• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

343 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, kimik said:

Don't worry, I am sure Marvel already has the Red Hobgoblin arc planned..........

If recent history is any indication, there will be Venogoblins and Carnagoblins and Kobolds and Blue Goblins and Black Goblins and Yellow Goblins and Toxic Shock Goblins and Snoop Dogglins and...well, you get the idea...

On 5/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, MetaHuman said:

Agree with RMA about Hobgoblin being a missed opportunity. The Green Goblin was long dead, Spider-Man had no real nemesis for awhile and suddenly this new villain arrives and has everybody going gaga over him. Who is the Hobgoblin was a huge storyline. Hobgoblin could have been the next great Spidey villain. It was so disappointing for him to be Ned Leeds and killed off so disappointingly. 

So when he turned out to actually not be ned  Leeds was that a retcon? 

And I think it would be hilarious if the mcu ned turned into hobgoblin later in this series...maybe post credits of far from home we get this:

Screenshot_20190510-090013_Chrome.thumb.jpg.024b1c1f5a5eaf176b9f926a3311e5c6.jpg

Edited by jason4

On 5/10/2019 at 7:55 AM, jason4 said:

So when he turned out to actually not be ned  Leeds was that a retcon? 

Technically, but not really. It was the character's creator finally setting the record straight. Hobgoblin Lives explained why the story never made any sense.

The end to the Hobgoblin saga was an editorially mandated mess. Nobody involved was ever happy with it.

45 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Here's some of my ASM 238 collection

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

Who were the signatures?

And that's a lot of love :x

:tink:

and holy e'll is that the original artwork to #238&239 covers ^^

sweet! @jjonahjameson11

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Who were the signatures?

And that's a lot of love :x

:tink:

and holy e'll is that the original artwork to #238&239 covers ^^

sweet! @jjonahjameson11

Thanks for your kind comments

The books are signed by the three Romitas: John Sr, John Jr, and Virginia Romita, who worked at Marvel for 20 years.  She's listed on the ASM #238 title credits as "traffic manager"  I've got several more copies in the process of being graded by CGC and I'll update the photos once I receive the additional books.

And you are correct, those are the original cover art to ASM 238 and 239.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:49 PM, Bonthan said:

I like clubs! @jjonahjameson11 gets to be the president though!  The original art is sick. How does one even source where to buy that? 

41BA982D-213C-431E-9158-BA782B9B5CD7.jpeg

259B7D46-02FC-4E3E-B50C-D722830842DE.jpeg

I seem to remember the 238 original art got sold thru a Comiclink auction at some point a number of years back.  Neat to see it again.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:07 PM, astrometric said:

Uptick continues. (The two BINs were taken out quickly)

$1675 Bidding style

$1750 BIN

$1750 BIN

The uptick continues to uptick in November, with public sales of $1906, and $1950.

i sold a cgc 9.8 White Pages, direct a few days ago for $2,000 locally (Toronto).  It’s a fun book to own.