• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

343 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The uptick continues to uptick in November, with public sales of $1906, and $1950.

i sold a cgc 9.8 White Pages, direct a few days ago for $2,000 locally (Toronto).  It’s a fun book to own.

There are barely any 9.8s for sale on eBay. It's like everything is sold out compared to beginning of 2020. Prices will most likely continue to trend up until there's a new batch of 9.8s for sale.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

ASM 239 in cgc 9.8 is ridiculously undervalued.  It’s hobby’s 1st full appearance

No, 238 is the first appearance of the Hobgoblin, with no qualifiers needed. Half of the story is about him, with the rest being regular Spidey/Peter stuff as usual.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

and first battle with Spidey.

Yes, though it's not really much of a battle.

17 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Is this a record for a newsstand copy? 

Well, let's hope so and even more so if record prices extends for the lower graded copies also, similar to Spidey 300 and other so-called keys.  :wishluck:

Any idea what a CGC 9.4 graded copy would be worth in today's hot Spidey market?  hm

Just wondering since I remember driving through the U.S. Midwest about 10 years ago and stopped off at one of the LCS's in a small town.  For some reason, my better half spotted a slabbed copy of ASM 238 and asked me if it was a good deal at $100.  Since that was at slightly less than top of guide at the time plus that was the first time she ever showed any interest in spending her hard earned money on a comic book, I said sure why not.  Definitely a mistake because now she keeps asking every single year if she would be able to recoup her money if she goes to resell it. :facepalm: :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Only problem is that I have absolutely no idea where the book is now after all these years and needless to say, best not to let her know especially since I thought it was never worth the money that we had pay for it in the first place.  :fear:  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, let's hope so and even more so if record prices extends for the lower graded copies also, similar to Spidey 300 and other so-called keys.  :wishluck:

Any idea what a CGC 9.4 graded copy would be worth in today's hot Spidey market?  hm

Just wondering since I remember driving through the U.S. Midwest about 10 years ago and stopped off at one of the LCS's in a small town.  For some reason, my better half spotted a slabbed copy of ASM 238 and asked me if it was a good deal at $100.  Since that was at slightly less than top of guide at the time plus that was the first time she ever showed any interest in spending her hard earned money on a comic book, I said sure why not.  Definitely a mistake because she now keeps asking every single year if she would be able to recoup her money if she goes to resell it.  :facepalm: :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Only problem is that I have absolutely no idea where the book is now after all these years and needless to say, best not to let her know especially since I thought it was never worth the money that we had pay for it in the first place.  :fear:  doh!

$550 to $650 on eBay most recent sales, $100 purchase price is not bad to me. It was worth it in the long run :golfclap:

9 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

$550 to $650 on eBay most recent sales, $100 purchase price is not bad to me. It was worth it in the long run :golfclap:

Why, you are nothing but a trouble maker taking the side of my better half on this. :D

In a sense, I was hoping for something like the $180 that's listed in the guide so that I wouldn't have to waste my time looking for it.  Then again, it shouldn't really be that hard to find since it's a slabbed book.  Unlike the raw Spidey 300's which I cherry picked of the shelves of the LCS back in the day and luckily came across a WWBN 32 & 33 which I never even realized that I had while hunting for my Spidey 300's.  :whee:  :banana:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why, you are nothing but a trouble maker taking the side of my better half on this. :D

In a sense, I was hoping for something like the $180 that's listed in the guide so that I wouldn't have to waste my time looking for it.  Then again, it shouldn't really be that hard to find since it's a slabbed book.  Unlike the raw Spidey 300's which I cherry picked of the shelves of the LCS back in the day and luckily came across a WWBN 32 & 33 which I never even realized that I had while hunting for my Spidey 300's.  :whee:  :banana:

LOL. Lucky! I am jealous. Wish I could go back to the days of the LCS, I miss them. 

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unlike the raw Spidey 300's which I cherry picked of the shelves of the LCS back in the day and luckily came across a WWBN 32 & 33 which I never even realized that I had while hunting for my Spidey 300's.  :whee:  :banana:

LOL. Lucky! I am jealous. Wish I could go back to the days of the LCS, I miss them. 

Not really since the WWBN 32, although a nice copy, was clearly a back issue copy which I must have picked up from their bins and had intended to upgrade whenever a better copy came along.  Definitely something which I had clearly ended up forgetting to do over the years though.  :frown:

The good thing about going through your old boxes is that every now and then, you come across books which you never even realize that you ever had in the first place.  Perfect example being a few years ago, when I found a HG copy of Iron Man 55 stuck randomly in the middle of a pile of mid to late 70's Mavel books.  Better yet, fast forward to last year when I was flipping through a bunch of worthless 80's drek and found a second copy of IM 55 along with a IM 56 in even nicer condition right near the bottom of the worthless stack.  Couldn't figure out why I would have brought those books in the first place, but then realize I was clearly a fan of Starlin's artwork at the time.  :applause:

One of these years, I really must get around to sorting my books in proper alpha order, instead of simply leaving them in the order of when they were purchased.  It really would make it so much easier for me to find something then.  :facepalm:

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not really since the WWBN 32, although a nice copy, was clearly a back issue copy which I must have picked up from their bins and had intended to upgrade whenever a better copy came along.  Definitely something which I had clearly ended up forgetting to do over the years though.  :frown:

The good thing about going through your old boxes is that every now and then, you come across books which you never even realize that you ever had in the first place.  Perfect example being a few years ago, when I found a HG copy of Iron Man 55 stuck randomly in the middle of a pile of mid to late 70's Mavel books.  Better yet, fast forward to last year when I was flipping through a bunch of worthless 80's drek and found a second copy of IM 55 along with a IM 56 in even nicer condition right near the bottom of the worthless stack.  Couldn't figure out why I would have brought those books in the first place, but then realize I was clearly a fan of Starlin's artwork at the time.  :applause:

One of these years, I really must get around to sorting my books in proper alpha order, instead of simply leaving them in the order of when they were purchased.  It really would make it so much easier for me to find something then.  :facepalm:

Yeah, that WWBN 32 would be tough to upgrade now with these insane prices. Maybe if you keep digging you will find an Action #1 or TEC #27 :wishluck: hm

29 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

At this price point, I’d personally throw in $900 more to pick up an ASM 300 in 9.8

You think? At least 238 has lower census numbers and we don't really have a large amount that can be subbed for 9.8. A lot of hoarders are hanging on to 300 even in raw.

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

You think? At least 238 has lower census numbers and we don't really have a large amount that can be subbed for 9.8. A lot of hoarders are hanging on to 300 even in raw.

1st venom + McFarlane art > 1st Hobgoblin 

additionally, asm 300 is a good jumping on point for someone who wants to complete a decent sized run of ASM without breaking the bank