• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever bought multiple copies of when it came out?
2 2

101 posts in this topic

The first comics in multiples was ASM #300 x 3 and then Spider-man #1 (McFarlane) x 5  Sold the ASM 300's back in the 90's, but ironically still have the Spider-man #1 books. 

I "meant" to buy 5 copies of Daredevil #1.   In fact some 20 years later I went looking for the multiple copies and could only find the single copy I bought (which did grade out years later  as an 8.5).  Subsequently bought an 8.5 and a 5.0 which I've kept over the past 15 years...

So actually I've never bought a multiple copy of anything off the newstand...:cry:

1977 we were buying multiples like crazy thats when the whole #1 fad started and people stocked up on peter parker, nova, omega, ms marvel, spider woman, HTD, eternals, starfire, etc etc etc.  WE all figgered we gonna be rich.

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Seriously? You want the truth?  Ok, here goes: in early 00s sold off my entire comic collection including the Dazzelers. Probably sold em for less then pennies. Here's the kicker, about four month ago (after rediscovering the hobby again in July 2016) bought a dazzeler 1 (again) for , I dunno, 8 or 10 bucks or 20 bucks. (It's high grade) You know just to have it cause those 50 copies were a big deal in my comic collecting youth. I worked in a comic shop getting paid in credit and that was the first direct only book, I think. I do remember putting stickers on the bags each book was in and writing down something about the color difference on each book, like there was a variation on the intesitites of color on front cover as if a printing mistake. 

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or was I just a crazy comic collecting kid?

Great story! I remember nothing about color variations in the cover being touted by my LCS, but I do remember him hand-selling and pre-selling the bejeebus out of it because it was the first direct-only comic. I remember wondering why the heck Marvel was hyping the heck out of a disco chick nearly 5 years after Saturday Night Fever...we were probably both crazy comic-collecting kids! 

8 hours ago, piper said:

I never have purchased multiple copies of a book off the newsstand....:ohnoez:

Yeah, I've never purchased multiple copies of a new issue. Heck, even purchasing a single copy of a new issue has been a relatively rare event for me.

My brother and I bought two copies of the Amazing Spider-Man 150 when it hit the stands in 1975, if I have the year correct.  Anniversary book.  Um, sorta.  I started buying two issues of ASM with issue 333 and did that to I left collecting at issue 600. Also bought two copies of Spawn 1.

Edited by Spider-Variant
Typo

Secret Wars #1 1984 bought 3 copies, was sure there were gonna be worth $ 

As a matter of fact I bought multiple copies of almost the whole series.

I will send a No Prize to the first one who can guess which issue of Secret Wars I did not get multiple copies of.....

4 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Secret Wars #1 1984 bought 3 copies, was sure there were gonna be worth $ 

As a matter of fact I bought multiple copies of almost the whole series.

I will send a No Prize to the first one who can guess which issue of Secret Wars I did not get multiple copies of.....

When I started collecting ASM, I got a subscription, but the LCS always had the issue earlier, so I always broke done and bought it from the LCS to avoid waiting.  So I ended up with doubles from about 262 to 274 or so.  

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
18 hours ago, piper said:

I never have purchased multiple copies of a book off the newsstand....:ohnoez:

Yeah, I've never purchased multiple copies of a new issue. Heck, even purchasing a single copy of a new issue has been a relatively rare event for me.

To be fair, I am not 100% sure I bought both of the Ms Marvel copies I ended up with at the same time. It was the only issue I had two copies of from those 7/11 days - sold my under copy last year. I was of the same mindset of others who felt more than one copy meant one less copy of something else. I would buy any new super hero comic I found on the rack every time I went up to the store though I stopped at some point buying any books that were reprints.

(17) copies of Hulk 340. It was McFarlane who was super hot at the time and the first meeting of Hulk and Wolverine since IH181, and a great cover to boot. I'll never forget Lisa Forgione's (Superhero Universe in Boston)look she gave me as I pulled up to the counter with my stack. "Did you leave any for the other customers?" Me: "Yes I did...there's 2 left"

It's funny to think about now, but buying multiple copies never occurred to me back then (grew up reading in the 80's); I just wanted to make sure I had one copy of each issue. First time I would say would probably be McSpidey #1, but that was to have one of each version to open and one to keep bagged. Think I did the same with Death of Superman and the poly-bagged issues of X-Force #1. Of course bought all the covers for Jim Lee's X-Men #1, but, again, these didn't seem like buying multiple copies to me.

It's only been in the last few years that I've started buying several copies of the same issue purposely, but I also care about the grades now, so I like to make sure I have multiple high-grade copies of an issue. Back then I really didn't think about condition even though I did keep my books bagged and boarded.

14 hours ago, NoMan said:

Seriously? You want the truth?  Ok, here goes: in early 00s sold off my entire comic collection including the Dazzelers. Probably sold em for less then pennies. Here's the kicker, about four month ago (after rediscovering the hobby again in July 2016) bought a dazzeler 1 (again) for , I dunno, 8 or 10 bucks or 20 bucks. (It's high grade) You know just to have it cause those 50 copies were a big deal in my comic collecting youth. I worked in a comic shop getting paid in credit and that was the first direct only book, I think. I do remember putting stickers on the bags each book was in and writing down something about the color difference on each book, like there was a variation on the intesitites of color on front cover as if a printing mistake. 

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or was I just a crazy comic collecting kid?

Could it be this? http://www.recalledcomics.com/Dazzler1ErrorVariant.php