• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

343 posts in this topic

Just now, Jeffro. said:

Here's the thing. People said the same thing about ASM 300 and Hulk 181, and even at one time, AF 15. There's always someone who poo poos the idea that a particular key is overvalued and how can this possibly continue to go on. And then it goes on. 

I’m NOT disagreeing with you - just pointing out that Hobgoblin IMO isn’t a very key character so the rise in value of 238 doesn’t make sense to me. I have never viewed ASM 238 as a key issue but maybe I need to re-evaluate my definition of “key” hm 

17 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

In this climate it's probably not that far fetched.

Lol I was trying something, if origin was a thing maybe it would convince me that the story mattered but

I also think that with 1sts and movies people want relevance and an ongoing story, partly with cards that's a reason they failed, the crazy is they're picking up.

I want story's to matter, or even things like avengers 66 if Adamantium mattered to people or something connecting stories it would bring the train into the collector station?

In the end I am of the opinion there is just so much material out there period, I mean if you think ASM 238 is a high number in 9.8, think of the story arc that was mainstream with him back then. That is more material and harder to catch on as a collector or with so much available to read for free

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I was trying something, if origin was a thing maybe it would convince me that the story mattered but

I also think that with 1sts and movies people want relevance and an ongoing story, partly with cards that's a reason they failed, the crazy is they're picking up.

I want story's to matter, or even things like avengers 66 if Adamantium mattered to people or something connecting stories it would bring the train into the collector station?

In the end I am of the opinion there is just so much material out there period, I mean if you think ASM 238 is a high number in 9.8, think of the story arc that was mainstream with him back then. That is more material and harder to catch on as a collector or with so much available to read for free

On the flip side if avengers #66 is a key is thor #339?

Lol at what point do key elements of a story make up for someone not buying to read as a collector. Avengers 66 was a good read but I don't know about thor. Given the rhetoric sometimes "bill" was a cool character with a horrible name lol

At first I thout the same about hobgoblin, I thought carnage was a much better transition.

Hobgoblin at the time seemed gimicky given the multiple of greens and reds now. Demogoblin next?

I get the character plight and understand a need for one solid villain for Spidey, that's almost needed when you compare to a thing like the joker. Maybe marvel didn't want to copy dc and have a one major villain problem? And wanted some more interchangeable parts to a moving story? Hopefully as is evident makes for good movies....

I'm over analyzing and thinking off the top of my head stuff that had probably been discussed ad nauseam...but food for thought as to why people play the firsts game rather than origin

rantrant

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

At current rates of increase, they’ll hit 10k by summer.:insane:

One thing I know they're at a point I cant pay to replace, but I'd sell if the need arose but again so far the money doesnt out weigh a potential sale in the future to off set cost for a need, if that makes sense.....

Not to Harp, but my ac unit and furnace survived Texas weather, one company was offering a free furnace with purchase of a brand new ac unit. This was before the cold hit, I'm sure they got some business, and I was certainly tempted eek!  :eek:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Here's the thing. People said the same thing about ASM 300 and Hulk 181, and even at one time, AF 15. There's always someone who poo poos the idea that a particular key is overvalued and how can this possibly continue to go on. And then it goes on. 

The difference now are the exponential price increases.  

Looking at all these prices I sold most of my collection way early . I let go of most two years ago and I thought I had to get my money out . I regret it now. Soooo many solid comics I had are worth triple now . I only kept the books I remembered and lived from my childhood and my golden age stuff. Times have changed 

9 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I’m NOT disagreeing with you - just pointing out that Hobgoblin IMO isn’t a very key character so the rise in value of 238 doesn’t make sense to me.

Well in that regard I agree with you. I'm not sure why now is the time for Hobgoblin to explode. It's probably due to the fact that from a collectibles standpoint we're living in a very silly time and all boats are being floated as a result

9 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I’m NOT disagreeing with you - just pointing out that Hobgoblin IMO isn’t a very key character so the rise in value of 238 doesn’t make sense to me. I have never viewed ASM 238 as a key issue but maybe I need to re-evaluate my definition of “key” hm 

Well you can always tier your idea of keys

ASM 300-Major Key

ASM 238-Minor key

Was Hobgoblin as equally important to Spidey storyline as Morbius? And ASM 101 is 11k in 9.8. Was Morbius as important or popular as Punisher, absolutely not, and the price reflects it. I think Morbius and Hobgoblin are on the same level as Punisher and Venom are on the same level, but neither price values reflect that.

