• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collections drying up?
4 4

485 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Robot Man said:

But what kind of collections? Stuff from the '80's on is all over the place and pretty easy to find. How often do you find GA and SA collections and non-common keys? And how many of them are OO?

Half the collections are silver age up. the other half is common stuff.  in my entire career in comics, ive only been offered 1 golden age collection and more than half of the collections are OO.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

agree.    Couldn't tell anyone WTF happened in it either despite owning one for a while.

Blob and yourself must have come from a different era than me I guess.  When I was first into comics from the late 80's to around 94 or so nearly everything revolved around the X-Men.  The three friends I had that were serious fans knew all about the bronze to copper age X-Men universe, the characters origins, etc.  Even the two LCS owners that I visit with since I got back into the hobby about 6 months ago are able to reminisce with me about those issues.  

How do you not remember Nightcrawler almost being burned at a stake in Germany or Storm flying around naked in Kenya, Wolverine resigning by slicing his CO's tie, and Colossus smashing that tractor when Professor X recruited them?  These were the origins of characters that were the focal point of the Marvel Universe for over a decade.

Maybe I am wrong in projecting what I consider to be key eras in the comic universe onto everyone else.  Like I say, I've only been back into the hobby about half a year and the friends I used to collect with moved on long ago.  The only people I have to discuss this stuff with are the LCS owners and they are roughly the same age as me.  There is a convention in my city coming this fall.  I will probably get a better feel for the industry if I attend that.         

On 6/6/2017 at 9:43 PM, october said:

It so odd, I have been finding more gold than ever, but silver and bronze are super slow. I bought an OO Atomic Age collection this past month of a few hundred books, but finding ASM 300 or TOD 10 or Batman 227 at margin has become VERY tough in buying venues where it was not nearly so difficult before. 

The RULE OF 25 at play!

Let's not give CGC the idea of entombing us as comic book collectors, please?

We are all "keys" in our own way. We are the keyholes' delight. 

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Let's not give CGC the idea of entombing us as comic book collectors, please?

We are all "keys" in our own way. We are the keyholes' delight. 

If they have it say "From the collection of __________" or "______ Pedigree" it may be more acceptable.

:jokealert:

It would be one step away from :

Image result for kiss coffin image

-bc

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:
On 6/6/2017 at 4:29 PM, Fan Boy said:

I once tried one 20+ years old bubble gum stick that I opened a vintage pack of hockey cards in 1990s. That pack was from early 1970s.

I did that out of both curiously and a friend double dared me.

My answer ... :sick:

When I was a younger man my friend and I smoked a lame joint we found in his house.  It was his stepfather's and he'd been saving it since woodstock. 

When I was in Alaska in the summer of about 1986/1987 we had all our gear stored in the back of a semi- container.  One day I was walking back to the back of the thing to get to my gear, and their was a joint laying on the floor.  I left it alone, but after about the third day of walking past it, I picked it up and stashed it in my gear.  Later that winter I got massively high about 6-8 times off that single lost-and-found joint.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

"To test this hypothesis, give a random old school fan a quiz on the plot of Giant Size X-Men 1.  Many would pass it with flying colors."

Hah!  I owned it, I read it (it was a beater), and sold it, all within the last 15 years.  I cannot for the life of me tell you what happened.  Vaguely remember Wolverine being grumpy.

I couldn't tell you what happened either, and I bought it off the newsstand.

4 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

Blob and yourself must have come from a different era than me I guess.  When I was first into comics from the late 80's to around 94 or so nearly everything revolved around the X-Men.  The three friends I had that were serious fans knew all about the bronze to copper age X-Men universe, the characters origins, etc.  Even the two LCS owners that I visit with since I got back into the hobby about 6 months ago are able to reminisce with me about those issues.  

How do you not remember Nightcrawler almost being burned at a stake in Germany or Storm flying around naked in Kenya, Wolverine resigning by slicing his CO's tie, and Colossus smashing that tractor when Professor X recruited them?  These were the origins of characters that were the focal point of the Marvel Universe for over a decade.

Maybe I am wrong in projecting what I consider to be key eras in the comic universe onto everyone else.  Like I say, I've only been back into the hobby about half a year and the friends I used to collect with moved on long ago.  The only people I have to discuss this stuff with are the LCS owners and they are roughly the same age as me.  There is a convention in my city coming this fall.  I will probably get a better feel for the industry if I attend that.         

I'm more with you.  While I haven't read that story in decades (I probably page through 108-137 every year or two though) I remember main gist of the story and when you mention those origin panels I can picture them all, right down to the general's tie.

