• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beautiful Stories for Unknown Children

30 posts in this topic

My bad! I meant to write Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. My wife just got a 22 from Mile High Comics. The Overstreet notes that the later issues are tough to find due to low print runs. I was disappointed with Mile High calling the 22 a Near Mint; it was more like a 9.0 than a 9.4. Anyway, it's a great title and a crack up to read. It's one of my favorite books.

I think you mean Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. And good luck, it's a tough project. On my list of collecting goals eventually as well.

Was it #27 that was one of Ian's last few books? I sold some issues in the 20s recently and I'd seen none of them previously. Not that I'd been looking all that hard, but still... I see a lot of books and I'd never seen those.

I don't think I have ever seen a complete run in HG on ebay. I stopped looking a while ago. But mostly they are incomplete/partial runs or copies which I suspect were not HG. For a collecting period where most everything can be found in multiples in HG, this title is relatively tough to get. At least that's my impression.

Now if you are asking why I would want to collect it, that's a totally different thing. insane.gif

I think you mean Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. And good luck, it's a tough project. On my list of collecting goals eventually as well.

Was it #27 that was one of Ian's last few books? I sold some issues in the 20s recently and I'd seen none of them previously. Not that I'd been looking all that hard, but still... I see a lot of books and I'd never seen those.

I seem to recall Ian mentioning completing this series as being one of the unexpected toughies for him. I remember buying the first few issues off the rack as a kid and kind of lost interest after 4 or 5 issues for some reason. That first issue is great though with the clowns.

I seem to recall Ian mentioning completing this series as being one of the unexpected toughies for him. I remember buying the first few issues off the rack as a kid and kind of lost interest after 4 or 5 issues for some reason. That first issue is great though with the clowns.

From the rarely-seen nowadays Mr. Levine:

By far, and I mean BY FAR, the toughest modern DC to acquire is a complete set of Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children.

An absolutely FULL set consists of issues 1 to 30, plus the special prestige squarebound "Cotton Candy Autopsy", plus the Trade Paperback "What If This Were Heaven, Wouldn't That Be Hell", plus the ultra ultra rare giveaway PREVIEW.

Acquiring all 33 items is next to impossible, particularly as issue number 27 HAS to be the single rarest comic from the last twenty years.

It took me nearly three years of incredibly intense searching to complete the set, and apart from the first ten issues, they almost never come up.

I know of no-one else but me who has managed all thirty three items.

Ian also had trouble with Legion Lost #1... an issue that I picked up for $2 on eBay... of course that was after he'd gotten it. Still... it is always weird to see the cyclicity in some title's collectablility...

Yeah, super rare.

I just said relative to other copper runs it was difficult for me to track down a high grade complete set. I'm not saying they need to get Gerber numbers or whatever. They are copper books after all.

Plus, I would not be so sure Chuck's would be high grade (9.6) anyhow.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe I'll try to put the run together for a summer project....

Yo, all you lil' BSFUCers out there... You can now visit our official web site at beautifulstoriesforuglychildren.com

It's just up and still very much under construction, so it doesn't really look and function all that well right now, but it will be pretty much 100% in a month or two. We're scanning all the books and pushing for a "collected works" deal in the near future, as well as exploring the netherworld of television. The site will also link you to a special Cotton Candy Autopsy section where you'll be able to view short animations of the further adventures of the clowns. Hopefully one every three months or so (or sooner, if Dan's workload lightens). You can hit the trailer for all of that at http://www.beautifulstoriesforuglychildren.com/cca.html

It's not yet linked to the site.

Happy to hear there are so many fans and collectors out there. We'll see what we can do about getting the books republished.

Dave (aka Joey Punchinello)

I've loved BSFUC ever since I read about the wacky hijinks of the "Dead Johnsons" So it's no wonder I think that movie on the site is HEE-Larryus (just wish is was downloadable).

Might have to re-think submitting my run of BSFUC.

Look forward to seeing what else you plan on doing with the site. Keep us posted.

Yea, I have heard that it is really tough to get all 30 in high grade, but I didn't have a problem. I see high grades for sale all the time.

LOVE THIS TITLE!!!

Still looking for the 2 trade paperbacks. Any out there for sale?

Alex cloud9.gif