• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics 52

18 posts in this topic

More Fun Comics 52

I was able to pick this up in the last Heritage Auction and feel pretty lucky.  It does have Moderate amateur restoration but I am pretty sure for somewherer between 2-3 thousand, I can change that to professional moderate resotration and get the grade raised from the 2.0 to between 6.0 and 8.0  . I realize many won't touch resotred books and that is fine but I was wondering for those of you who are more open to it, is this money to have the book professionally resotred money well spent, or would I spend 3000 and raise the value of the book by 1500?  This is all just opinion and I am curious as to what others would think.  Thanks in advance for any opinions as that is what I am after.  

Thanks

mfc52(2).JPG

Cool book.

I decided to get a book restored, because it is my all time fav, I couldn't afford a high grade and I really appreciate the artistic talent of the restorer.  However, for me I think it's a one time thing (unless I need cover attached for a really big time book that I have coverless).  Reason is it just takes too long...  As far as money, I think rule of thumb for moderate professional is 40%-60% of guide so you really need to love the book and make sure the math works. imo.  

2 hours ago, path4play said:

Cool book.

I decided to get a book restored, because it is my all time fav, I couldn't afford a high grade and I really appreciate the artistic talent of the restorer.  However, for me I think it's a one time thing (unless I need cover attached for a really big time book that I have coverless).  Reason is it just takes too long...  As far as money, I think rule of thumb for moderate professional is 40%-60% of guide so you really need to love the book and make sure the math works. imo.  

It is a book I always wanted and I think the math would be in my favor.  On this one I think there are only 45 or so cgc copies and of those I think 28 are restored, so it would be in good company.

A dissenting opinion from the route you want to go but: if the restoration is limited to tear seals and color touch, I'd have it removed and slab it for a universal label. I think for that particular book ( especially if the pages are decent ) a 2.0 unrestored will bring you a better return if that day comes than a 'restored to higher grade' 2c

.....oh and (worship)

Description

"Amateur Restoration Includes: Moderate amount of color touch on cover, pieces added to cover. Cover & 2 pieces of back cover reattached with tape. Moderate amount of tape on cover & interior." 

To much work to "undo"?

24 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Description

"Amateur Restoration Includes: Moderate amount of color touch on cover, pieces added to cover. Cover & 2 pieces of back cover reattached with tape. Moderate amount of tape on cover & interior." 

To much work to "undo"?

In this case, I would agree, too much to remove 

2 hours ago, ablue said:

Fantastic book! I always wanted to get one. Did you decide on who would be restoring this book?

I have only heard good things about Hero Restoration. Any dissenting or confirming opinions?

15 minutes ago, ender said:

I have only heard good things about Hero Restoration. Any dissenting or confirming opinions?

I once had my Cap#1 restored by Mark Wilson in the late 80's and Matt Nelson of CCS? did my More fun #55.. I think though with the caliber of book you have the best in my opinion would be The restoration lab

Restoration lab  She is supposed to be the best..

10 hours ago, ablue said:

I once had my Cap#1 restored by Mark Wilson in the late 80's and Matt Nelson of CCS? did my More fun #55.. I think though with the caliber of book you have the best in my opinion would be The restoration lab

Restoration lab  She is supposed to be the best..

Thanks, I will certainly check on it.

5 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Recommend leaving the comic as is. With the amateur resto, Susan C. is not going to want to cut off the offending moderate amount of amateur color touches to remove the bleed through. :x

That's right..The bleed through could be a problem.. But check anyways ..You never know. Is there any moderate amount of bleed through on the cover looking on the inside page?

It really depends on what was done.  Where are the pieces that were added and how much color touch is done.  If the whole spine is done and bleeds through you would need to replace that paper and re restore it.  I think Susan (restoration Lab) would do a appraisal but with a book like this there could be hidden problems.  My gut says there is too much work to un restore it but I would certainly find out.  It would be better in a professional holder then amateur IMO but I would try to keep it away from extensive.

Let us know how it goes.

James G