Not sure it matters about the stories after 150 considering 94-150 are pretty much the best mainstream comics of that period. A few years ago multiple board members including myself said that X-Men basically ended with 175. Great stuff up to 175 and then starts repeating itself, becoming even more soap opera, etc. And I can't tell you how disappointed I was with Annual 7 after how tremendous annuals 3-6 were. Annual 8 was probably even worse.

48 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I couldn't tell you what happened either, and I bought it off the newsstand.

I've never read GSXM1 or even held one in my hands for that matter. I had some that I bought off the rack from 100-110 or so but sold them without much thought. I don't think I even read those ones either (not uncommon as I basically bought anything new that was on the rack) -- probably why I sold all my X-Men in 1986 for peanuts.  Not the greatest move but if something isn't important to you, it just isn't. I might have missed out on some good stories though as I find the X-Men movies entertaining and know enough about them to understand what is going on. But i couldn't tell you one thing that happened in that classic GSXM1 issue.

5 hours ago, october said:

Well, TOD 10 would be the rule of 44 and Batman 227 would be the rule of 47....but sure. 

The back end - the codicil is the RULE OF 75. That's why you're finding Atom Age stuff. Getting up on years now - all the people who bought those books and wanted them are (literally) dying off.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:17 PM, Foolkiller said:

Interesting topic Andy.  Without giving away any state secrets, my buying this year hasn't slowed, but the network I work in is fairly extensive and I have several good leads for very high value, high end fresh material.  

This year I bought an OO Golden Age collection (co-owned it, was discussed on the boards a little) and that had some really nice stuff (Tec 31, 33, Marvel 2 etc), an extensive high grade Bronze collection that was deep in multiples of BA keys in very high grade, a SA collection with all major keys (except AF 15).  These were all done through historic networks.  The collections are out there.  Yes, harder to get, but I've felt that leg work has increased slightly, there are still a lot of really nice collections groups of books coming out.  

I'm in agreement.  I've never had as many SA and BA collectors contact me about selling.  Baby Boomers are downsizing and don't want to bring their collections to their new smaller homes.  The problem as I see it is the over emphasis on keys.  There is nothing that elicits yawns as much as average grade mid-run SA DCs and Marvels.  There seems to be no floor right now on these books.  Nobody wants them.  High grade - no problem.  Average - forget it.  Today's market is as weird as I've ever seen it.

20 minutes ago, Moondog said:

I'm in agreement.  I've never had as many SA and BA collectors contact me about selling.  Baby Boomers are downsizing and don't want to bring their collections to their new smaller homes.  The problem as I see it is the over emphasis on keys.  There is nothing that elicits yawns as much as average grade mid-run SA DCs and Marvels.  There seems to be no floor right now on these books.  Nobody wants them.  High grade - no problem.  Average - forget it.  Today's market is as weird as I've ever seen it.

Everything sells for the right price. At this point in my life, I just don't want to do the work on this stuff. Nor, do I want to store them until I do. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Everything sells for the right price. At this point in my life, I just don't want to do the work on this stuff. Nor, do I want to store them until I do. 

I agree.

Selling late 60s midgrade Marvel run books is also about as boring as it gets.

38 minutes ago, october said:

I agree.

Selling late 60s midgrade Marvel run books is also about as boring as it gets.

This seems like not a big deal but it trickles down to everyone in the industry.  If big name sellers can only get $5 for a low/mid grade Silver-Age book then they can only pay $2 for it so whole collections are reduced to only a couple hundred dollars if the keys are gone.  And these are books people have sometimes paid $10 a piece to buy not that long ago and are in no way drek.  We are talking about 50 year old comic books being delegated to the $2-$3 category which sounds crazy to me.

Edited by 1Cool

20 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

This seems like not a big deal but it trickles down to everyone in the industry.  If big name sellers can only get $5 for a low/mid grade Silver-Age book then they can only pay $2 for it so whole collections are reduced to only a couple hundred dollars if the keys are gone.  And these are books people have sometimes paid $10 a piece to buy not that long ago and are in no way drek.  We are talking about 50 year old comic books being delegated to the $2-$3 category which sounds crazy to me.

Believe it or not ... I have seen that few times in con shows like that. In fact, I was one of the buyers in buying some $2 low/mid SA books. One vender had 8 long boxes in the $2.00 category ... all 50+ years old books raw! No big keys but did have few little keys. I got a few worth $10-15 ea.

I did that because I was bored on the train trip and I want to read good old school comics anyway. :bigsmile: