so) disappeared.

Edited by Jordysnordy

Hey that’s your opinion . I grew up in 80s nostalgia is there for me. TBH the best Venom was McFarlane’s he drew him for what 4 issues ? That’s it . Don’t get me wrong I love both soft spot for early 80s I was roughly 9-10 years old for hobgoblin stuff 

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:
7 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Honestly the ASM 238 is much rarer in 9.8 and just as big for a villain . Both of these are monster books in grade 

What has Hobgoblin really done of any significance after his 1st major arc? As soon as Norman came back, Hobgoblin has more or less  (and rightly so) disappeared.

And despite all that the book is surging right now so what was your point? (shrug)

30 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

And despite all that the book is surging right now so what was your point? (shrug)

Just that some of the crazy price increases we are seeing don’t seem justified in my eyes. But maybe all 1st appearances, whether or not major, medium or minor, are hot and I guess that’s all that matters right now :slapfight:

16 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Just that some of the crazy price increases we are seeing don’t seem justified in my eyes. But maybe all 1st appearances, whether or not major, medium or minor, are hot and I guess that’s all that matters right now :slapfight:

If we could ever get origins back in the mix, we'd be ready to roll, or it would make me feel better. 

7 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

No, Hobgoblin is nowhere near as big as Venom. He could have been but Marvel effed up the whole Hobgoblin story. Still, Hobby was pretty big (really big) stuff before Venom was around. 

Hobgoblin at his peak may have been even bigger than Venom. But that peak was 35 years ago.

Price is kind of irrelevant to me. I have 2 9.8's one direct and one newsstand but I can never see myself selling them. I do have a SS 9.6 that I can see myself selling but that's because it is the only SS in my collection and is out of my collecting focus. I would not be happy if I was in the market of buying one these days. It is one of my favorite covers and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them when they came out.

32 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:
1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Here's the thing. People said the same thing about ASM 300 and Hulk 181, and even at one time, AF 15. There's always someone who poo poos the idea that a particular key is overvalued and how can this possibly continue to go on. And then it goes on.