(First appearances in some sense need to be considered keys)

People consider when a character changes into another character as a possible key i.e Hawkeye turning into Ronin, Green Goblin turning into Red Goblin 

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well you can always tier your idea of keys

ASM 300-Major Key

ASM 238-Minor key

Was Hobgoblin as equally important to Spidey storyline as Morbius? And ASM 101 is 11k in 9.8. Was Morbius as important or popular as Punisher, absolutely not, and the price reflects it. I think Morbius and Hobgoblin are on the same level as Punisher and Venom are on the same level, but neither price values reflect that.

(First appearances in some sense need to be considered keys)

People consider when a character changes into another character as a possible key i.e Hawkeye turning into Ronin, Green Goblin turning into Red Goblin 

I’m sorry, but there are so many things that are incorrect with your posting that I wouldn’t know where to begin my response.

perhaps somebody more articulate than me can chime in here...@Jeffro ?

47 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I’m sorry, but there are so many things that are incorrect with your posting that I wouldn’t know where to begin my response.

perhaps somebody more articulate than me can chime in here...@Jeffro ?

My posting was an opinion, so factual or not it still remains an opinion

Punisher and Venom are more familiar names in the Marvel Universe then Morbius and Hobgoblin 

That being said I've always been a fan of ASM 238, maybe not on the same level as ASM 129,300 but it's an iconic looking cover, and in my opinion, right or wrong, far more attractive then 300

Edited by Hollywood1892

I’m with you . It’s a big book and coming out of that era it’s the biggest next to ASM 300. I think people get too caught up feeling their opinions matter over others . Proof is in the price anyways

No way Morbius who I personally can’t stand as a character is a better creation than Hobgoblin anyways .

Edited by Subby1938

3 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I’m with you . It’s a big book and coming out of that era it’s the biggest next to ASM 300. I think people get too caught up feeling their opinions matter over others . Proof is in the price anyways

No way Morbius who I personally can’t stand as a character is a better creation than Hobgoblin anyways .

I'm really surprised with the Morbius exposure and most of it in my opinion is coming from the movie announcement. Amazing Spider-Man Villain appearances are generally more valuable then villains with way more popularity then Morbius- Thanos is a prime example of this (IM 55) Galactus (FF 49) vs Kingpin is another. I mean so it appears one of the only villains that the market got right might be FF 5. I mean Journey into Mystery 83 is as equally valuable as ASM 3, but Thor is a extremely popular character (Not saying Doc Oc isn't)

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Wrong.  Coming out of that era, TMNT 1 is the biggest book of that era.  As you like to say, proof is in the price.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:33 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Wrong.  Coming out of that era, TMNT 1 is the biggest book of that era.  As you like to say, proof is in the price.

Doesn't mean the other books aren't big books though...obviously TMNT Is the biggest book of that era, but there are a lot of decent books from that era, and if he is referencing Spidey then ASM 129 is the biggest book, then 101, then if memory serves me 238, and if you want to go 200-299 then 238 is the biggest of that run, obviously if you add 1 more book then it's 300, but from 100-300 it's Punisher, Venom, Hobgoblin, Morbius...obviously not in terms of value as much as popularity and recognition 

Edited by Hollywood1892

On 2/24/2021 at 9:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

On the flip side if avengers #66 is a key is thor #339?

Lol at what point do key elements of a story make up for someone not buying to read as a collector. Avengers 66 was a good read but I don't know about thor. Given the rhetoric sometimes "bill" was a cool character with a horrible name lol

At first I thout the same about hobgoblin, I thought carnage was a much better transition.

Hobgoblin at the time seemed gimicky given the multiple of greens and reds now. Demogoblin next?

I get the character plight and understand a need for one solid villain for Spidey, that's almost needed when you compare to a thing like the joker. Maybe marvel didn't want to copy dc and have a one major villain problem? And wanted some more interchangeable parts to a moving story? Hopefully as is evident makes for good movies....

I'm over analyzing and thinking off the top of my head stuff that had probably been discussed ad nauseam...but food for thought as to why people play the firsts game rather than origin

rantrant

I'm surprised Thor 165 hasn't blown up yet!

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm surprised Thor 165 hasn't blown up yet!

I've said it before, imo, itll take a certain panache for things like ghost rider and things lole "warlock." It may seem common place but probably not in the broader spectrum of things  :shy:

Even the punisher took a minute, it'll always come with a little contemplation. It's not too family oriented, but warlock has a better chance along the lines of venom I'll say that :)

24 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've said it before, imo, itll take a certain panache for things like ghost rider and things lole "warlock." It may seem common place but probably not in the broader spectrum of things  :shy:

Even the punisher took a minute, it'll always come with a little contemplation. It's not too family oriented, but warlock has a better chance along the lines of venom I'll say that :)

Well I would thing marvel spotlight 5 had better momentum then Thor 165, but it has already really rose whereas Thor 165 is pretty unknown I mean people argue about it being Warlocks fa